I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cabelas blanks??
Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 07:58AM

I had a Cabela's Tourmament zx frog rod that was stolen. The blank was tzxc-73h it was 7 feet 3 inchs rated for 17-30 lb line and 1/4 oz to 11/4 oz. I would like to make one. Does anybody know who was supplying these blanks or could you recommend a similar blank? Thanks Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cabelas blanks??
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 10:46AM

PB731MHXF
Length: 7 ft 3 in
Action Angle: XF • 68-degrees (RDA) • 79-degrees (CCS)
Power: Med Hvy / 605gr (RDA) • ERN 26.3 (CCS)
Weight: 2.11oz.
Butt Dia: 14.35 mm
Tip Size: 1.80mm (5.0)
Lure Wt: 1/2 to 1 oz
Sugg Line Wt: 12 – 20lb mono
20 – 30lb braid

Point Blanks are great blanks. I have the 731MXF, very versatile. Not quite powerful enough for what you want, but PB731MHXF should work.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 11:08AM

Batson RX8 XMB874.5-TC built for frogs, Schneiders lists them on the site in the Hot Specials section at a great price.

Date: September 05, 2022 11:50AM

Good find, Spencer.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 05:51PM

Unless you want a really really stout rod for frogs I would avoid the RX8 mentioned above. I have one that I haven't finished building yet. I was going to make it a frog rod but it just doesn't have enough tip for casting frogs. I also used to have Cabelas zx 76 heavy and to me it has a much nicer tip for frogs. I have a point blank 73HXF and it would be the perfect frog rod. However the point blank is in a totally different world in terms of cost and performance than the Cabelas rod, which I believe was $100.

Date: September 05, 2022 07:05PM

What does "enough tip" mean?

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: September 06, 2022 07:30AM

I believe he is saying the tip doesn't load enough during the cast to sling frogs as well as he prefers.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 06, 2022 10:34AM

Does "How much a rod loads" mean how much it bends during the cast? During a cast the line is released when the rod reaches its maximum bend backward. The rod can only pull the line and the frog. You can't push a rope - or fishline.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: September 06, 2022 10:56AM

Sam, it is very rare that I will recommend a MHX but their MB874 is a good one for frogs

Date: September 06, 2022 01:39PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does "How much a rod loads" mean how much it
> bends during the cast? During a cast the line is
> released when the rod reaches its maximum bend
> backward. The rod can only pull the line and the
> frog. You can't push a rope - or fishline.

This is 100% false. The line is not released during the maximum bend in a proper cast. The road must be unloading prior to releasing the line spool in order to achieve a proper cast. The unloading is what pulls the line and propels the lure. The lure then pulls the line and unwinds the spool in the case of baitcasting.

Date: September 06, 2022 04:58PM

Aaron in typical Phil fashion he is just there to annoy

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 06, 2022 05:56PM

Yeah, I like a softer tip to throw frogs. I feel that a typical 3/8 -1/2 oz frog wouldn't really load the RX8 mentioned above. It feels like a rod meant to throw an ounce or more. My preference of course, others may differ.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 07, 2022 04:20PM

When you spin-cast you release the line from your finger BEFORE your rod begins to straighten out. Check and see. Just try waiting for your rod to straighten out and pour all its stored energy into your cast BEFORE you release the line from your finger. [Good luck] Just remember, your rod can only pull a line. Your rod can't push your line. If you have evidence to the contrary let's see it!

Date: September 07, 2022 04:59PM

Phil you are wrong on every account. When you “spin cast” you are using a reel with a push button and a closed face, you are confusing this technique with fishing a spinning rod.

I would figure someone who seems to possess such great knowledge would know the difference

Date: September 08, 2022 06:24AM

Max bend on the rod happens right at the moment you get into your forward swing. If you release the line then you will not cast as intended. Unless you aim like I do in golf. About 90 degrees away from where you want to hit it. From the instant you start your fore-swing on, the rod is indeed unloading.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2022 07:58AM

If it's a rod dedicated frog rod, I really don't see the need for a blank with the sensitivity of an Immortal. I have a rod built on an Immortal IMMC72MH that I built for flipping and pitching, but I use it as my frog rod when I need one. I have no problem casting 1/2 oz frogs with it, and it has plenty of power for getting fish out of heavily matted grass.

If the Revelation version of the 72MH has the same power and casting characteristics as the Immortal, that would be a blank you may want to consider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster