I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Thank You For Moving Topics
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2022 10:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2022 10:17PM

The only thing I'll add is that this site was performing as well when I sold it as it was shortly after I started it. It's never been in any stage of decline. Even in the face of "modern" social media it was still the top of the heap in terms of continuing rod building information. And I think Aleks will keep it just as relevant, if not even more so, as it's been all these years.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2022 08:25AM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the site performs poorly according to Ben and
> Billy says Alek bought it to bring new life to it.
> Why would anybody do that? Why not start a new,
> fresh site instead of spending money on something
> that is supposedly worn out and not performing
> well? Sorry guys but your comments do not make any
> sense.

For the record and to make sure there are no misunderstandings with the way you worded your post, there is not a single post where I said the site performs poorly. Alecks response explaining why he bought the site which lines up with exactly what I've been trying to make you understand about teh site needing these changes. THis is exactly what he told me when I met him at the ICRBE and he explained his vision. Hopefully now the comment make sense to you.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: July 30, 2022 10:53AM

Please read again -- "So the site performs poorly according to Ben..."

My point all along is that taking the most popular and most successful site and trying to make it more like the less popular and less successful sites is not a good idea. I never said that new features or abilities were a bad thing. But to the point of this particular topic the bounce or bump up topic feature is one of the things all the less popular and less successful forums used. RBO's non-bump up feature proved to work better. If it has to be done this new way to make use of the App then that's that. In other words add new features or whatever but do not try to fix what's not broken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 11:16AM by Mike Ballard.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 31, 2022 07:55PM

I for one, feel 100% better now. Nuthin' like gettin' schooled

Posted by: Danny Wood (---.46.234.77.ptr.avast.com)
Date: August 01, 2022 09:01AM

Seems like the same four or five topics have stayed at the top for a month now? Maybe the original owner knew what he was doing?

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 01, 2022 12:17PM

And?

Date: August 01, 2022 12:22PM

Danny Wood Wrote:
> Seems like the same four or five topics have
> stayed at the top for a month now? Maybe the
> original owner knew what he was doing?

Look at how many posts and how many views the posts that sit up at the top are getting. The old format these posts would have fallen off and disappeared, replaced by topics which are of no interest or do not warrant an extended discussion. REfreshing

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (212.103.48.---)
Date: August 01, 2022 12:37PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
> Danny Wood Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seems like the same four or five topics have
> > stayed at the top for a month now? Maybe the
> > original owner knew what he was doing?
>
>
> Look at how many posts and how many views the
> posts that sit up at the top are getting. The old
> format these posts would have fallen off and
> disappeared, replaced by topics which are of no
> interest or do not warrant an extended discussion.
> REfreshing

What Billy said!
Herb

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 01, 2022 01:14PM

Lynn Be#hler Wrote:
> I for one, feel 100% better now. Nuthin' like
> gettin' schooled

“Only a mind that is deeply stirred can utter something noble and beyond the power of others.” ~ Seneca

Date: August 01, 2022 01:28PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:

>
> Look at how many posts and how many views the
> posts that sit up at the top are getting. The old
> format these posts would have fallen off and
> disappeared, replaced by topics which are of no
> interest or do not warrant an extended discussion.
> REfreshing

But is it just the same few people creating those views as they come back to see what the last guy put up? Nobody new I don't think. The newer topics have already been pushed down and off the page.

Date: August 01, 2022 02:24PM

The newer topics that were not commented on for two full weeks. It doesnt' matter who is viewing or posting, there is interest. If you are so concerned about the posts which have already ran their course, go ahead and post and comment on them.. Funny stuff in here!!

Date: August 01, 2022 03:58PM

I was talking about the newer topics that are only a few days old. I did get some help on a topic I posted a couple days ago and thanks but it was about rod building. Is just chit-chat like this old topic better? No idea but don't think so..

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 01, 2022 04:20PM

Danny...your just gonna have to check page 2 for newer posts you may have missed since your last login.
If it something your really interested in...just click the "follow topic" button.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: August 01, 2022 06:37PM

Danny Wood Wrote:
> I was talking about the newer topics that are only
> a few days old. I did get some help on a topic I
> posted a couple days ago and thanks but it was
> about rod building. Is just chit-chat like this
> old topic better? No idea but don't think so..

Billy does not understand the difference between views and unique views. If you are after advertising and site ranking 4 guys clicking on a topic 25 times each is NOT the same thing as 100 guys each clicking on it once. The public end of this site only shows total views. It does not show unique views. I assume that somewhere on the administration end they can see the number of unique views.

Date: August 01, 2022 06:59PM

Thanks for teaching that to me Mike, I appreciate it. One day I'll teach you about monkey see monkey do - when people see a hot topic they click on it and quite often come out of teh wood work to post on it. Just look at how much interest this post recieved - you're still posting on it, and Danny has been a member for 10 years and he's racking up his total post count to 9 with half of them in this post. Honestly, you guys should spend more time posting on actual rod building posts.
Maybe one of these days you can teach me how to use the internet and I can become famous, lol.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: August 01, 2022 07:02PM

Billy you are making my point. It is only a hot topic for a half dozen of us. Nobody else cares. And like you say nothing about this topic has anything to do with rod building.

Date: August 02, 2022 10:42AM

You should be a yoga instructor...interesting how you twist and stretch words to fit your narrative. Here are actual numbers...we're on page 4 of this topic, and 10 different people have made a comment..on page 4 alone. That is more than TWENTY ONE of the posts appearing on Page 1 of RBO. It doesn't need to be about rodbuilding how to's to be interesting, which is why so many people keep coming in here to read it - 1566 views as of now. You have a severe lack of knowledge on how the internet works, but fitting the internet warrior profile: you have no problem telling someone who does know, how much they don't know.

Bottom line = Alecks is putting in a lot of effort to improve this site and make it relevant on the technology side. If you truly love and care about the site, you'd support his efforts.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: August 02, 2022 11:16AM

Your usual insults ignored,, I do support Alecks efforts. But as I stated before you cannot discount 20+ years of success as the most popular rod building forum in the world. The question to ask is "why" and what might any changes do to that success. It might turn out to be equally successful but in a different way and that is ok. This topic reads more like something off a chat room than a rod building forum. If people would rather have a chat room that is also ok, but it is not what this site was about or why it became so successful. As far as how the internet works I do know a thing or to. The number of views is not what advertisers or rankings go by. It is the number of unique views. 10 people being responsible for 1500 views is not anything to crow about. 20 people being responsible for 100 views is more valuable. This topic has nothing to do with custom rod building. If it did not keep coming back to the top it could still go for those interested but further down and off the top of page where it now keeps pushing real rod building topics down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 11:38AM by Mike Ballard.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2022 12:58PM

One thing to remember is that the forum rules remain intact. That means discuss and disagree all you like, but insults, jabs, barbs, etc., still don't fly here.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster