I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I couldn't believe my eyes!!
Posted by: Paul O (---.dialup.umn.edu)
Date: December 02, 2001 07:24PM

I recently went to a local fishing show here in the midwest. There was a man there selling custom rods. He had about 40 rods already made up and was selling them 'off the rack'.

Now I'm just a beginner in building rods (only about 20 or so), but what I saw I couldn't beleive.

Each guide wrap had a TON of bubbles on it, but only on one side, with a huge wave of finish on the other.

This 'Custom Builder' must have slopped the freshly mixed finish on and then not rotated the rod. Once I saw the finish, I didn't even bother to look at the rest of the craftsmanship, I could only be further dispointed.

Now this is only the second time I have seen custom rods with my own eyes, and I was dissapointed. I certainly hope that most people take more care in there work than this gentleman.

Does the guild have a program where builders work is checked to make sure they still meet the standards that they needed to be certified?

Thanx for listening to me rant.

Paul O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I couldn't believe my eyes!!
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 02, 2001 08:31PM

That is one problem with our trade. Anyone can call themselves a custom rod builder. So buyer beware

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.241.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 02, 2001 08:41PM

What you saw is actually common place. The word custom means different things to different people. On this site we generally use the word to describe a rod built to a customer's specifications after receiving opinions from the builder.

I build rods that are not custom just to use up outdated or overstocked parts. You will not see the word custom on any of them.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2001 09:01PM

You will find that kind of work mostly from builders who are interested in selling lots and lots of rods. They should not be considered custom as much as they are just production rods from an individual. It is a shame to see someone use the word custom and reflect upon all of us though.

Unfortunately, I've seen them too.
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 03, 2001 01:57AM

Paul,
You bring up several points, and some sorely give black eyes to deserving custom rod builders. Also, anyone can call themselves 'custom' rod builders. In fact, anyone can call themselves 'certified custom rodbuilders'. One thing the Custom Rod Builders Guild does is have a committee of experienced and respected member of the craft to evaluate a project sent to them upon joining and paying the fee, to evaluate the basics of technique that one has mastered to call themselves specifically "Guild Certified Custom Rod Builder". The guild , I believe is also taking some steps in the future to further the ways of insuring standards, but this is to be determined over time and the dedication of the Certification Director and committees.

Paul, now a lot of us hate to judge others work. In fact, I consider myself as an 'average' (customers may say better, and also I can be harsher to judging my own rods), although fairly knowledgable rodbuilder as you also appear to be. We hate to see 'sub standard' "custom rods" of others to reflect on our particular efforts, as in this case is obvious to you. I have seen some 'custom rods' that are so poorly constructed with just taped guides and some form of 'epoxy' slapped on (the guides fall off, because I've gotten them in my shop to repair). On first glance from a distance, the 'fancy' handled rods and the buttwrap design will entice the customer. But the buttwrap is bad, with a terrible finish that will wear off in a season, the guides terribly misaligned and skimped with number, the blanks are absolute seconds or blems (very cheap) and passed off at a 'custom' high price.

So many rodbuilders would not care to be challenged by others, as they merrily go along selling to the unsuspecting public. As a minimum, these rodbuilders should use fundamentally accepted rodbuilding techniques, and adequate quality components. The problem is there really are no 'standards'. A quality conscious custom builder is willing to explain to their customers the basics of why their rods have the appearance and performance expected, such as prouldy showing a bubble free and smooth finish, better quality components, and so on. Or else just be fair and say you get what you pay for, and let the customer decide.

There is further need for buyers to be aware of what is good quality as opposed to poor quality regarding custom crafted rods.

my opinion

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Unfortunately, I've seen them too.
Posted by: David (---.dialup.crchtx.swbell.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 02:50AM

It is commonplace to see such rods of poor quality. I actually know people who advise people to buy their rods that are made with "blems" and "seconds" when for the same price, they can get a top quality blank. When i build a rod, I make it as though Im building it for myself. You know what, everytime a customer comes in to pick up their rod, they of course admire my work, but deep down inside I feel as though Im getting ripped off for my work and my prices, even though Im not cheap. I dont use a high speed wrapper, I do everything by hand, very slowly ( yes, even those long underwraps) It's not by choice! But I make damn sure to do an excellent job. One of my biggest satisfactions came when I walked into my customers home and he had the rod that I made for him over the fireplace on a display. A rodbuilder must take the time to do a good job, thats why I have a 100 percent satisfaction with every rod I build.

Posted by: roncaddis (---.eureka1.ca.home.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 11:52PM

I recently had the opportunity to sell one of my rods that I had built on a LU blank; 9' 5# to a fellow in San Francisco. I was very nervous about what he was going to think, I guess paranoid as this was the first chance to get comments on my rod building finesse. Remember, I had built it for myself and it was only the fifth rod I had ever built. Upon receiving it he emailed me to say how nice a job I had done. He even used the word "beautiful rod." Needless to say, I was elated. The only cirteria I had for building it was I wanted a nice rod and I took my time. I know exactly what David in the post above means.

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 02:56AM

I also had the chance to see a poor "custom Rod" It belonged to my boss. It was an "All American" built on an All Star Blank. He broke it on one of those big fish hook sets ( Tree stump) He gave it to me for parts. The guide feet were purple from the grinder, I was able to twist the reel seat free with little effort, he later told me the lock was a problem from day one always coming loose , it had a cardboard tube as a bushing, and they used a split ring epoxied near the butt for a hook keeper. I just turned the tip section into an ice rod for myself. He paid over 150 dollars for that junk. I made a 6'6" pac bay med light for one of our parts personal and the boss seen it and was so impressed that I have 10 rods to repair guides and if he is happy maybe build a GLX. Two brothers are my boss's and fish bass tournaments. The main brother even sold a semi (I work at a Peterbilt dealership as a mechanic) to Ranger Boat manufacturing . I know because they come in for repairs occasionally. Pretty cool to have a boss that understands us and in need of Repair work.
Mark Schulte

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster