I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Crankbait rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 08, 2022 06:50PM

Phil, read these and you should understand the common sense system for comparing rod.
[www.common-cents.info]
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 10, 2022 08:47AM

I still have reservations about the utility of static measurements of dynamic systems - like fish poles/lines/reels. I prefer the "Handsome is as handsome does" evaluation - even for fishing tackle. I have no quarrel with those who prefer static testing of a dynamic system - like pole/reel/line.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 10, 2022 10:05AM

Static testing of a dynamic system in this case allows you to predict dynamic behavior. It also allows consistent communication of characteristics, unlike "Handsome is as handsome does." I can give you advice based on that ONLY if you know that you and I define "handsome" the same way.

Your stubborn refusal to face the facts and utilize available tools is not helping in your quest for something better than advertising slogans. Although I have to admit that "Handsome is as handsome does" would make a good line for a fly rod advertisement. Certainly would communicate exactly how that rod would perform. Dynamically. (sarcasm alert!)

Date: August 10, 2022 12:00PM

Humor me. Direct me to the site which matches different CCS to species of fish I wish to catch - if such a site exists? Better yet, direct me to an ERN site which will improve my casting accuracy, or casting distance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 12:28PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: August 10, 2022 03:28PM

Phil, it just occurred to me that while you complain about not having numbers, when there are numbers available, you prefer advertising claims, like "Handsome is as handsome does."

I am humoring you, but you don't get it. I suggest if you want to improve your casting distance and accuracy you buy a soulful rod, one that can push the line well. One that when you try it, you'll exclaim "Handsome is as handsome does!"

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 10, 2022 03:34PM

You aren't picking up what we are throwing down. Even if you limit your species to bass alone, the amount of techniques are ever growing. Technique specific rods are definitely a thing regardless of what you believe. I cannot pitch a 1/2 flipping jig with a zoom super chunk on a 5' blank with an IP of 600gm successfully. So when I find a rod that works perfect for my application then I can try new blanks that measure similarly to really find the "Magic Wand" if you will.

You have to find what works best for you and your application. You can do that comparatively utilizing CCS as a starting point. You just have to try. It is easy to complain about the unknown. Complaining is like a rocking chair, something to do but won't get you anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 03:35PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 10, 2022 04:00PM

Aaron, I wouldn't pitch a jig and chunk on the rod you described either. But my reason is because of the length of rear grip I would want the rod to have in order to get a good hook set with that bait. Now if you were talking pitching a 1/2 oz spinnerbait, it would be a completely different story.

My favorite spinnerbait rod is an old 5 1/2' medium heavy power Shimano Speed Master fighting rod with a pistol grip. Super accurate pitching around heavy wood and weed cover. Wish I had a nickle for every fish I have caught using that rod in such a way. I'd be able to pay full price for an X ray blank LOL

Date: August 10, 2022 04:19PM

David, I can talk spinnerbait rods all day. I have found that spinnerbait favorites range from pistol grip light IM6 rods all the way to Flippin sticks. A lot of people also don't realize how diversely a spinnerbait can be fished either. A bait of many techniques.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 10, 2022 04:30PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does a thrifty rod-builder go about
> determining the ERN and the AA of a blank with no
> markings - without having to buy te$t equipment?

You make one. Find a big empty section of wall and mark it off.

Date: August 10, 2022 04:40PM

I used to think fly casters such as myself were the most dreamy-eyed, nit-picking, fuss-budgets in the sport-fishing population, but I think the crown has been passed to spin casters. They have species-specific rods: bass rods, pike rods, carp rods, bluegill rods; terminal-tackle specific rods: worm rods, spoon rods, popping rods, jigging rods, trolling rods, drop shot rods, snatch hook rods - and the list of specifically-designated purpose spin rods continues to swell!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 10, 2022 06:46PM

Phil, That’s a great thing! Many more rods to choose from, rather than a one size fits all rod. How boring would that be? Competition, innovation, and variety are great! They add spice to life. I certainly love the wide selection of modern rod blanks, components, reels, lines, and lures that are currently available to us. Almost all of us who build rods are very passionate and competent fishermen. We enjoy using a wide variety of lures, baits and techniques to catch many different species of fish. We also know what we like. I use spinning, casting, jigging, and fly rods and enjoy all of them. High quality well built rods and reels are a joy to fish, and, in my opinion, enhance the overall fishing experience. I have been a fishing junkie for as long as I can remember. It’s a great hobby! Fishing tackle has vastly improved over my life time. Thank God for competition!
Norm

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 03:15AM

if they are not for specific species or different size fish, why are there different numbers of fly rods. Why not build a 3 weight and use it for crappie this week and tuna next week?

Date: August 12, 2022 10:52AM

"Three weight" is a concrete range of line weight best suited for a specific blank- a physical measurement. A "bass rod" is a vague expression of hope - you hope this rod will catch more bass than other rods would. Equating a type of rod with catching a specific fish [bass] sounds like advertising mumbo-jumbo . I am not even sure what physical characteristics define a "bass rod" or if a "bass rod" is used for bait fishing, plug casting, trolling, phony worms, flies, or snatch hooks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 12:28PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Date: August 12, 2022 05:04PM

"Bass rods" are merely a concentration of rods that are built for the techniques related to bass fishing. (I.E. Salmon rods can be trolling, slow jig, vert jig,...) The techniques and properties of rods used to perform the tasks that work best for anglers targeting the family of species can definitely catch other things. @#$%& I caught an old tin can with a deep diving crank this week. I don't call it a can rod. It is still my deep cranking rod. A "bass rod" is not a one size fits all. Just an assortment of the type of rods with the properties I need to target them with. But you know this already. I could write a book about the general and specific characteristics of rods and their proven success for technique specific angling. And I am quite young. In life and in this field.

Date: August 15, 2022 08:24AM

I got so wound up in abbreviations and books and static testing methods of rod blanks that I forgot! I can build the blank into a rod and then cast it! That will reveal what fish species and/or fishing technique this rod will be best suited for!

Date: August 15, 2022 01:49PM

And with experience and knowing where to start (blank and material choice) you don't need to test cast to identify it's best uses. You already know.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 15, 2022 06:08PM

I’ve been out of bass fishing for a while so I’m gonna throw out my two cents with the understanding that I may be completely wrong on this. When throwing crank baits or any treble hooked bait, don’t you want a rod that’s a little bit more moderate in action? I think many people favored rods with some glass or glass composite, rather than straight graphite for this reason. If that’s the case then Eternity blanks, while they might be incredibly sensitive, may not give you the desired action to work a square bull. Again my two cents.

Date: August 16, 2022 08:07AM

Dennis, in my opinion it has a lot to do with length, too. When you think about it a 7 1/2 foot Xfast action rod is basically a 6 foot moderate action rod tied to a stiff stick. Meaning that a longer Xfast action will keep fish pinned probably about the same as a shorter moderate action rod will. How all this works out in detail is not perfectly clear, but I use a Point Blank 7 foot 3 Xfast action rod on cranks all the time and I don't think it shows any problems. One thing about faster actions is that they cast a wider range of lure weights well than moderate action rods do, the tip flexing "out of the way" with heavier lures, relying on the butt more, and with lighter lures the flexible tip loading well.

I think your concern is valid with shorter Xfast action rods.

I personally don't think the material has anything to do with it; it's all about length, power , and action. I don't see the faster response/recovery times of graphite being a problem.

Date: August 16, 2022 08:22AM

Where can I find a source which lists the physical characteristics of species-specific rods, like a largemouth bass rod, a smallmouth bass rod, a brown trout rod, a striped bass rod, a dorado rod, etc.? No answer will be a sufficient answer.

Date: August 16, 2022 12:15PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can I find a source which lists the physical
> characteristics of species-specific rods, like a
> largemouth bass rod, a smallmouth bass rod, a
> brown trout rod, a striped bass rod, a dorado rod,
> etc.? No answer will be a sufficient answer.

Easy. You contact any one of the experienced members here who specialize in rod building. You tell them what species, HOW, and where you are fishing. You then give them other specifications for your ergo and preference. The professional will then make a recommendation based on the inputs you provide. You will then have a tailored rod specific for your technique with which you plan to target a certain species with.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster