I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Etes72m or a k2 683 ml
Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: August 31, 2022 05:13PM

Rod to build for ned rig a rain shadow etes72m or a phenix k2 683ml

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Etes72m or a k2 683 ml
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2022 08:32PM

Neither. I would get an etes72ml. The medium will be too stout, if you mean traditional ned rigs on a jig 1/8 oz or less. Phenix makes great blanks, but I see no reason to pay significantly more vs the eternity.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 31, 2022 09:40PM

While I have no experience with the ETES72M blank, the CCS numbers Batson supplies for the RX10 blanks would have me thinking that Peter is right when he suggests the ETES72ML for a traditional Ned rig rod. 6# test or less and 1/8 oz jig head of less.

Batson lists the IP for the ETES72ML at 343 grams., I have a drop shot rod that I built on an NFC 6107 IM blank that has the same IP and when I don't have a drop shot rig on it, It makes a dandy Ned rig rod. It's a light powered blank though, and with the ETES72ML being 4" longer and the same IP, the ETES72ML is going to feel even more light powered. With a Batson listed AA of 76 - 77, I bet the ML would make an awesome drop shot rod as well

If you were going to be fishing a Ned rig and lighter 1/8 - 3/16 oz shaky heads on the same rod. I'd go with the ETES72M. Batson lists its' IP at 466 grams.

So if you are building a dual purpose rod I'd go with the ML for Ned rig / drop shot. And the M for a Ned rig / lighter shaky head.

I have no experience with Phenix blanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 01, 2022 09:39AM

I use an ETES72M spin rod and it's a fine rod/blank. I use it mostly for 1/8 and 3/16 oz tube jigs with 3.5 inch tubes for LMB and SMB. I also use it for 1/8 Neds and it casts and fishes them well. It has 466 grams power. As a comparison I also use a Point Blank 70MLF (499 grams power) for the same stuff. It also fishes them all well. Both are capable of handling 4 pounds and larger SMB in open water. And both make fine rods for casting light cranks and super flukes.

I suspect that while the ETES72ML can cast and fish the lures mentioned OK it may be a little deficient in power for handling decent sized fish.

Note that Point Blank describes its 499 gram blank as Medium Light power and Rainshadow lists its 466 gram power blank as Medium power. Note also that Rainshadow RX10 spin blanks described as Medium power range from 245 grams to 466. In the middle are Medium Light blanks of 312 and 343.

And a Fast action at 76 degrees AA and an Extra -Fast at 71 degrees.

Thus showing the importance of using CCS numbers when possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2022 10:09AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2022 09:10AM

Where are you finding the CCS numbers for the Batson blanks? I don't see them in the catalogs or in the on line specs for the blanks.

Date: September 04, 2022 10:01AM

They were posted on this forum months ago and I went to the link and copied them. Cannot find it on line now, but here they are. Seems like Rainshadow would have them more accessible in their catalog or somewhere easier to find.

CCS Intrinsic Power (grams) CCS Action Angle (degrees)
519 75 ETEC68M-SS
662 70 ETEC68MH-SS
597 75 ETEC72M-SS
681 72 ETEC72MH-SS
912 70 ETEC74H-SS
589 76 ETEC76M-SS
753 70 ETEC76MH-SS
312 76-77 ETES68ML-SS
245 71-72 ETES68MXF-SS
272 74-75 ETES610MXF-SS
343 76-77 ETES72ML-SS
466 75 ETES72M-SS

Date: September 04, 2022 10:09AM

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.reverse-dns.chicago)
Date: September 04, 2022 04:01PM

My favorite Ned rig rod is the St. Croix 7-0 MLF. I consider the 7-0 MF to be too heavy. I usually use jig heads between 1/16 and 1/8. If you are using a 1/4 head, a medium should be good. It looks like the Point Blank ML is more powerful than the St. Croix 7-0 MF rods, so I think that would be overkill and limit casting distance with lighter, traditional Ned rigs. For me, fishing clear water, I am using a 8 to 10 braid to 6 lb leader. The rod also doubles for dropshot well. I have probably caught more by on my 7-0 MLF rods than all my other rods combined.

I have not used a Point Blank rod yet though. If I ever build all the rods I have waiting, that will be next on my list. From what I have read on other bass focuses sites, at least a few rod builders consider the Point Blanks to be fantastic but not really finesses oriented actions.

Date: September 04, 2022 09:08PM

The Point Blank 70MLF at 19.9 ERN works fine with the lighter Neds. I use mine for finesse all the time and see no reason for any finesse detractors. I would be interested in knowing the ERN of the St Croix SCV 70MLF. I've not built or measured that blank. The SCV70MF is just under the Point Blank, but still, IMO, does fine for Neds. It is one of my favorite tube rods for 1/8 and 3/16 tube jigs (+ the tube).

Dean, you are talking about the SCV 7 foot, right? Not some other series of St Croix?

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 05, 2022 08:20AM

Michael,
Thanks!

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.reverse-dns.chicago)
Date: September 05, 2022 10:20AM

Yes, I am comparing the 7’ SCV’ MLF and MF to eachother. Also have a SC3. My SCV’s are factory ones, but I have a couple SCV blanks waiting for me to build as well. The best table I have found for comparing is the RDA table since the CC data for non-fly rod blanks seems pretty hard to find. It is nice that Point Blank publishes both methods.

Date: September 05, 2022 10:41AM

I have SCV70MF data if you want.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (50.230.173.---)
Date: September 06, 2022 10:49AM

Here is the data I am using to compare. Multiply the column in res by 100 to get power in grams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster