I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Spider Silk from spiders Ingesting Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes.
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 06, 2022 08:41PM

I can see this as becoming the newest super-fiber for fishing rods. Here's a link that hints at what could be: [www.nbcnews.com]. It's interesting stuff to me; but then, I'm a geek/gourmet cook/engineer, sportsman, and anything else you can imagine. Everything interests me. But just think of it. If the super silk can be mass produced, it could be the next level of strength in fishing rods, personal armor, light weight, super strong waders, etc. Just think of the possibilities for fly tying thread, leaders, and tippets, super thin backing, guide winding threads, etc. Exciting stuff.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2022 08:44PM by Robert Flowers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Spider Silk from spiders Ingesting Graphene and Carbon Nanotubes.
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 06, 2022 10:19PM

"SPOTLIGHT ON MATERIALS | THE LOWDOWN ON GRAPHENE"

[ctsfishing.com]

Date: August 07, 2022 12:04AM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "SPOTLIGHT ON MATERIALS | THE LOWDOWN ON
> GRAPHENE"
>
> [ctsfishing.com]-
> lowdown-on-graphene/

This spider silk is stronger tha Kevlar, the strongest man made fiber. It has yet to be mass produced, and is the strongest known fiber. Yes, graphene has been shown to really not make stronger blanks, as stated by XTS. However, the potential for this silk mush stronger, and tougher than anything previous will ba a game changer. I'd be willing to bet that Gary Loomis is keeping an eye on its development; but that's pure speculation.

RJF

Date: August 07, 2022 12:34AM

Trust me when I tell you , NFC along with every other top blank manufacturer in the world is well aware of everything and anything that has the potential of being used in blank manufacturer , they know about it way before people in the news report on it.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 07, 2022 07:45AM

Interesting read about graphene. Really love the way CTS exposed potential problems with adding it to rod blanks.

Honestly, reading it has peaked my interest in building on a CTS blank. That now makes two blanks I'd like to build on before I no longer need to build rods. I already have too many as it is. LOL

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 07, 2022 11:50AM

The sensitivity [lack of stretch, rigidity?] of line materials has been improved, but the sensitivity of the human hand remains the same. A certain amount of flexibility (which creates slack) is mandatory in a fishline, agreed? I suspect that current developments in fish lines have provided as much sensitivity as is possible, and the rod can not provide any more sensitivity than the line can.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2022 12:21PM

Correct Phil, line sensitivity beats out rod sensitivity every time..no contest.Especially with braid..I fish with glass rods and power pro line and have more sensitivity than when I used graphite rods with mono..

Date: August 07, 2022 09:18PM

Ok everyone, I get it. However, I'm not suggesting graphene be used directly in rod blank construction, or even to make fishing line. But just think of a lighter, thinner, stronger backing for your fly reel, that surpasses gel spun backing in strength and toughness, or a fishing line that is thinner, lighter, and tougher than anything available on the market right now, all made by the graphene ingesting spiders, and producing super strong spider silk. I still believe it would be a game changer, even using the silk to make tougher rod blanks. Graphene alone doesn't seem to do the job. But graphene enhanced spider silk...

RJF

Date: August 07, 2022 10:20PM

I don't understand why you think that manufacturers in these industries aren't already on top of it , they're constantly testing and researching new materials and if a new material turns out to be a game changer you can bet it will eventually hit the market . There are also a ton of new materials that have already been thoroughly tested and researched that manufacturers deem unsuitable for a wide variety of reasons that nobody hears about because it gets scrapped.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2022 06:44AM

"We concluded that adding a bit of graphene to our resins might be good for the marketing department and our ability to sell a higher priced product, but marginally detrimental to performance." Don't do it, CTS. We'll get Phil after you.

Now I don't have to worry about how to feed grapene to my spiders. They seem to prefer insects.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster