I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long Distance Surf Rod Build
Posted by: Carl Hodges (---)
Date: August 04, 2022 02:19PM

I am building a long distance casting surf spinning rod.

I have just purchased a 100% graphite, 2 piece, 12' blank. I intend building it with the yesteryear large SS guides similar to Mildrum guides from years gone by. The blank will have four guides, 70mm, 60mm, 50mm and 40mm.

Can anyone tell me the spacing dimensions for the guides from the butt or reel seat?

Also, any suggestion on the tip guide size to go along with this build?

All and any comments will be appreciated. Thank You....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long Distance Surf Rod Build
Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2022 10:11AM

.Carl, isn,t that too many guides?..Just joking..lol.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2022 11:49AM

If you use those large, heavy guides, you're not building it for long distance casting.

What size reel and line type and size do you plan to use?

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2022 01:07PM

Carl,

I would start here and then adjust:

[northforkcomposites.com]

Type in "SU" into the search field for Surf.

The handle length will determine your overall guide spacing...and to echo Tom, you may want to re-think the guide sizes if you are making a distance blank.

Best,
Aleks

Carl Hodges Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am building a long distance casting surf
> spinning rod.
>
> I have just purchased a 100% graphite, 2 piece,
> 12' blank. I intend building it with the
> yesteryear large SS guides similar to Mildrum
> guides from years gone by. The blank will have
> four guides, 70mm, 60mm, 50mm and 40mm.
>
> Can anyone tell me the spacing dimensions for the
> guides from the butt or reel seat?
>
> Also, any suggestion on the tip guide size to go
> along with this build?
>
> All and any comments will be appreciated. Thank
> You....

Date: August 05, 2022 08:32PM

These large guide rods were popular in the 70"s from Long Island to Martha's Vineyard. A favorite was a 12' yellow Lamiglas. The concept I believe was less guides, less line contact and resistance and larger guides, less resistance when line is released. Casting distance changes with the number, size, height, position and weight of guides. At the fishing store, I had a chat with a gentleman who had a yesteryear rod that was a four large guide set up like I am speaking about. I stopped to see it and it is a 12' "Powell" rod. I was able to get the guide distances from his rod. Thanks for those who commented.....

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 05, 2022 08:36PM

Is that rod just for casting competition?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2022 09:38PM

A lot has been learned about guide systems and casting distance since the 1970's. Quick line control via higher and smaller ringed guides is proven to increase distance. Not to mention the lighter weight of such systems which relieves the rod of weight so that more of the caster's input will translate into the cast and less into starting and stopping the rod motion.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.evrt.wa.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: August 05, 2022 11:10PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone use spiral wraps used for long distance surf casting?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 06, 2022 02:30PM

Will you be casting chunk bait, live bait, plugs, jigs . . . or what?

Date: August 06, 2022 05:28PM

Yes, I do remember this set up being used for competition many years ago, however, I use the setup for surf casting, plugs, bait and jigs and have found them to be superior for surf casting spinning rods. These wire guide set ups can be purchased at the rodroom.com. My go to long distance conventional set up is an Akios 666 shuttle on another 100% 12' graphite.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2022 06:00PM

Carl,
Have you ever built a rod before? I am not picking on you but there is a lot of experience here that can put you on the right path to making a distance cast spinning rod. If you are just building a reproduction of an antique surf rod or something that will not perform to its best with the correct components then I would say try to get the largest tip top you can find that will fit the tip of the blank you have. What size is the tip of the blank and I will find one for you.
Best Regards,
Lance

Date: August 06, 2022 07:52PM

Yes, I have built (9) rods to date. I have recently found the rod tip needed for the build from a fellow that builds locally. I am ending any further comments/replies to this post.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 06, 2022 10:27PM

Moral of the story , make absolutely certain the rod builder you choose is up to date on the latest advancements , methods and tech or you could end up with a rod that performs like a rod from the 1970's .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2022 12:02AM

I am sorry if I may have offended you Carl, that was not my intent. I was only trying to figure out your level of experience and I was not thinking of what it sounded like. Please feel free to ask for any advice or help and I promise you I will try not to sound like an idiot.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: August 07, 2022 12:37AM

"Please feel free to ask for any advice or help and I promise you I will try not to sound like an idiot"

Carl did ask specific questions and advice Lance . You can see them below .

I have just purchased a 100% graphite, 2 piece, 12' blank. I intend building it with the yesteryear large SS guides similar to Mildrum guides from years gone by. The blank will have four guides, 70mm, 60mm, 50mm and 40mm.

Can anyone tell me the spacing dimensions for the guides from the butt or reel seat?

Also, any suggestion on the tip guide size to go along with this build?

Date: August 07, 2022 12:02PM

I suggest workouts in the gym. The bait/weight you cast can go no faster you can pull it with your rod, and rod speed = distance cast. Fish poles do not generate energy. If they did they would run turbines and power your car. The physical laws governing the distance covered by thrown, shot, or casted objects were formulated more than two thousand years ago and they still hold true.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2022 12:08PM

they were true before the laws were formulated..lol.

Date: August 09, 2022 08:28AM

The anti-science mob, led by advertisers, stubbornly proclaims that buying stuff, particularly expensive stuff, will make you a better caster and a better angler. Some anglers Buy into this silly theory.

Posted by: Gary Michael (38.83.150.---)
Date: September 04, 2022 07:11PM

I build alot of surf rods each year. I used the larger gathering guides as that was all I had ever been taught. The guys from Fuji at the ICRBE finally got me to tape on "New Concept" guides and spacing. Who said you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks. Tape on some guides, head out to the a field and see for yourself. That is alot of the fun of building custom rods. Learning something new all the time. If you ever get the chance attend a ICRBE and you can talk with and learn from the BEST in the world. Tight Lines and Fresh Bait

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 05, 2022 09:59AM

I am convinced that "mocking up" guide trains with guides and reel reel taped to the blank and test-casting various configurations will yield more credible results than claims made in rod blank or rod component advertisements - "DIY"!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster