I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SWB 806-1 and BB806-1 Blank diameters
Posted by: Jason Marx (170.199.167.---)
Date: September 06, 2022 03:25PM

Hello,

I am needing the diameters of these North Fork Composite blanks (SWB 806-1 and BB806-1). I ordered both of the blanks last week from NFC, however, I am needing to order reel seats and winding checks. Does anyone have these diameters at these intervals? The intervals are from the butt of the rod: 14?, 18.75?, 20.5?, 21.5". I am planning on using the 14" Carbon Fiber Rear Grip, Alps MVT Toray reel seats, 1.5" Carbon Fiber Fore Grip, with Alps TRS and TRC trim rings, and winding checks on both rods.

Thanks!
Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SWB 806-1 and BB806-1 Blank diameters
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2022 03:29PM

Jason,

That information is both on the product page, and the catalog.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Take a look at the "additional information" tab.

Best,
Aleks

Date: September 06, 2022 03:46PM

I don't see that information on the additional information tab or in the catalog. I only see the butt and tip diameter. I am needing the diameter at 14 inches, 18.75 inches, 20.5 inches, and 21.5 inches FROM the butt. Mudhole has charts available for the MHX blanks that give the blank diameter for every 2 inch interval, but I don't see anything like that for the NFC blanks. I called NFC to see if they could tell me and they said they didn't have that information and directed me here. I would like to order the reel seat and parts so I can build the rod when the blank comes in instead of having to wait for the blank to come in and then another week for the rest of the parts to come in.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2022 03:55PM

Jason,

Butt and Tip diameters is all that we (NFC) provide.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Posted by: Branndon Prevost (66.170.210.---)
Date: September 11, 2022 04:16PM

Aleks,
Is there a specific reason why this information isn’t available? I mean I do all the measurements from the butt ends when I order a rod from you guys for my own personal builds because I usually build multiple versions of same rod but it is kinda a PITA when I order something new and don’t know what reel seat, winding check sizes ect to order while waiting on the blank. Not having those measurements can turn a 2 week start time into a 4 week wait on parts. I’m not griping but I think it’s something most of us would be happy with. Have a nice day.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 02:39PM

Branndon,
How could they possibly size the blank for reel seats, metal winding checks, etc. when they have no idea how you will build the blank, or components you will use. the Rainshadow charts and MHX charts only work if you build it like they do, not exactly custom rod building IMO. If you want to speed things up, don't use exposed blank reel seats on quick builds, or have a supply of your most used sizes in your shop, buy a bunch of rubber winding checks in the approximate sizes you would use, etc. then the exact sizes are not as critical, this is how the rest of us have done things over many years.
Another option is to buy your blanks and components at the same place so they can size everything including your tip top and then deliver it all in your blank's shipping tube on the same nickel.
If it hasn't already happened NFC is going to have a retail store front with some components at their new plant, I would guess they may be Batson products and maybe REC because of the earlier business they have done together.

Date: September 12, 2022 04:11PM

Spencer,

MHX list diameters for each rod blank they carry in 2" increments starting at the butt of the rod up out to 20" from the butt. This is all we are looking for as you can generally figure out the approx. sizes for any length in between measurements from there. Not everyone has the luxury of having a stockpile of reel seats and winding checks and this would help cut down drastically on the time it takes to build the rod waiting on shipping. Some of us are just starting out and have limited resources to work with. You also can't always get all of your parts and your blank from the same place either. Some are on back order in some places and sometimes a supplier only carries 2 of the 3 parts that you may need. Also for instance on these two blanks I purchased from NFC's website, they don't have reel seats and winding checks as an option, so I have to order them from elsewhere. I ordered these blanks on 9/1 and as of 9/12 they still have not shipped. Now, I will have to wait until whenever I actually receive the blank to take measurements, then wait another week for the rest of the parts. If I had these measurements, I could get the rest of my parts (possibly before they are sold out and placed on back order) and have them ready to start the build when the rod blanks arrive.

What we are asking for can be easily done and would be a great customer service tool on NFC's part.

Example: [cdn.shopify.com]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 04:54PM

There is a cost for the information you are wanting! The measuring, web site design and maintenance are not done without costs. As a long time (once a beginner) I have never used the MHX data, nor had a reasonable expectation that it would be supplied. NFC is a reasonably recent mfg, with growing issues, and to expect them to offer what one established retailer supply's is questionable.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 12, 2022 07:03PM

Jason,
Welcome to the world of rod building. My favorite dealers used to give me the option of sending all the parts together when they were all available, or all they had and send the B/O stuff later, the B/O stuff was usually on their dime as I had already paid in full. I can't imagine with manufacturing deviations in rod building as it is, how you could depend on those measurements over a production run. How many would you have to measure to get a feel for the average? You can't always depend on tip top sizes let alone the rest of the blank.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 12, 2022 07:18PM

Jason, MHX provides a great service by doing this. I don't know of anyone else who does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster