I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip
Posted by: Wallace coulter (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 12:03AM

Good afternoon all! I had someone build a rod for me with Carbon grips.3-5 years ago. CFX was the grip brand I believe. Long story short the core of the grip was coming apart almost like it’ was dissolving. Does anyone have a clue to possibly why? The builder says the maker of the grip has or had issues. Which all brings me to today. Was there a core issue or a carbon interface issue. I’m new to rod building however I have been tackle crafting for 10 yrs so my basic skill set is solid. I’m a detail type person and don’t want to repeat the issue as the rod was built with quality components .

Thanks in advance
Tight lines

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 12:58AM

Could it have been crushed?
Pretty sure the core is urethane foam.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 01:53AM

For the most part, the carbon skin is just paint, the core is the strength. Years ago, I saw a 160 lb. fellow at CFX here in Oregon step on a bare grip without damaging it and my 130 lb. wife has done it also. About the only way I could think of that isn't pretty drastic is if the core had an air bubble in it before the skin was installed. I had some of my own hand pours do that, but not a commercial foam that is done in controlled conditions.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2022 07:56AM

Wallace coulter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good afternoon all! I had someone build a rod for
> me with Carbon grips.3-5 years ago. CFX was the
> grip brand I believe. Long story short the core of
> the grip was coming apart almost like it’ was
> dissolving. Does anyone have a clue to possibly
> why? The builder says the maker of the grip has or
> had issues. Which all brings me to today. Was
> there a core issue or a carbon interface issue.
> I’m new to rod building however I have been
> tackle crafting for 10 yrs so my basic skill set
> is solid. I’m a detail type person and don’t
> want to repeat the issue as the rod was built with
> quality components .
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tight lines

Made the way that Andy and I originated them, there was no problem with any sort of "interface" issue. I still have the very first foam-core, carbon-skin grips ever made and they're pushing 17 years old now and appear, function and are as sound as they were when I made them.

I cannot speak to the methods used by subsequent makers. Quality of foam, process, etc., have been subject to small changes based on what any manufacturers may have required to mass produce them.

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 04:48PM

The outer carbon sleeve was still intact just the backer was falling apart. Now that I know it was an”carbon interface” issue. (Installer) that puts my fear to rest. I kinda thought I smelled @#$%& when he gave me the excuse.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 05, 2022 05:13PM

I wonder if he used a solvent when cleaning up during the build that affected the foam core? I know acetone will eat certain foams. Maybe it was that?

As for a problem with CFX grips of that era. I suppose it's possible, but I have CFX grips from that era on a couple of my rods and they are just fine. I also built a grip using their grip making kit and it too is as strong as when I built it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 05:52PM

I think David may have the answer with the solvent suggestion. As has been stated many times on this forum there is no need to apply any solvent to a blank to "clean it up." The surface prep procedure in the library is best.

Posted by: Wallace coulter (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 08:42PM

I have another rod he did same material different style and have had no issues. He very well may have used acetone. The core reminded me of the old floral foam for fake flowers. I could push my finger in it and it would collapse. I like the grips but was concerned about it.. Thanks for the knowledge and help.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 09:15PM

I would say either a bad foam pour, or, as David said, solvent got it. Never had an issue with CFX grips.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2022 09:48PM

Using solvent on the blank would not affect the foam core. You'd have to pour it onto/into the core and keep it there for awhile to cause damage. Somebody just did a bad job on the foam construction.

I specified what type and density foam should be used for the core. I cannot control what others actually use or how they do it, but they are not all the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster