I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for sight casting reds
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: July 13, 2022 09:57AM

Looking for a blank for my wife for sight casting to reds in the flood tides. Tossing small baits, maybe 5/16 to 3/8 at upper end. She prefers a mod-modfast rod as she needs to feel it load and to keep the fish pinned. No longer than 7’. Something like SJ703?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for sight casting reds
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 13, 2022 10:42AM

My SJ rods are all fast, or XF action, soft tips and heavy butts, Rainshadow sells a bazillion SP843 for your purpose, others would be the ML popping blanks in any of the other series from them.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: July 13, 2022 11:59AM

Rainshadow SP843 or for an upgrade the Revelation REVIP70M - That is what I built my wife's rods with for that same purpose

Date: July 13, 2022 06:56PM

Would the ML have enough backbone? Thinking some of the popping blanks have more than a traditional 3 power.

And unrelated, but I am not letting her choose the thread color on this one…. When you reach the age that a pink flamingo appears in the yard……..

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 13, 2022 09:12PM

No, the ML is not enough on reds. I like ML blanks for specks but when a red butts in on the action it takes too long to land them.

Date: July 14, 2022 09:04AM

Thanks. Reason I was asking is she does better at cast at a rods upper limit vs lower limit. Will give the 843 a shot. Does anyone know how this compares to the OLD Falcon Ultimate trout (3 power).

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: July 14, 2022 01:12PM

NFC APFG742 or maybe even the 744. I just wrapped the 710, super soft tip, but significant back bone...

Date: July 15, 2022 01:34PM

Thanks, I have one in the cart for my next order. Was also thinking of trying a Delta as a hard use kayak rod

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: July 17, 2022 06:44PM

Have an SP843 on the way.

Additionally any thoughts on general action of crank bait rods vs popping blanks . SP843 vs MA-MB7/8-14 Mag Bass or REVCB70M vs RevIP70M.

Trying to learn the various CCS threads and numbers. Power is apparent, but would numbers do I look at as far as separating out light lure casting vs backbone.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 18, 2022 02:40AM

I think my heavy power crankbait blank is a bit more powerful than the popping blank from Rainshadow, actions I think are pretty similar. I like my old All Star 6 ft 9 in. BAST 813-T Tops and Tails blank for sight fishing, others make similar blanks that are still available. I also have a two piece Rogue popping blank that was very close, but they are no longer available either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2022 02:48AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster