I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burl and Rubberized Cork
Posted by: Rob (---.bluestar.net)
Date: July 02, 2001 10:09AM

I like the look of the burl cork mixed with regular cork like the TKR rod in RodMaker Magazine. I'm about to build a fly handle with burl rings on the ends of the full wells and fighting butt for a customer. My fear is that it will chip and look poor after a few hard uses. Any tips or commentary? I see St. Croix and other manufacturers using the rubber particle cork as accents. Can you buy specialty rings in this or other materials that provide the contrast of burl but hold up better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burl and Rubberized Cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 02, 2001 11:21AM

I have made hundreds of grips with "burl" cork and have never, to my knowlege, had one chip or flake apart. They are very durable. For the record, the rod you refer to in the photo is about 8 years old and has been fished pretty hard in the salt. I just did a small clean up on it to make it presentable for the photo.

There are different kinds of "burl" cork. I have seen some that appeared to be pressed from flakes of material. Other types seem to be compressed from smaller bits and pieces of material. I suppose the particular type of "burl" and how it has been made determines how durable it is.

True burl cork is a rarity. It has been some years since I have been able to get any.

I am sure the rubberized cork is even more durable, but am unsure where you can get individual rings. I imagine some of the board sponsors may be able to help you there.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Re: Burl and Rubberized Cork
Posted by: Andy (129.237.146.---)
Date: July 02, 2001 11:56AM

Angler's Workshop sells the rubberized cork disks - these aren't bored as they are most often used for butt caps. I use this material for the butt caps on fighting butts on larger fly rods- works very well and I think looks better than EVA.

Andy

Re: Try Automotive
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (200.56.228.---)
Date: July 02, 2001 01:17PM

I'm in build rods in Monterrey Mexico. Due to the trouble of importing, I try to buy everything I can in-country. I found that the matarial used to make cork gaskets works very well for dressing up handles. I found it in sheets 24" X 30" X 1/4" I made a punch out of pipe to cut out the disks and power reem them. I use a rubberized version of this for but caps. For longer handels I use two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster