I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork or EVA?
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: July 10, 2022 10:40PM

I am about to try to put together an NFC 765-1 X-ray NEO blank, and I originally intended to use EVA grips which I have already purchased. But after purchasing Fuji K series reduction and running guides for the blank, I thought I might as well go with what I would call first class, and go with cork grips. The problem is, the butt end of the blank is 15mm (0.6 inches) wide. Mudhole has rear grips for larger rods with an ID of 0.5 inches and an OD of 1.25 inches, which I guess is ideal. Finding a fore grip seems to be more difficult however, no matter where I look.

All sizes and shapes of grips in cork seem to have a bore of 0.25 inches. The OD of these are all about an inch or less. After reaming to a 1/2 inch or close to it, there isn't much meat left. Is this OK, or would I be better off with EVA grips? I do think I would prefer the cork.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork or EVA?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 11, 2022 07:29AM

Are you sure you need a foregrip? I like uplocking seats with a ramp off the front about the same diameter as the hood of the seat. Makes a nice feeling setup.

If you use cork, and it should work, make sure you don't have a press fit of the cork to the blank because cork doesn't like to be stretched and it will most likely split if under the tension induced by a press fit. Make it fit with an easy slide on.

If you have a drill press you can easily adapt it to turn your own cork griips from cork rings and get exactly what you want and have a great variety of cork options to work with. If you want details, email me.

Or, if the EVA grips look like they will work, use them and do cork on your next rod where it might make an easier fit up.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2022 07:31AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 11, 2022 08:49AM

Ernie,

Simply put, start with cork that has a 1 1/2 inch diameter.

This is the cork that is commonly used for Musky fishing rods that have a blank diameter of a size similar to the one that you have.

Take the cork rings, ream each ring to match the location where it will be on the blank - whether it is a rear grip or a fore grip.

Then, place the reamed rings on a mandrel that has masking tape arbors on it to match the size of the rod blank.

Glue up the rings and let cure.

Then, place the arbor with the rings on it in your lathe and turn the grip to your desired shape. Normally for rods with larger blanks of which you have the typical finished size of the grip will be about 1.25 inches.

This will give you plenty of cork for a grip and will give you years of long lasting service.

If you don't have a lathe or the ability to turn a grip, then find premade musky rod grips and you will be good to go.

-----------------------------------
Here are a nice selection of Musky rod grips which would be suitable for your particular blank.

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Best wishes

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2022 09:19AM

In my opinion, if you want to go first class use carbon fiber grips. They are very light, sensitive, look good, feel good, and are extremely durable. In addition they are easy to ream.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2022 09:50AM

Ernie, I can look at someone's rods and see if they are hunting big game or small game..if there's no foregrips they are probably tournament fishermen who seek pounds of fish and thus numbers of fish, and there is a lot more small fish than big fish..anyway you do not need a foregrips for small fish..but if I see foregrips on the rods I think this is a big bass fisherman because he knows the value of foregrips from experience. This is just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2022 10:00AM by ben belote.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 11, 2022 10:16AM

I like a carbon fiber fore grip and a cork rear grip.

You can contact any of the vendors listed for advise on selecting the right size cork grip.

My experience with EVA is over time it gets stiff and crusty and is difficult to keep clean.

john

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---)
Date: July 11, 2022 04:19PM

I personally like cork. I've purchased the basic equipment to turn my own and custom turn to the diameter I want. To each his own. I've built rods on EVA, Carbon fiber and cork. Each has it's place, but if I am building for myself, it is cork.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 11, 2022 05:44PM

You are not doing anything out of the ordinary, anyone that has worked with glass, or composite blanks have been there, you're fine. 16mm exposed reel seats are made to 15mm, a standard 27mm (1.1") cork grip will be fine as will a lot of cork fore grips that will match any reel seat you choose to 20mm.
If you are not familar with reaming a full cork grip I would recommend a straight grip over a tapered one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2022 05:51PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: July 13, 2022 01:05AM

If you can't find a foregrip with the dimensions you seek, buy a 2nd rear grip and cut it into a foregrip. Shape it as you desire and hold onto the unused pieces, you need them again sometime.

Steve

Date: July 13, 2022 09:54AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are not doing anything out of the ordinary,
> anyone that has worked with glass, or composite
> blanks have been there, you're fine. 16mm exposed
> reel seats are made to 15mm, a standard 27mm
> (1.1") cork grip will be fine as will a lot of
> cork fore grips that will match any reel seat you
> choose to 20mm.
> If you are not familar with reaming a full cork
> grip I would recommend a straight grip over a
> tapered one.

Spencer....I am sure that any fore grip will be wide enough at the base to neatly sit on the end of the reel seat. My question is....will there be enough cork meat surrounding the blank after reaming out what is necessary. If a 1/4 inch or so around is adequate, I will be good. I was just wondering if this would NOT be adequate. Maybe it is no issue at all.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 13, 2022 12:56PM

You glue the cork on to the blank, it than becomes a part of the whole, an immovable object supported by the blank structure, I have rods with only 1/8 inch, or less cork grip on them, surf rods have grips made from thin cork tape, you'll be fine.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2022 01:08PM

Find the best cork you you get and don't look back.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: July 13, 2022 03:53PM

Thank you all for your replies. I feel good to go!

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2022 10:09PM

I,ve been using Mud Hole EVA for years and years and the only thing that became crusty was me..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster