I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ804 for drift boat
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: July 20, 2022 07:37PM

Any takes on the SJ804 for drift boat for surface feeding river stripers? HM, IM, Delta?
Had a relative ask for a rod based on one he used. Trying to verify it was that blank and what series. I did see minimal info on another site where they were using it for Coastal wade fishing in Texas, but little else.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ804 for drift boat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 21, 2022 01:30AM

It is cut to 7 1/2 ft and used as a hover fishing rod ( dead drifting salmon eggs from a boat ), for chinook salmon in the Pacific NW rivers.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2022 10:20PM

Tim,

The most common one used by guides in the PNW for side drifting is the ST7111

[northforkcomposites.com]

The tip is light, it loads deep, and the butt had enough power to put the breaks on the fish.

Best,
Aleks

Date: July 28, 2022 01:19AM

The guides prefer the 711-1, but I prefer the 741-1 (IM), i think it has more butt and they are durable. Love this rod for soft beads.

Date: July 28, 2022 08:49AM

Thanks guys. A lighter tip with plenty of power in the butt is what he is looking for.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (212.103.48.---)
Date: July 28, 2022 11:09AM

Tim,
Also consider the CTS 8'0" AIR either 3/8 - 1.0 Oz or 1/2 - 1 1/2 Oz
They have lighter if needed.
Also comes in shorter lengths
[ctsfishing.com]

Herb
CTS Rep

Date: July 28, 2022 12:08PM

Thanks Herb, will give a look at lighter models.

Date: July 28, 2022 03:31PM

If you go to my facebook page I put a video there that shows how the Edge Rods built on the blanks myself and Aleks recommended look with multiple sized steelhead attached, one very decent sized one, specifically the 741-1 I like. These are not your average 4 to 8 lb power rods as you will see.

Date: July 28, 2022 09:17PM

I relayed to relative as I’m not on SM. He did say they were throwing small size 6 and 8 Xraps at the surface activity. Looks like 1/8 and 1/4 ounce

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.evrt.wa.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: July 31, 2022 11:58AM

Spencer, I went to your facebook page to checkout your videos, but I was unable to see any posts.

Date: July 31, 2022 01:11PM

Don't know what to say Jordan, just checked and it worked on my profile, it's a youtube video titled "Umpqua River Winter Steelhead- Willamette Valley Outfitters".

Date: July 31, 2022 03:49PM

Thanks Spencer (or do you prefer Butch?). I found it on youtube. I am not a pro or even semi-competent at facebook, so my inability to view on facebook could be (or probably is) due to operator error.

Looks like a fun day on the river!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 04:17PM by Jordan Smith.

Date: July 31, 2022 10:50PM

Aleks, I know NFC aimed to measure CCS on every blank, have you measured CCS on these blanks?

Also, it appears that many/most favor the IM version compared to the HM for this application. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster