I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rod Blank Weight
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: July 28, 2022 03:48PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as long as the
> double haul is used. :-)

I've about mastered the roll cast with my little ned rigs but I'm gonna have to work on that double haul :)

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 28, 2022 03:58PM

Every since I started rod building many years ago, published weights have always been a problem, some of the highend blanks same length and power would sometimes appear to weight the same, or be heavier on paper then the lesser grade blanks. They weren't sometimes, were others, I learned to go with the flow, it is what it is, many times the lesser grade rods were large butt, thin walled and so as light, or lighter.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2022 06:08PM

Ron, I still have my first build..It,s a Herters kit build fly rod four weight or whatever a D level line is, anyway it casts a four weight line today..I built it in the early 60s..Laquer was the CP and varnish was the thread finish, no epoxys yet and Duco like cement was used on rings and handle glue up,.I learned more about rod building with that first rod than any other..It,s a special rod..your,s will be too.

Date: July 28, 2022 08:39PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> I learned to go
> with the flow, it is what it is,

This sounds like an excellent philosophy .

Date: July 28, 2022 08:46PM

ben belote Wrote:
> Ron, I still have my first build..It,s a Herters
> kit build fly rod four weight or whatever a D
> level line is, anyway it casts a four weight line
> today..I built it in the early 60s..Laquer was the
> CP and varnish was the thread finish, no epoxys
> yet and Duco like cement was used on rings and
> handle glue up,.I learned more about rod building
> with that first rod than any other..It,s a
> special rod..your,s will be too.

Yes sir . If I can get her built , I do believe she'll be special . Hadn't thought about Herters in a coons age . Eons ago I had one of their recurve bows and loved it .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 29, 2022 04:08PM

Ron, don't worry. You'll see stuff that no one else does, and how it looks will not affect its fishing. You will naturally get better wtih practice and experience. Your curiosity and willingness to learn will serve you well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 29, 2022 07:47PM

Ron - I suggest you hold your fly-rod handle next to your ear and move it in a line straight forward and straight backward not much more than a foot, like a punch, with your rod pointing straight up. That is what a good double-haul looks like. Combine the straight-forward push of the rod with a short, sharp downward jerk [NOT more than a foot long] on your fly line to speed your backcast. Allow your hand (still holding the line) to drift up next to your hand holding the rod. When the line straightens behind you punch your still straight up-and-down rod straight forward while giving a fast, foot long straight-down jerk on the fly line with you rod hand. Freeze and watch the line whiz out your guide train. Speed and timing - not strength.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 30, 2022 01:50AM

Phil,
If you cannot afford actual numerical increases in inches / feet to your method / style of fly casting, then it is simply as worthless as the marketing mimoriick which you so adamantly and arrogantly oppose.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 30, 2022 02:36AM

thanks Phil, good stuff!

Date: July 30, 2022 11:11AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Ron, how it looks will not affect its
> fishing. You will naturally get better wtih
> practice and experience.

Thanks Mr. Danek . I have no doubt that , if I can get her built , the rod will fish better than I do . As far as improving with time and experience - I would rather try to get it close on this first attempt . I am at that stage in life where I have to think twice before I buy green bananas :)

Date: July 30, 2022 11:35AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> Ron - I suggest you hold your fly-rod handle next
> to your ear and move it in a line straight forward
> and straight backward not much more than a foot,
> like a punch, with your rod pointing straight up.
> That is what a good double-haul looks like.
> Combine the straight-forward push of the rod with
> a short, sharp downward jerk [NOT more than a foot
> long] on your fly line to speed your backcast.
> Allow your hand (still holding the line) to drift
> up next to your hand holding the rod. When the
> line straightens behind you punch your still
> straight up-and-down rod straight forward while
> giving a fast, foot long straight-down jerk on the
> fly line with you rod hand. Freeze and watch the
> line whiz out your guide train. Speed and timing -
> not strength.

Thanks Mr. Ewanicki . Really good description of double-haul technique . I still have my old Fenwick FF857 that I bought back in the 70s and I still think it's a marvelous fly rod . I will practice what you described when I have her out next . I do owe you an apology though . When I made my original post , I did not mention that I was going to try to use the blank in a spinning rod build . It's just as well because , otherwise , I wouldn't have this information to work with next time I have the Fenwick out . Thanks again .

Ron

Date: July 30, 2022 01:27PM

Ron, I could tell you some green banana stories, if I could only remember them..Ha! if it weren't for rod building and bug making my brain would be useless..Your Fenwick fly rod, is that an eight foot seven weight? If so,.it would make a nice bass bugging rod..Is that your use?

Date: July 30, 2022 05:02PM

ben belote Wrote:
> Ron, I could tell you some green banana stories,
> if I could only remember them..Ha! if it weren't
> for rod building and bug making my brain would be
> useless..Your Fenwick fly rod, is that an eight
> foot seven weight? If so,.it would make a nice
> bass bugging rod..Is that your use?

Yes sir . It's either 8 or 8.5 ft. two piece and a 7 weight . I bought it specifically for bass fishing but it's fun even with shell crackers and blue gill . I don't guess it's up to modern day standards but I'm still partial to it's feel . Ignorance being bliss I suppose :)

Date: July 31, 2022 03:26PM

Ron: I think you will be surprised and pleased when you master the double-haul fly-casting technique: You will at least double your fly - casting range, no matter how much you paid for your rod and line. And no matter what they say - Longer is Better!

Date: July 31, 2022 04:14PM

Let's all just agree that the double haul is a good technique to learn so we don't need the preaching about it any more.

But I have to ask, Phil, for your numbers that justify the statement that it will ". . .at least double your fly-casting range. . ." Don't you dare ask for more numbers until you provide these. Otherwise you will just be one of those evil advertisers who try to sell us on stuff but don't provide numbers.

Date: July 31, 2022 05:10PM

A fly rod waver does well to cast 40 feet. A reasonably adept double-haul fly caster will have little difficulty fly casting 80 feet. Don't take my word. Ask around. At least half of the general population agrees longer is better. [Notice the numbers?]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 01, 2022 12:44AM

Yet again another example of Ewaniki failing to back-up his statements with hard data / facts which he so adamantly expects and demands from the rest of us. UNTIL YOU COME TO YOUR SENSES (IF EVEN POSSIBLE) GIVE US ALL A BREAK, PHIL!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 01, 2022 05:55AM

Phil, there is no way the double haul can get me from 40 to 80 feet. And your numbers are not data, they are guesses. Shame on you, evil advertiser/misleading marketer of the double haul.

Date: August 01, 2022 11:32AM

Michael: You may be right. I assume you tried to learn to double haul but your attempt was a failure - as indicated in your last post. My numbers are not guesses but predictions, based upon scores of fly casters over several decades who I have coached to double haul. Some were unable to co-ordinate rod stroke with haul - but are still accomplished fly anglers. I think you do yourself a disfavor by predicting your failure: ". . . there is no way a double haul can get me from 40 to 80 feet" - or have you already tries and failed? Maybe if you could find a better instructor . . .?

Date: August 01, 2022 11:58AM

Phil, correct me if I,m wrong but in your description above of the double haul I think you have too many forward punches. no?

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster