I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Label Printer
Posted by: Trung Diep (---)
Date: August 24, 2022 03:21PM

Hello All

Im looking into making my own label. What printer are you guys using these days? I was looking at LTR website seeing Epson 400 and 800 size. Would 400 be enough to print label? Also I do see some rods have photo wrap on them. What printer would be good for this application?

Thanks
Trung

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Label Printer
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 05:47PM

I don't know the facts on all printers, but I do know that if you use inkjets you likely will end up with labels that will fade and severely change color in very little time exposed to sunlight. Been there, done that.

With inkjets you have no idea of the resistance of the inks to UV exposure, and likely will be disappointed in time.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: August 24, 2022 06:13PM

I've been using the Epson PX800 for several years and have been pleased overall with the results. The software is easy to us and importing images, fonts is easy. Be aware however that because the labels "print" thermally, you are limited to single colors on the label such as gold on clear, silver on clear, black on white, etc. Also because these labels are industrial in nature, they are thicker than the manufacturer's labels you'll receive along with your blank purchase. I've developed a habit of sealing the edges of the label with a color sealant to mask the edge of the thick labels if you plan on covering with epoxy. Also, I found than no matter how well I burnished the labels, I frequently had the edges lift after applying the epoxy- a well dried coat or two of Chromo Seal around the edges certainly helped.

Posted by: Michael Ward (166.196.89.---)
Date: August 24, 2022 06:49PM

I have the px800 and have printed a lot of labels on it. The resolution is higher than the 400 so of doing images or even script fonts and such the 800 can give better results.

I’ve not had issues with the labels curling - I apply a coat of finish to the blank first, and then once cured apply the label and then finish right over. Used to use nail polish (Sally Hard as Nails clear) to seal the edges but found it would yellow under Gen4 epoxy (perhaps wasn’t cured before applying the epoxy).

One thing that can help is to overwrap the label (before you remove the transfer tape) with thread for compression and let it sit an hour or two. Seems to prevent any minor voids due to surface imperfections

Date: August 25, 2022 12:40AM

@ Michael Danek

Thanks for the heads up. I will stay away from ink jet printers. I guess those photo wraps will be faded away long term?

@ Daniel Grundvig & Michael Ward

Would Epson 400 be good enough only to to print labei as in specs of rod? No image printing. Or should I bite the bullet and get the 800 series?

Thanks

Trung

Date: August 25, 2022 07:14AM

I have a few that held up fairly well, but most have at least significant color shift. The problem is that it's unpredictable. I think if you could get premium ink jet inks based on pigment color then it would be good enough, but I've not found that ink.

If you could get these inks, then specs would certainly work fine, and probably images, too.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 25, 2022 07:51AM

I use a Roland SG2-300 to print all my labels. Not recommended for small batch. I have been fortunate to have access to one through my occupation.

Date: August 25, 2022 10:42AM

sorry but I cant answer your question about the Epson 400 since I've only seen labels printed on my 800. I would suggest contacting Larry at LRT- he can probably show you sample labels printed on each machine so you can make an informed decision. If at all possible, I'd go with the higher resolution because you'll eventually want to add an image. I just printed a label for a friend who wanted a dry fly image along with his name in gold on clear for a translucent green blank. The resolution of the hackle's hair strands was very impressive!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 11:37AM

What do you need to print decals like the ones I am getting from Decal Connection?

Date: August 25, 2022 01:15PM

The Epson printers do not print decals per se but what I would call industrial labels in single color lettering/image on clear or a few colored backgrounds. It's a thermal process which does not use ink.

Date: August 26, 2022 01:46AM

@Michael Danek, Daniel, Aaron

I have contacted Larry at LRT , He will be mailing me some samples to checked out.

Thank you for all your feedback fellas. Greatly appreciated!!!

@Mark

I will look into that.

Thank you

Posted by: Dean Veltman (104.165.153.---)
Date: August 26, 2022 07:05AM

I talked to Epson yesterday, and they recommend the 800 due to the higher resolution for labels the size that we use on fishing rods. They also referred me to LRT and knew that he worked with custom rod builders on label stuff, so he is known for that at Epson as well.

Date: August 26, 2022 04:07PM

Thanks Dean

Date: August 27, 2022 07:45AM

My experience with Decal Connections decals has been excellent for my logo which goes onto every rod, so I ordered a sheet of them and they have held up very well for many years. For "one of" labels, might not make sense. I write the CCS specs , date, and signature so do not have other decal needs.

I have given up on ink jet decals, suggest when buying a printer that one needs to understand not only the resolution and color capabilities, but also the UV stability.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (104.165.153.---)
Date: August 27, 2022 09:22AM

For me, I just build for myself and Christmas gifts for family. So, I try to stick with the factory labels when possible. But, sometimes I alter the blank and accurate specs would be helpful (and my handwriting is AWFUL on flat surfaces, much less writing on a blank). I did do an inkjet label once (on a Shikari blank a few years before they closed for time reference) and that has held up just fine. I do not recall how I did it anymore. I think I just printer a black background and white letters. It still looks good, but my rods do not sit in the sun all day either. Back in college (1999 or 1998) I did an aquatic insect collection and did labels on an inkjet. Our professor said that the alcohol in the vials would erase the ink if you did not use a laser printer. Well, it is now 2022 and my labels are still just fine and dandy. But, you would need to test and verify that for your own use.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 27, 2022 05:32PM

Unless you have the need for a large number of decal, Decal Connection make sense. The flexibility and advise the have pays off in the long run.

Date: August 28, 2022 03:29AM

@ Michael

Yep....my thoughts the same. If creating a logo for your rod that would be good ordering from them Get same logo all in one sheet. But for rod specs....no. It can get expensive.

@ Dean

Thanks for your great feedback......greatly appreciated!!!!!

@ Phil

I think only for logos or your rod brand would be more suitable at Decal Connections.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Posted by: Jeffrey Huber (---)
Date: January 01, 2023 10:58PM

@Daniel Grundvig,

I just purchased an Epson 400. I’ve been searching for Silver on Clear but am having trouble. Is there a place you’d (or anyone on here) recommend to find the silver/clear? Thank you sir.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 02, 2023 01:58AM

LTR has color combos found nowhere else.

Date: January 02, 2023 10:03AM

I've only been able to find silver on clear at LTR

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster