I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with steelhead rod build, please.
Posted by: Dee Rama (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2022 12:33AM

Hi all,

I am planning to build steelhead rod. I have few questions I need help with, any input will be appreciated.

1. I am leaning toward northfork ST 904 blank. There are 2 options- HM and IM. what will be the main difference between those besides blank weight and price? Is this one of those -"u get what you pay" or else?
2. How do I find spine on 2 piece blank?
3. I am thinking stradic 4500 reel. is it to big for this blank?
4. Is fuji VSS 17 reel seat good size seat for 4500 size reel?
5. I would like to use Fuji K series guides. Should I use NF spacing guide or KR placement software? Help with guide placement, please.

Thank you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with steelhead rod build, please.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 02:40AM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 03:01AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: August 11, 2022 03:00AM

I wouldn't use that large a reel, 2500/3000 size, 4000 max if using 12 lb mono, this blank's forte is drift fishing bait, if you are looking for a more versatile rig there are better choices, especially on our larger rivers. Do you have winter and summer runs, and are 20 lb+ fish possible? Your component choice is fine, Fuji KR concept should be fine. HM will be fine, if you are rough on gear and need guide boat like durability, go IM, especially if you use braid.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 11, 2022 09:01AM

2. Depends what camp you are in.
- Using spine finder/applying pressure and rolling; Do each piece individually and line up the "spines."

-Straightest axis; Find the straightest axis of each piece. Mark them and align them.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2022 10:58AM

"Steelhead fishing" could be drift fishing, or trolling, or live bait fishing, or bottom fishing, or casting. It might be wiser to build the rod to fit the fishing method rather than the target species.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 11:44AM

1. Both blanks are very good, your choice.

2. Go with the straightest axis, with the tip up. You don’t what your rod tip pointing to the left or right. With the tip pointing up you will slightly increase dead lift power.

3. I also believe a 4500 reel is too large and heavy. I’m with Spencer on reel size.

4. A VSS17 reel seat will work fine. I like them a lot, especially with a hidden thread hood. Very comfortable. You can fit it with, cork, EVA, or carbon fiber grips. I really like the carbon fiber grips, they are almost bullet proof.

5. If you want to use KR guides, then use the KR GPS. I have found the KR concept to be exceptionally good, the best I’ve ever used.

Norm

Date: August 11, 2022 12:03PM

Norm,

How many running guides should I use and what size? I am thinking 7 size 4.5 or bump it up a bit?

Thanks.

Date: August 11, 2022 01:15PM

The way steelhead gear is used, there are few reasons to worry about running guide size unless you fish in deep, hard freeze conditions which happen almost never in the WA & OR rivers I fish. What advantage can you see? A 10 ft. steelhead rod I built a few years ago had exactly 1/2 the guide weight with a Microwave guide set over a standard guide setup. You can feel the difference easily. There is little difference between KR concept and Microwave concept except the stripper guide. If we knew your location and line used it would help give more definitive answers.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 01:21PM

Spencer,

Lake Michigan and surrounding rivers fishing. 10 lb Braid
Thanks.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 01:21PM

Spencer,

Lake Michigan and surrounding rivers fishing. 10 lb Braid
Thanks.

Date: August 11, 2022 01:42PM

I'd use New Guide Concept instead of KR Concept, 20 mm stripper, 7mm runners. The year I lived in Cheboygan, MI., in the 80's, I had snow before Thanksgiving and it stayed till March, I was able to use my G Loomis STR 1024S, 30 mm V frame stripper to 7mm runners with few ill effects. (Pretty standard layout back then, usually 8 lb. mono) My STR1141S was more of a handful keeping guides clear with 4 mm runners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 01:47PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: August 11, 2022 01:56PM

Dee, I’ve built 9’ steelhead spinning rods with either 10 or 11 guides (7 or 8 runners). It depends on the action of the blank. On a slower action blank I use 11 guides to help spread out the load along the length of the rod, on a faster action blank 10 guides. The IM ST904-2 has a published IP of about 340 gm (ERN = 13.5) and an AA of about 68, making more of a moderate fast action. On that rod I think you can use either 10 or 11guides, won’t make a big difference. I would use a KL20H based reduction train, with either size 4.5 or 5 KB/KT runners. I normally use 2 KBs after the reduction train, with the remaining runners being KTs. If you need help with a tentative guide layout, contact me.
Norm

Date: August 11, 2022 02:37PM

Norm,

I could use tentative guide layout.

Thanks a lot.

Date: August 11, 2022 02:43PM

Email me.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2022 02:45PM

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a "steelhead rod"? Can they be measured? I might like to build one, but not one of those snatch-hook rods they use for Great-Lakes steelhead - I'll continue to use my wife's clothes-poles for them.

Date: August 11, 2022 07:14PM

When I was back there in the 80's a 10 ft 7 wt. Sage fly blank, built spinning by Thorne Bros. was a pretty popular setup. After many tried my Loomis STR1141S IM6, many had rods built on that blank, was considerably cheaper and worked well. Drift fishing bait, and running plugs was not well received back then, spinners and small baits and egg sacks under floats was the thing, many streams were pretty slow running. Rods like the Loomis HSR 9000S in length and power were popular on the smaller streams fishing spinners for steelhead and large browns.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.evrt.wa.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: August 12, 2022 12:02AM

Hey Norm, where are you getting all your NFC CCS data, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2022 05:09PM

Jordan - A number of years ago NFC published CCS data on their blanks. A member here, Gib Portwood, archived some of this CCS data in an Ecel data base, it includes data from some other manufacturers such a PacBay, and Point Blank. The front page contains an ERN calculator, but you have to get into the edit mode to use it. I’ve posted this information on several occasions, so here it is again.
[onedrive.live.com]
Norm

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.evrt.wa.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: August 12, 2022 08:30PM

Thank you sir! This is great information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 08:32PM by Jordan Smith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster