I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank cut
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 06:20PM

I plan to cut 3" from an MHX SJ 842. Would you expect the resulting blank to be stiffer, less stiff, or little change. I know what I think about it, but would like other's opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank cut
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 08, 2022 06:27PM

From the tip...stiffer.
From the butt...I would say little change.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2022 06:40PM

The will become slower cutting from either end. A bit higher lure weight ability if cut from the tip, overall power the same. If cut from the butt you will have less power but a similar casting weight range.

What is your priority here? "Stiffer" may not the right term. You can't make it stiffer unless you add something to it. Are you trying to up the casting weight range? Take a little flex out of the tip? What is your goal?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2022 08:19PM

Lynn

If you were to go out for a beer and I sneaked in your shop and cut 3 in from the butt, you would never know it. Unless you measured the length.

John

Date: August 08, 2022 08:40PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lynn
>
> If you were to go out for a beer and I sneaked in
> your shop and cut 3 in from the butt, you would
> never know it. Unless you measured the length.
>
> John

In which case - why cut it? Maybe if we knew what it is that you are trying to accomplish we could give you a better answer.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 09, 2022 08:02AM

Which end of the blank will you cut off, and what benefit do you anticipate? I might follow suit if the change(s) suit my needs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 09, 2022 10:17AM

Over the years, I don't believe that I have ever trimmed a blank from the tip. The vast majority of the rods that I build - require the sensitivity that a "fine" tipped rod bring to the table.

For these sort of blanks, once 1 inch is removed from the tip of the rod, the rod may as well be used to mix paint. The trimming from the tip -simply ruins the blank for the application for which I build rods.

In contrast - I have trimmed length from the blank - but trimming from the butt of the rod for many different reasons and the builds have worked out very well.

But, different folks, different strokes - so to speak.

Take care

Date: August 09, 2022 02:50PM

Fatal error on my part, I meant to say I'd be cutting only from the butt. The only reason for cutting is to shorten it. I don't want the blank to feel stiffer.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 09, 2022 03:03PM

Lynn - Didn’t have an MHX SJ842 but did have an MHX MB842 to simulate what cutting 3” from the butt does to the CCS values. The MB842 has an IP = 560 gm, AA = 72, the simulated MB812 has an IP = 524 gm, AA = 70. So cutting 3” off the butt decreases both IP and AA. In my experience SJs tend to be a little more powerful and faster than MBs having the same power number. So cutting 3” off the butt of your SJ 842 you will end up with a blank that is more powerful and faster than the cut down MB.842.
Norm

Date: August 09, 2022 03:14PM

Thanks Norm, so using the MB will result in a less stiff, (more easily deflected) rod. Correct? Thanks very much for your efforts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2022 03:16PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: August 09, 2022 05:34PM

In that case, cutting from the butt won't result in a stiffer "feel" nor make it stiffer. The slight loss in power won't likely be noticed by much. Action will be just a tad slower. If you just want to make the blank shorter, that's the way to go.

Date: August 09, 2022 07:22PM

Tom, these are the results I was looking for. The first person I asked on this topic said "it's gonna be stiffer after you cut it" I couldn't see it! Thx

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2022 10:19PM

After cutting off some of the stiffest part of the rod, how could the rod become stiffer?

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: August 09, 2022 11:41PM

So....Mr. Kirkman......If I had a 7'6 Heavy /Fast Blank....take 3 or 4 inches off of the butt......I could possibly end up with a Heavy/Medium or Heavy/Med. Heavy Fast blank????

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: August 09, 2022 11:47PM

I meant Heavy/Mod. Fast Blank

Date: August 10, 2022 06:56AM

Rick Shaffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So....Mr. Kirkman......If I had a 7'6 Heavy /Fast
> Blank....take 3 or 4 inches off of the butt......I
> could possibly end up with a Heavy/Medium or
> Heavy/Med. Heavy Fast blank????

I don't know what a Medium/Heavy, Heavy/Medium, etc., etc., blank is. Can you put a number on it?

If you cut from either end, the action will become slower. Cutting from the butt will reduce power. Cutting from the tip will increase casting lure weight range (but will not increase deadlift capability).

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 10, 2022 10:08AM

Cutting off 3 inches from the butt moves the grip point closer to the tip changing the fulcrum point. Yes, any alteration to a blank changes its characteristics, the extent of this change is a point of debate that usually ends in resentment or bruised egos

I usually grip my rod between the pinky and ring finger but there are times I grip the rod between my fore and middle finger. When I cast some times I use two hands most times one hand and rarely is my hand at the same place.The point is that I constantly shift the grip or fulcrum point when casting and fishing. I can truthfully say that I have never experienced any dramatic or noticeable change in the performance of my rod at any time.

These changes in performance exist and are real but thankfully I am not sensitive to it.

Lynn, if you can enjoy a hamburger cooked rare, medium or well done then cut off the 3 inches and enjoy your new rod.

Have fun

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 07:52PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: August 10, 2022 05:52PM

In all honestly, i cut blanks from the butt all the time.. i prefer a shorter rod

To me it seems to improve overall sensitivity.. and im talking about no more then 1 foot.. my assumption is since your shortening the rod, your removing weight, thus increasing sensitivity. i say no more then a foot becouse the way ive noticed most rods construction to be is theres more material wrapped at the butt, once you exceed a foot or so you start getting into where the rod starts truly tapering to give you what is concidered the backbone and flex. The more matrial the stronger the blank. Handles create hard points, plain and simple. Taking 3-6 inchs off a blanks bottom end isnt going to do much of anything other then change your fulcrum, as john stated. Now changing the fulcrum will change the rods oscillation frequency.. and without getting into all that hub-bub, it basically makes it snap back to straight faster. Oscillations and actions are very diffrent things. So taking alot off a rods butt end would feel like its faster.. but in reality it doesnt effect your action.. yes tom is correct to a point... you do loose lifting power, but its minimal.. ive made rods out of the top 1/2 of a 2 piece.. the action and power at the furule doesnt change just becouse you placed a handle there.. it stays the same.. but yes, doing that greatly reduces your lifting power.. granted doing the above is the same as removing like 3' off. Thats a really fun rod by the way..

Tell you what lynn, come over.. we will cut the one MHX blank i have down, its a 7' 1 piece.. and do a test on it.. see for yourself.. the only thing on that rod is half a tiger wrap. Grip, and a tip top.. if you say you want to ill strip it tonight, handles to far forward anyway for my liking.. customer backed out on the build and that was his preference

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: August 10, 2022 06:05PM

Ok wait a minute.. when tom said it makes the blank slower i misinterpreted what he ment.. yes it will make a rod slower in action.. picture the rod as being deflected.. cut the image in half and blow it up to be the same size as the original rod.. the 2nd rod that was cut in half will have the same exact action, but since your nkw looking at the entire section as a full size rod it will be slower since the bend will effectivly be closer to the rods butt section. Sorry for the confusion

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2022 07:17PM

I also cut the butt of a particular blank that I build on. They are 7' and I cut them down to 6'9". It does not make the blank stiffer and does slightly slow it down. The blanks are medium light, extra fast or fast before cutting. It is a great enhancement for that type of rod. They are made to cast 1/16oz to 3/4oz lurers. 3/4oz is the upper most maximum weight.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster