I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals over a layer of Epoxy
Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-249-240.myvzw.com)
Date: August 30, 2022 11:14PM

If you put a layer of epoxy down prior to putting Decals on, how long do you need to let it dry before putting the decals on the epoxy?
Would it be the same as if you were to put another coat of epoxy on? or do you need to wait longer for the epoxy to dry before
putting the decals on and applying another coat of epoxy over them.

Thanks

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals over a layer of Epoxy
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2022 06:50AM

I use peel and stick labels, and since I like to burnish them down aggressively, especially at the edges, I let the epoxy harden until it feels fully cured, sometimes a couple days. Aggressive burnishing with the decal protected by a layer of paper helps keep the edges from lifting. Then I apply CP thinly around the edges before the topcoat of epoxy.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 31, 2022 07:25AM

Full cure here too. I leave the left overs in my dish from first application. Once the leftover finish in the dish no longer takes deformation from a fingernail you are good to go.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: August 31, 2022 08:34AM

Thanks! That's what I was thinking since you have to burnish the decal on. Didn't think about putting CP on before epoxy. Can try.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 31, 2022 11:53AM

I wait until the epoxy will no longer fingerprint (tested in epoxy remains). I have found this to give very strong adhesion and never had a problem with this process. As epoxy cures, it is not a "drying" issue.

Date: August 31, 2022 01:41PM

Since CP dries quickly it seals the edge before the edge tends to lift. With slow curing epoxy sometimes it lifts the edge. It has a long time to work on the edge since it cures much more slowly than the CP dries.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 31, 2022 01:53PM

Never had an edge lift with the process I use. (above) and never use CP.

Date: August 31, 2022 04:29PM

Before using CP I would occasionally get an edge lift. Considering that there are probably hundreds of different specs on decals I think it's understandable that some might be better than others for edge security. I consider CP a good insurance policy.

Posted by: Ivan Hartavel (---)
Date: August 31, 2022 05:38PM

Same here 1st coat I let it dry completely then I put decals and I wrap them with thread fairly tight let it sit for 10 min take the thread off and it’s good for second coat

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 04, 2022 10:51AM

I never put decals over any thread wraps.
As a result,I never put decals over any epoxy.
I only put the decals on a bare blank.

Then, when I do any thread coatings, I do the decals at the same time.

Note:

Prior to ever using a decal, I will take my drill index and select a drill bit that is somewhat smaller than the size of the rod blank at the location where the decal is going to be placed. Then, I will simply take a strip of paper and do a tight wrap over the decal, and place a piece of tape over that to secure the decal tight to the undersized drill bit. I generally do this a day or so before applying the decal.

Then, when it comes time to apply the decal, I have the blank cleaned and ready for the decal. I simply untape the paper wrap over the decal and use the usual procedure to apply the decal.

Since, I have pre shaped the decal to fit the rod, I typically have no issues with the decal lifting.

Then, when I do my finish application over the thread wraps, I coat the decal at the same time.

No issues with edges lifting that way.

Date: September 04, 2022 11:36AM

An easy way to "clamp" a decal to the blank for a while before applying finish is to use electrical tape over a paper insulator over the blank/decal. Stretch it tight and there will be a lot of pressure on the decal. I don't have a power wrapper, so this is more efficient than thread.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: September 05, 2022 12:40PM

Forgive the newbie question but I am getting some lifting on my decal edges. I think it’s due to not putting the decal over epoxy or a hard smooth surface. The lifting has occurred when putting the decal on a painted portion of the blank, and more recently over a section coated with polyurethane. I’m thinking the paint and poly are still leaving a porous surface? I have burnished the decal quite aggressively so I don’t know. I’d like to try the CP method but don’t know what it stands for… lol

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 05, 2022 05:24PM

Hello Dennis.

CP stands for Color Preserver.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-249-202.myvzw.com)
Date: September 07, 2022 06:51PM

Thanks for the Info.

The reason that I had asked(I see that Roger Wilson doesn't put Epoxy down) was because the directions at Decal Connection specify to put Epoxy coating prior to applying Decals.

Stan

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 07, 2022 08:34PM

I just applied 2 different decals on the same rod. One decal was applied over black D thread on top of two coats of epoxy. The other was applied over a light blue/grey D thread over one coat of CP. Both came out great with no issues. I needed to find out which works best for me.

I have learned the hard way that using heat to smooth out the epoxy lifts the edges of the decals. Avoid this mistake at all cost.

Posted by: John Overton (---)
Date: September 14, 2022 12:46PM

I considering making waterslide decals on my inkjet printer.
Paper is readily available. Has anyone tried these?
Pros, cons?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 15, 2022 10:47AM

Hello John.

If you hit the search button type in "waterslide" change the time period to "all dates" hit the search, you will get 425 hits.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: September 16, 2022 09:38AM

John,
I have use SpinIt waterslide paper made by We R. (sold at Michaels).
They sell a clear and white background.
You will need to spray the finished product with a clear acrylic finish.
The finish I used was made by Mod Podge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster