I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommendations on blanks for jig fishing
Posted by: Jeff Dodd (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: August 04, 2022 12:02PM

I'm fairly new to rod building but I've done enough that they are looking really good now. I'm looking for recommendation for a casting blank for jig fishing. I need several for 1/2 ounce jigs with large trailers. It will be used around scattered weeds and light timber. Mostly casting with some pitching. I've built an MHX MB843 and It does a good job for what its used for. I'm looking for a lighter and more sensitive blank now that I have the actual build down pretty well.

Any recommendation on specific brands and blank numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations on blanks for jig fishing
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 04, 2022 01:38PM

I have enjoyed the NFC X-ray SJ736 but 1/2oz with a big trailer like a super chunk or beaver is really pushing the limit. I have since moved my 1/2oz to 3/4oz to the NFC MB7108 and am really finding it to be a great rod. It really excels when pitching.

Sticking with MHX The Elite-X NMB874 is worth looking at. The Elite Pro NEPS92HF I use for offshore 3/4 to 1oz football jigs in brush piles. It has done very well for the last few years.

For what you are doing I imagine something in the IP around 850 +/-, and an AA of around 70 or so.

Date: August 04, 2022 03:01PM

Thank you for your suggestions that is exactly the information I'm looking for. I have built an MB736 and its just a little light for 1/2oz jigs but works great for lighter worm/jigs in my opinion.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2022 04:41PM

You also might want to look at a couple of offerings from Rainshadow. I have a lot of experience with a rod I built on the Immortal IMMC72MH blank. It's an awesome blank with plenty of power for the size baits you're talking about, and sensitivity is excellent. It will flat move fish on a hook set. It does have one down fall though, and that is that it is not a well balanced blank. I don't think it would be possible to build a rod that isn't tip heavy. I use the rod for flipping and pitching to heavy cover, and to counteract the tip heaviness, I added weight to the butt of the rod. In my case I added 2 3/8 oz to the butt of the rod. If fishes like a dream, and while it is heavy, it doesn't feel heavy when you fish it. I have it balanced so it is very tip light. If you were looking to have it neutrally balanced you wouldn't have to use the amount of weight I used.

But there are many that would never add weight to a rod for any purpose. Especially the amount of weight I added. I understand the former to a degree. But it is what it is. It's an awesome blank though.

The other Rainshadow blank would be the RX10 Eternity ETEC74H. I have no personal experience with that blank, but the one RX 10 blank I have built on is as good or better than any other blank I have built on. Personally, if I were building the rod you seek my choice would be the RX10 Eternity blank I mentioned. The biggest reason I would choose that blank is because Batson provides CCS numbers for the blank. They list the blank as having an IP of 912 grams, and an AA of 70.

I'd buy it without hesitation. The RX10s are in the same class as the NFC X ray blanks. They cost more, but IMO it would be money well spent. Rainshadow blanks are awesome blanks.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 04, 2022 04:41PM

You are welcome.

The NFC MB736 is a bit lighter in power than the SJ but the SJ is still not quite there for 1/2oz and a big trailer. When casting the SJ for me maxes out around 3/8oz with a smaller cowboy type trailer. And I don't even jig on the MB736. I use a cut down spinning version for mostly shakey head and a casting one for 1/4oz T-rig.

These are just my opinions. I don't consider myself a master or authority but I have made a handful of each these with good success in my hands and others.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 04, 2022 06:28PM

Take a look at Point Blank PB731MHXF (IP = 827 gm, AA = 79) or PB731HXF (IP = 927 gm, AA = 77). Both are fantastic blanks, very light with extra fast tips and lots of power.
Norm

Posted by: Keith George (---)
Date: August 04, 2022 08:11PM

The SJ725 is the blank from NFC you should look at. It has a much better tip for jig fishing than the 736. If you like longer rods the 765 would fit the bill.

Date: August 05, 2022 06:42PM

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations! Your help is greatly appreciated.. I have a lot to learn on how to choose blanks for different lures..

Date: August 05, 2022 06:42PM

NFC recommended a MB 765-1 when I called and ask them. Does anyone have any experience this this blank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 07:17PM by Jeff Dodd.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2022 08:44PM

Jeff, if you have a specific rod that you like for fishing certain lures, you would be doing yourself a favor by taking CCS measurements for IP and AA. Knowing those numbers will help you in selecting a blank that closely matches or duplicates the rod you really like.

Then you can look at the measured powers of the different rods you have and correlate that to specific bait groups. If you were looking for a rod with a little more power than a rod you use for a certain bait, then you can look for a blank with a higher IP. If you like the power but wish it had a little softer tip, then you look for a blank close in power, but with a higher AA. And vice versa. A stiffer tip, a lower AA. A less powerful blank, a lower IP.

The problem is, there aren't many manufacturers that supply CCS numbers. Point Blank does. Batson, distributor of Rainshadow blanks supplies them for their RX10 line up. And from what I have read on this site not all that long ago, NFC is working on supplying CCS numbers for their blanks as well.

Then you have this site, where members post CCS numbers for various blanks they've built on. CCS numbers are very handy if you apply them in a useful manner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster