I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide size applications
Posted by: Mike Colley (---.fttx.foothillsbroadband.com)
Date: August 13, 2022 07:17PM

Just completed my first build of a Rx 10 7' 2" mh and I caught my first fish on it yesterday although it was a little on the short side,
I am getting ready to build a crank bait rod and my question is, I used a fuji Kw 7 as the first guide and it seems to work ok pitching and making short casts with a 3/8 oz jig and trailer
on a rod you are going to cast like a cranking rod is there a standard size that should be used as a reduction guide.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide size applications
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 14, 2022 07:43AM

Many builders believe that the height of the first guide on a BC rod is more important than the size. I use the high Fuji RV6 on all mine. Many use a double foot size 10 to get the height.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2022 07:46AM by Michael Danek.

Date: August 14, 2022 08:45AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many builders believe that the height of the first
> guide on a BC rod is more important than the size.
> I use the high Fuji RV6 on all mine. Many use a
> double foot size 10 to get the height.

are you wanting the line to go thru the center of the first guide

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 14, 2022 10:23AM

I don't even know. I just place the RV at about 19-20 inches from the reel line guide, place the runners based on a two line stress test, and test cast. If it seems like my other rods, I wrap. If it seems a little short on distance, I adjust the stripper position an inch or so and retest. I don't remember having done that in a long time.

I think the rationale for higher guides is toget the line up and in line with the reel line guide, so I expect it helps to get it more into the center than lower guides would do. Fuji has a nice video on it, but my attempt to put the link here failed. Click this link;
[www.youtube.com]

At about 5 minutes it covers baitcasting guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2022 10:24AM by Michael Danek.

Date: August 14, 2022 07:46PM

Thanks for the link, I thought there might be some standard to go by

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster