I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

THREAD
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2001 12:10PM

Whats everyones thoughts on using high quality embroidery thread for wrapping guides?

I know that gudebrod owns the market like debers owns the diamond market but is it the only answer for synthetic thread.

I have used gudebrode and it is a very very good product but, I recently saw some thread at the fabric store by a company named Sulky.

I was very impressed so I checked their website ,
The thread is avail in over 300 colors wow !! available in two wts and have 20+ metallic colors including multi-colored metalics and verigated metalics.

I bought a few rolls to try. the 40wt is a bit larger than gossamer silk and smaller than size A, the strength seemed fine! It was stronger than "gossamer silk" but not as strong as "A" but it is an in- between diameter. the thread wrapped very nice and burished nice and tight with few if any fuzzies!, after all, this thread is designed to be punched through a variety of materials at very high speed with a machine.

after I made three test wraps I finished them: one with cp and varithane one without cp with varathane and one with spar varnish. all three acted the same as nylon whould have.

my biggest interest was in the metalic roll I bought.
again it is smaller than "A" and was a joy to wrap.

the metal foil is spiraled tighter than The metalic "A" size that I have on hand and the foil does NOT unravel very easy I tried rubbing the thread a bit to seperate the foil from the rayon base and it stayed put (Great for trim work?)!! Again this is a thread designed for high speed machine use! the metalic stayed its color with all finish methods.

With all this is it logical to think this product would work for rod building?

Several of the bamboo component suppliers are selling a japanese silk thread labled as a "sewing" thread for guides and many of the weavers that e mailed me with color suggestions said that they weave with embroidery thread and one is using embroidery thread for guides with no problems to date.

With so many colors and local availability and what seems to be adequete properties should we look into the possibilty. Im definately going to use the sulky metalic for trim work!! more colors no mail order and very durable. But I would like some input on the use of the standard rayon for wraps.

Sulkys' website can be found by typing "Sulky thread"i nto yahoo or most search engines. the color choices are incredible!!

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THREAD
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2001 12:25PM

Sulky thread has been used for some time in rodbuilding,and some colors require CP all the metallics I have tried didn't need it the only draw back to some is it is flatter then regular rod thread and some have problems with using it.It makes a nice underwrap or trim as you said, and with a little cheating can be used over guides.
John

Re: THREAD
Posted by: John (---.alsv1.occa.home.com)
Date: November 30, 2001 05:16PM

I discovered Sulky 3 years ago and now I do not use anything else. This applies to both regular and metallic thread.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster