I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass Section
Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: July 25, 2022 09:41PM

All,

I have a customer that reached out to me asking to repair their rod that is broken about 12" down from the tip. I have read and understand the article by Ralph O'Quinn on the repair for this type of break. The only issue I have is that I don't have any broken fiberglass rods that can used to repair this broken rod. Is there any kind of supplier that you guys know of that sells small fiberglass sections that could be used for the inner and outer sleeves?

Thank you,

Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass Section
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 26, 2022 07:11AM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2022 11:53AM

Old garage sale rods are a great way to go, you can have a few complete rods for the price of shipping anything now days. I used to pick up broken, or scrap glass blanks at Lamiglas from time to time, but Imdon't know how much glass blank business they still do, I only lived about 30 miles away from them and Angler's Woorkshop next store back in the day.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 26, 2022 12:43PM

Talk to the people at fishing tackle/sporting goods stores. Many of these stores will have broken rods that have been returned, most of these will be trashed. Explaining your situation and asking nicely can result in a stash of free broken rods that can be used for repairs. In addition, if you have friends that fish, I’m sure some will have broken rods they are willing to give to you just to get them out of their garage.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2022 02:55PM

Glass is harder to come by than it used to be, found a medium power spinning Roddy Rod with old silver Diawa reel on it down the street for $3 just a few weeks ago. Used the brass ferrule to fix my uncle's old rod.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 27, 2022 01:14AM

Thankfully I stocked up before Dick Posey passed. Some places sell Fiberglas repair kits with sections of Glass. Goodwill and similar places. This is also Garage sale time.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: July 27, 2022 01:35AM

Lee,
The above replies are good indeed. Take note to NOT repair the FG rod with a CF sleeve or spigot = the higher modules CF “splint” may (probably will) cause the lower modules FG rod to break at the ends of the splint = only use FG for the repair.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: July 27, 2022 04:43AM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses!

Lee

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 27, 2022 08:56AM

Trash barrels at popular stop-and-fish spots have a steady supply of broken rods.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-51-79-18.net)
Date: July 27, 2022 09:29AM

Go to your local tackle store and tell them you would like to have or would pay a few bucks for scrap glass rod blanks that they have turned in. Most tackle shops have a lot of that junk lying around.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 27, 2022 04:54PM

I have to confess that I have repaired graphite rods with low mod (cheapie) graphite sleeves and the repairs have been successful. I don't dispute that glass is better, but I dispute the idea that all graphite repairs will fail. As Spencer says, glass is getting pretty hard to find unless you're willing to pay big bucks for pawn shop junk.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 27, 2022 06:40PM

I repair a lot of broken rods, and I use both graphite and fiberglass. Just depends on which one allows the repaired rod to bend smoothly when loaded.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster