I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reelseat sizing
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.37.nulinkdigital.com)
Date: July 18, 2022 08:24AM

I’m feeling pretty stupid right now. How do you determine the size reelseat you need for the foot on a reel? I have a new Penn Spinfisher 6500 and the Fuji seat I bought is too small for the reelfoot. Pretty much every dimension I see seems to be ID and OD related.
Thank you,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reelseat sizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2022 12:33PM

Too small lengthwise or widthwise?

I size the seat to fit my hand, not the rod blank. In most cases anything size 20 or larger should easily accommodate just about reel foot length out there. If the width is an issue, then again, the 20 and up should handle it.

Date: July 18, 2022 06:14PM

Thanks Tom, the reelseats are too narrow. Guess I need to order a size 20. I guess this applies to any of the aluminum seats too?

Date: July 18, 2022 07:32PM

Maybe and maybe not. Aftma tried to standardize reel seat feet some years ago but not everyone got on board. Usually, the foot size does not necessarily enlarge just because the reel does. Fly reels have gotten better in this regard but other reels still have a way to go.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if a 20 won't accommodate that reel.

Date: July 19, 2022 07:23AM

I too like to have the reelseat fit my hand. I am building an XH rod to use for tarpon and it will sit in a rodholder floating live baits but I also hope to be able to throw some big artificial baits with it too.

Thanks again Tom,

Steve

Date: July 19, 2022 08:15AM

A 22 might be even better for that purpose unless you or the customer has smaller hands.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 19, 2022 12:03PM

I have been known to dress (file down) the foot of a reel to fit an existing rod.

If there is no drastic material removal required there should be no danger of compromising the integrity of the reel.

If the existing reel seat fits you well and you can trim down the reel foot then go for it. Don't compromise by using a larger uncomfortable reel seat to satisfy the reel..

Have fun

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 19, 2022 02:12PM

There was a good article in Rod Maker Magazine about measuring your hand for an ergonomic fit with regards to reel seat size.

If I remember right, a normal hand for a normal man is a size 18mm or 20mm. I found the "standard" size 16mm much too small for my best comfort. (Not to mention if I were going to attach a large reel to it!)

Tom can correct me here!

Date: July 19, 2022 02:47PM

Actually, even a size 20 is ergonomically incorrect for all but the smallest hands, but you have to work with what's available. There is a formula based on U.S. Military research for handle and grip sizing per the distance from your wrist to tip of middle finger. That 6 part series is way too much to go into here but suffice to say that your reel seat diameter should not be less than 11% of the distance between your wrist to the tip of your middle finger. This provides the greatest grasp for the least amount of grip strength, and the least amount of muscle fatigue for the time the handle or grip is in the grasp.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: July 22, 2022 10:27PM

FYI, I ordered a couple more reelseats, a CRB standard spinning seat size 18 and a couple Fuji Ergonomic NPS seats size 20 and 22. My Penn Spinfisher 6500 fits all 3 of these seats. Thanks for all the input.

Steve

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: July 22, 2022 11:15PM

I recently built a 6' 40-60 spinner on an American tackle blank for a friend of mine and used an American Tackle 3k carbon size 18 reel seat and fit a 6000 penn perfectly. But I wouldn't of expected a Fuji 18 to fit it. We ran into an issue with the Van Staal VR50 not fitting properly in a Fuji Deluxe size 18 so now I fit every reel to its reel seat before I start building the rod from now on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster