I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Value of Fenwick flyrod blanks
Posted by: mike garrahan (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 03:31AM

I picked up a bunch of vintage brown glass Fenwick flyrod blanks at an estate sale recently. These are some of the blank numbers. FL 90-6F. FL 84-6F, FL 102-7F, FL96-6F, FL 102-6F, FL 112-9F, FL 108-8F, FL 108-8F and FL 108-9F. I only build saltwater rods so I don't have much knowledge about freshwater rods. I'm told the first number is the length in inches, the number after the hyphen is the line weight and the F means it is a two piece rod. Most of the blanks still have the original price tag on them, $20, $22, $25 etc. but that is from 25 or 30 years ago. Does anyone have an idea of what the current value of the blanks might be. I don't have any idea if they are valuable or not. I also got some 5 piece blanks marked Dale Clemens PRB 75. They were marked $40 so I assume that was a pretty high price way back then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Value of Fenwick flyrod blanks
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---)
Date: August 18, 2022 04:08AM

In certain crowds, those Fenwick blanks may be desirable, more so for the shorter 6wts. It will also depend on the overall condition of them. How good of shape are they in? Bag rash present?
To put a price on them, tough to say. There is another forum that caters to Fiberglass and there is a decent bunch of folks on that forum that could help you out.
Fiberglass Fly Rodders.

Finished original Fenwicks, depending on the models, seem to usually sell from $75 to $200, condition also plays in of course. There is a pretty loyal following for Fenwicks on that forum.

Date: August 18, 2022 08:45AM

They are all in pretty nice condition. Some of them are just loose but some are in the original plastic bag. I also got a bunch of flyrod reelseats and other flyrod parts. The reelseats look pretty fancy and look like they are made from some type of exotic hardwood. They were marked $20 and $25. I check over on the other forum and see what they say. Thank you.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 05:06PM

Exotic woods are not going to make them more valuable. If they are NOS, Struble, Bellinger or REC they may be worth a tad more than the price tags on them.
Any markings on the seats as to who made them?

Pictures would help figure out who made them. Most USA companies had reel seats that were unique to the company.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 18, 2022 06:01PM

The blanks may have some value if you can find a Fenwick aficionado. Reel seats will depending upon the brands.

Date: August 18, 2022 07:11PM

I don't see any names on the reelseats. Some are all aluminum, black in color. Some have wood bodies with black or silver hoods. All are new with the price still attached. One is in a small plastic bag that says "RODON". I also got about three or four hundred spools of Gudebrod wrapping thread, all the basic colors plus trimars, varrigated, metallics etc plus a CPW wrapping machine. There is also about 40 or 50 plastic trays with guides, reelseats, tips, ferrules etc that I still have to go through.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s3309.c3-0.atw-cbr4.atw.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 07:43PM

To the right people your Gudebrod thread could be valuable.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 09:21PM

I agree with Jeff, that Gudebrod thread is sought after, especially the folks that do repair/restoration work.

Rondon I believe was owned by Cortland Line Company or had some sort of affiliation with them, up until the early 90’s maybe. They had reel seats, tubes and other rod building stuff. If those reel seats are Rondon, not much value there. Again, someone that does repairs on fly rods that came with one of those seats might want them, small market audience there. A fishing buddy of mine was a Cortland Rep, I remember him mentioning that Rondon was under the umbrella of stuff he rep’d for Cortland when he first started with them.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s3309.c3-0.atw-cbr4.atw.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 09:30PM

I collect Gudebrod jasper thread anytime I come across it. Works well on fiberglass blanks.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 09:46AM

Mike
Unhide your email or shoot me a message. I’d be very in some of the items you have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 01:04PM

The shorter 6 and lighter rods are more in demand then the heavier, seems like the shorter the better. A buddy sold a 7+ ft 4 wt. years ago for a surprising price 10 years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster