I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji guide weight ?
Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: August 09, 2022 05:56PM

Hi,
I \was wondering if anybody had weighed KLH 16H, KLH 8H, and KLH 5.5M with fazlite rings?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji guide weight ?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 09, 2022 07:43PM

The same set in Alconite is 5 grams. if that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 02:57PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2022 12:55AM

KLH 16H, KLH 8H,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2022 01:01AM by Dee Rama.

Date: August 22, 2022 01:16PM

I ended up ordering these Fazlite guides and thought I would share the weight. I used a RCBS 5-10 scales. KLH 5.5M: .5 grains, KLH 8H: 10.29 grains, KLH 16: 30.81 grains. Converting to grams I get 2.69, or about half of the weight of the Alconite set that Lynn mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 05:38PM by Gary Weber.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 26, 2022 11:38AM

Gary, Are you sure that is not 5 grains? I can't imagine a 20-fold reduction in the same guide frame design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2022 02:28PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (216.26.121.---)
Date: October 26, 2022 12:14PM

Thanks - I was looking for individual guide weights if possible so I can compare styles.

Date: October 26, 2022 09:30PM

Spencer, I am not able to re-weigh because i have used them on a build. At the time, I weighed the guides a couple of times, I did not want to get it wrong, but may have. I did not check the scales against calibration weights, so I can not say how accurate they were. They always did the job weighing gun powder.
The fazlite rings are fairly recent. the density of the rings, and also the frame weight may be different than the alconite KLH. The best comparison of fazlite and alconite guides would be using the same scales. If someone has the reduction train in both alconite and fazlite and weighed them on the same scales I would appreciate the info.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 27, 2022 12:00AM

I'm just saying you may have put a period in front of the five-grain measurement when you may not have meant to.

Date: October 27, 2022 07:14AM

Spencer, that is possible.
Have a good. Day.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 27, 2022 07:44AM

For what it's worth, it is my opinion that one cannot feel the difference in weight or rod balance between these reduction guides. Or between titanium and SS reduction guides of this size.

And I have data that shows on blanks of fast and extra fast action (75-80 AA) that the reduction train weight difference between 16-8-5.5's in titanium and SS does not affect the recovery speed of the rod based on TNF. The difference in weight between SS and titanium runners does affect the TNF numbers. It is significant enough to measure. Whether it is significant enough to feel/sensitivity is debatable.

Date: October 27, 2022 03:03PM

Thanks for the replies.

Posted by: David Olsen (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2024 02:05PM

I figured I would bump this thread to provide clarity on the weight as it came up in top search results for this ring comparison. From Rodhouse.fr:

Alconite BC Dark Grey
20H: 4.13g
16H: 2.45g
10H: 1.4g

Fazlite BC Dark Grey
20H: 4.08g
16H: 2.5g
10H: 1.43g

Seems to be negligible weight difference.

Date: February 23, 2024 03:25PM

Hi David,
Thank you for sharing this information.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 03:12AM

Why not just go with Torzite? They are the lightest and most durable not to mention are easiest on the line. I have a casting rod with Torzites and monofilament that has been on there for a year now. Line still almost looks new due to the smoothness of the Torzite ring.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 24, 2024 01:59PM

Fuji KL-H 20, Fazlite ring, $4.19

Fuji KL-H 20, Alconite ring, $5.45

Fuji KL-H 20. Torzite ring, $43.45

You can get a complete KR spinning rod guide train, 10 guides + tip top, with either Fazlite or Alconite rings for basically 3/4 of the price of a KL-H 20 guide with a Torzite ring. Granted that same entire guide train with Torzite rings is going to weigh about the same as a KL-H 20 guide weighs on its' own. but it's a crazy cost difference.

And what if the rod being built is a pan fish rod? $168 set of guides on a pan fish rod? Doubtful.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 25, 2024 09:28AM

Not on the topic of the original post, but some information regarding the weights of casting guides with Torzite rings versus the same size guides with SIC rings.

Frames for each ring type are titanium. The guides with the SIC rings are the black titanium finish T2s

KW 10 w / Torzite ring .647 grams price $20.39

KW 10 x / SIC ring . 690 grams price $16.29

KW 5.5 w / Torzite ring .125 grams price $11.09

KW 5.5 w / SIC ring .126 grams price $9.99

Also, not an apples to apples comparison because they are different size guides, but just as a weight comparison kind of thing, I weighed some running guides and tip tops in the same frame and ring material configurations .

A KB 4.5 w / Torizite ring weighs .087 grams. A KB 5 w / SIC ring weighs .095 grams. A KT 4.5 w / Torzite ring weighs .060 grams. A KT 5 w / SIC ring weighs .085 grams.

The weights for the KBs are the average weight taken from 3 guides being weighed at the same time. The weights for the KTs are the average weight taken from 7 guides being weighed at the same time.

Tip tops are both KGs. A size 4.5 ring, with a 4.5 tube and Torzite ring weighs .174 grams. A size 5 ring with a 4.5 tube and SIC ring weighs .187 grams

Both sets use the same KW 10 and KW 5.5 reduction train, 3 KBs, and 7 KTs in either 4.5s for the Torzite set. or 5s for the SIC set. Tip tops are as listed above. Total weights for the sets as listed. Torzite ringed set, 1.640 grams. SIC ringed set, 1.937 grams. Cost difference between the two sets. $141.35 for the set with Torzite rings. $115.47 for the set with SIC rings.

I didn't expect there to be much difference in the weights of the guides simply because the material the rings are made of. And honestly, the only reason I went with a set of Torzite guides at all, is because of the build they'll be going on. I'm building two rods on MB 725 C6O2 blanks, with one of them using an XO Skeleton casting reel seat / grip, so I wanted to use the "best" guides I could possibly use on that particular rod. Torzite rings are said to be tougher than SIC rings, but I haven't had any problems as of yet, with the guides that I have on rods with SIC rings. And as a freshwater bass fisherman, I don't think the smoothness of one ring material versus another, is really a factor to consider. I'm just using them so I can say the rod has Torzite guides on it. Nothing more.

I know one thing though. This will be the only set of guides with Torzite rings that I'll be putting on a rod I build for my own personal use. There is no way I will be able to feel any difference between the rod I'm using the Torzite rings on. versus the one I'm using the SIC rings on. I just don't see the return on investment being there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster