I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Test cast mishap
Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---)
Date: August 08, 2022 09:42AM

So just went to field to test cast and I guess my stripper guide tape wasn’t strong enough. First cast it came loose and took the reduction train out. Big crack in the torzite of stripper but the rest seem ok though alittle scratched up. How worried should I be with them. Q tip test seems ok.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test cast mishap
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 08, 2022 10:07AM

Maybe use heat-shrink tubing next time?

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 11:00AM

Brett DeNicola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
" So just went to field to test cast and I guess my stripper guide tape wasn’t strong enough. First cast it came loose and took the reduction train out"

Were there witnesses to this mishap ? If there was I hope you made it clear to them that you meant for that to happen and it was planned . Make sure they understand that the results were exactly what you had hoped for and it was an all around success .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 11:22AM

Spin? Use the Fuji KLH/KB/KT guide train utilizing the software at anglersresource.net to locate the reduction guides and the two line stress test to locate the running guides and soon you won't bother test casting any more.

Exc for the cracked ring, the guides should be OK.

Date: August 08, 2022 12:01PM

I did use kr gps and two line static. Wishing I didn’t test cast now out a $40 guide

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: August 08, 2022 12:09PM

I use a bobbin and fly tying thread to temporarily attach my guides. Goes pretty fast and they don't move around easily - but are easily removed later. I wonder how the stripper guide cracked? Did it slam into the next guide frame just right?
I feel your pain.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 01:21PM

What happened to crack the Torzite ring? I would think that it would take more than that to crack one. Could it of been cracked prior to testing?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 01:46PM

Check with Jim Ising at Anglers Resource. He may be willing to replace it.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 08, 2022 02:45PM

You must have had minimal tape wraps, a caught a 6 lb. steelhead on a Loomis 1141, 4-8 lb line spinning rod, when I was to lazy to find my casting test weight and used a #3 Blur Fox. I had about 4 full wraps on each guide. Sounds like you may have tried to cast a tangled fly line maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 02:48PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: August 08, 2022 03:18PM

Leslie Cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a bobbin and fly tying thread to temporarily
> attach my guides. Goes pretty fast and they don't
> move around easily - but are easily removed later.
> I wonder how the stripper guide cracked? Did it
> slam into the next guide frame just right?
> I feel your pain.

Yea it came loose and took whole reduction train up to the choke.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 04:54PM

Orthodontic ligatures.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 09, 2022 12:00AM

Brett,
One piece of advice.

1. Don't test cast and if you don't test cast you will never have rod damage from test casting.

2. If you do test cast, just wrap the rod with generic simple black thread with all of the guides in their expected locations. Wrap the guides tight but don't apply any cp or thread finish to the wraps. If you do this it is extremely unlikely that you will ever have a guide issues during any test casting.

Best wishes

p.s.

For myself, I almost never test cast any rod that I have or will build.

However, after laying out the guide train and have each guide secured with 1/8th or 1/4 inch wide masking tape, I string a line from the reel through the guides out through the tip top of the rod. Then, either using a wall, the ceiling or the floor progressively flex the rod to simulate a fully loaded rod blank. When doing this, I carefully examine the flow of the line to be sure that the line is following the contour of the physically loaded rod blank. If I find an issue, I move the guides and test again. I have to say that I have never had issues with casting with the rod after using this technique to establish the guide size and location.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster