I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tips on drilling straight reel seat arbors?
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: July 24, 2022 04:01PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are using a VSS 16 reel seat, I would
> recommend gluing the arbors in the reel seat
> before installing. The VSS 16 seat has two
> different IDs, the rear half ID is13 mm and the
> front half ID is 15 mm. Also the cutout contour of
> the VSS grips make it more difficult to glue the
> arbors, grip and reel seat together at the same
> time. I normally glue the arbors into the seat and
> when cured ream both the seat and grip to dry fit
> the blank. I then remove them and glue them
> together as a unit. I find doing it this way makes
> it easier to get a good glue joint and have the
> edges of the grip and seat match perfectly. It
> also makes clean up easier. When cured I install
> the reel seat and grip together as a unit. If
> needed you can slightly ream to get a good fit. I
> ream all the components as I described above. I
> have used a lot of VSS and IPS reel seats over the
> years with good success. I have a rod lathe but
> don’t find it necessary for simple reaming
> chores. I admit I have a lot of experience reaming
> and thus have gotten pretty good at it. There are
> others ways of doing it, but this is how I do it.
>
> Norm

Thanks Mr. Miller . I am trying to cobble together a VSS17 graphite body with a KSKSS17 hidden thread hood and VSS17 cork rear grip . I had no idea the VSS seats had two IDs . I purchased the NSA17 Fuji arbors which are supposed to "fit all size 17 seats" . The actual seat is one of the few parts I have not received yet but , when it comes in , I'll see if I can figure out a way to make things fit . I can see how the seat and grip could be made to fit together more cleanly if they glued together prior to installation but somehow it seems that reaming shorter pieces might be more precise for someone with my non existant experience ?? This is shaping up to be a very interesting adventure . Thank you again .

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 24, 2022 04:16PM

Mr. Ewanicki ,
Building reamers like you've described sounds like an excellent way to get precise tools for a reasonable cost . Sounds similar to what Mr. Kirkman described in his book but perhaps the contact cement and sandpaper would be more readily available . Only problem is that you and I must live in alternant universes . Shucks, there aren't even whole blanks in my neck of the woods much less a supply of broken butt sections . If I had access to these sections , I would certainly try to make up a set . Really good idea .

Re: Tips on drilling straight reel seat arbors?o
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 24, 2022 04:46PM

Ronald, only the VSS 16 seat has the two different IDs. The VSS17 seat is fine it has the same ID throughout its length and it will take a size 17mm arbor. This is also true for for the VSS 15//16 seat, same ID front and back which is 15mm. When using a KSKSS hidden thread hood on any VSS seat you will need to trim a little bit of the threaded barrel of the seat back. To do this, I screw the hidden thread hood all the way down on the reel seat, and cut off the threaded barrel portion that extends beyond the hood sleeve. This allows the hood with cork fore grip sleeve installed to be screwed all the way down on the reel seat. If you don’t trim the barrel the hood will not go all the way down and with time you will break the cork sleeve. If you have any questions about the installation of the VSS seat and grip, please feel free to contact me.
Norm

Date: July 24, 2022 05:24PM

Mr.Miller,
Thank you very much for the help you've given me with this . Means a great deal .

Ron

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 24, 2022 07:03PM

X-2 on many topics.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 25, 2022 09:00AM

Roland,
A ready supply for blanks is the charity box at fishing stores where folks drop off old rods.

Or you can go to a pawn shop and purchase an old rod.

Or go to a salvation army or a good will store and there will often be a bucket or rods for $1 each.

Garage sales will often have a bunch of fishing rods for sale - cheap.

Always be on the alert for a rod to scrounge up cheaply.

Best wishes.

Date: July 25, 2022 11:22AM

Mr. Wilson,
Good advice . Thank you . I have a good friend who frequently makes the rounds of thrift stores , estate sales , etc . I'll ask him to help me with this . Thanks again .

Ron

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2022 04:54PM

Hey guys, our pilot bits are awesome. They work on arbors and cork. We have standard sizes and 16" long bits for rear grips. Here is a link:

[flexcoat.com]

Also, here are a couple videos we did a number of years ago:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 27, 2022 09:07AM

The trash cans at a local fishing pier have a steady supply of broken rod blanks. Fishing spots next to parking lots are a good source, especially if adjacent waters are surrounded by trees or full of snags.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster