I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to determine if repair is viable
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 12:08PM

How would you determine if a repair to a rod is worth it. Where I live we see freshwater blanks that sensitivity is almost always an issue. If a person were to break his/her graphite rod in the middle somewhere and ask if it can be repaired would it make more sense to sell a new rod. I can see tip top or broken guides or real seats but I have had request to literally make a two piece rod out of broken one piece or make it one piece again. I am not experienced for that yet but common sense tells me more work there sometimes.
Just fishing for opinions.
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to determine if repair is viable
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 01:22PM

I usually leave it up to them, let them know about the sensitivity issue, and let them know about the cost to fix it, and defenitely don't shoot low on the price, because it isn't going to help if you spend a few hours messing with it. also, if I feel that something is beyond my ability, I let the customer know, you can really get yourself dug into a hole fast if you don't know what you are doing(trust me, a guy has a Loomis IMX ice rod now because i got in over my head). Sometimes if it is something I have never tried before,and have read about,or it makes sense to me how it should be done, I have told the customer that I will give it a shot, but that I can't make any promises. because after all, you can't learn something unless you try it right? anyway, thats my 2cents, jeff

Re: How to determine if repair is viable
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 01:49PM

One obvious thing to look for is what was the orginal cost of the rod when new,if it was an inexpensive off the rack model probably not worth repairing,it also might be under warranty and if so they should return it.
John

another spine question
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.midmaine.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 02:58PM

Iwas thinking out loud about spine finders do they work all that good ?? And in Tom Kirkman's rod building guide he talks about a spine finder wondering if someone would have plans for that type and how would one use it correctly ? Great book Tom thanks Marcel

Re: another spine question
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 03:38PM

Mark
Its not the worth of the rod that determines whether to repair or not to repair. Its what the rod is worth to the owner. Many a $29.95 Wal Mart special is the precious favorite of some guy that caught it in the trunk of the car and can't bear to part with it. Its no use explaining to him that it will cost $50.00 to fix it as good as new but that fifty bucks would buy him a much better rod. One with a better reel seat, better guides etc. There are to many memories in the broken rod and besides it feels just right and those new fangled ones don't feel as good. There is no reason why a properly repaird rod should lose any sensitivity.
Ralph

To Repair or Not to Repair?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 29, 2001 06:02PM

Common sense to the repairman (looking at a wall full of broken rods starring in his face) is why would anyone spend more to 'repair' the rod than it originally cost? On the other hand, if that rod was involved in the catch of a lifetime, or an unforgotten fishing experience little can you do to influence the owner about pitching it into reitrment.

Sentimental value often cannot be measured, and with this concept in mind, the repairman will merely perform the service for which they exist. If the customer asks if it's worth it, I agree to go on the advice of John B. and give an honest opinion and go from there.
I think often we go out of our way to influence others of what it is that we personally wish from a custom rod as to appearance. In the case of a repair job, we may not wish to bother with the expense,but that final decision is better to rest with the customer on informed advice.

So, another aspect is one that you may not expect. And this involves a satisfaction to the customer that they were able to find someone interested in their cause of 'resurrection' of their favorite rod. Often with some discussion leading toward the direction of 'custom' you may be able to give 'informed' advice to get a custom built rod from you at some point. Believe me, this has happened more often than I care to admit. How about a tip repair with such satisfaction that it leads to a double whammy wedding gift a bride and groom high end custom outfit worth more than 100 times the value of the repair, and all because your repair brought you and the customer together??

Think of your potential service and value besides the immediately obvious 'cheap' rod repair.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Good Business Practices....
Posted by: Buddy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 11:51PM

Mark,

I'm just getting into rod making, and have no intention of turning it into a business.

That being said, I am a glass artist that makes LOTS of 'custom' work for my customers, and I also do TONS of repairs.

I always repair my own work for free, REGARDLESS of the cause of the damage. Often this means that I actually replace badly shattered pieces, since repairing them is past the realm of possibility. (I'm not suggesting that this should be done with rods, my art work takes several minutes up to at most several hours to make, not the days/hours that a custom rod requires, and my 'material' costs are negligible...) .

And I can't tell you how many times someone has brought me a broken piece of glass work that I know didn't cost them $5, but they gladly, even eagerly, will pay $10 to $20 for me to repair. Usually it's a gift from a loved one, or something they just like, or have had for a long time, but while I might recognize that it's 'not worth repairing', THAT decision should ALWAYS rest with the customer.

Both of these practices are, for me, just good business. The amount of return business that a simple thing like repairing a broken hummingbird wing for free, or fixing the leg on their childs 'favorite' unicorn, is for me well into the thousands of dollars anually.

If the customer wants it fixed, I say fix it to the best of your ability. Always tell them, if you believe it to be true, that you think it's probably not worth the cost of the repair, but let it be their decision.

This should be true if you are fixing broken glass, automobiles, bicycles, or fishing rods.

It's just good business.

Good Luck!

Re: Good Business Practices....
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2001 08:20AM

Ralph I never said don't take the money for the repair job I meant that the customer should be informed that the rod was not worth repairing if they want it done after being informed my advice then would be get the money before the repair is done,have seen all to many repaired rods sitting in the corner of repair shops where the customer decides after the work is done to simply buy a new rod possibly for less money and the repair person is stuck with repaired junk .

A second thought is look beyond the obvious damage all to often we will look at the break determine if it is repairable and after the customer leaves find out the reel seat is loose or damaged all the guides need replacement etc,but Walmart does help keep us in business.
John

Re: Good Business Practices....
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.67.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 30, 2001 05:26PM

1. Determine IF rod can be repaired and how will it look after repair.

2. Determine cost.

3. Call customer and tell him it can/can't be repaired, the cost and your honest opinion of whether it is worth repairing.

4. Customer makes decision.

Simple, simple, simple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster