I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps upgraded chuck installation
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 03:00PM

I currently have a Pacific Bay power wrapper with the plastic chuck and I would like to upgrade it to the Alps chuck. Any tips on installing it and making sure it's as straight as possible. I haven't picked up the chuck yet so if it's way easier then I'm expecting it to be sorry in advance. I've also ordered roller stands and a 4 thread carriage from AL Engling. Looking to build a much better wrapper then what I have now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps upgraded chuck installation
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 03:38PM

Tyler,
I am assuming that you are purchasing both the head stock and chuck for the upgrade. If so, one simply removes the original pac bay headstock and chuck. Then, one simply slides the new headstock and chuck in place, tightens it down and after installing the belt - you are set.

When I look at the original pac bay wrapper, it appears to me that that particular wrapper uses a plain shaft for the head stock shaft with a bored hole for the headstock. '

The alps headstock and chuck uses essentially a rebranded Taig headstock and chuck that has ball bearings with properly machined threads on the chuck end, and the chuck has properly machines threads, so that the chuck simply screws down tight on the headstock shaft and the chuck will run true.

As far as I know, I don't think that the alps chuck will fit onto the stock pac bay head stock shaft with the plastic chuck removed. But, forgive me if I am wrong.

Best wishes.

If this is what you are buying, you only have to be sure that your headstock mount is centered over the center of your power wrapper to be in line with your rod rests and the centerline of a straight rod chucked into the chuck needs to be exactly parallel with the centerline of your power wrapper.
[getbitoutdoors.com]

Best wishes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 05:19PM

Tyler,
Everything Roger mentioned is (as usual) correct.
Allow me to add:
Before removing the old tailstock, chuck-up a short (<6in) metal rod/ tube of some sort (the straighter = the better) in the upgraded headstock. Position the upgraded headstock pointing toward the old one and check the alignment to make certain both are the same height. This is not a precision metal lathe so they do not have to line-up precisely but, obviously, the closer = the better.
If you plan on doing ANY turning, purchase a matching tailstock with a live-center; it will prove to be invaluable!
Good luck! I’m sure you will love it. Let us know how it turns out.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2022 05:28PM

Really a great addition to your wrapper. I believe when I did it (I also have a PacBay wrapper) I had to drill two holes to mount it with 4 bolts. Bolt it down with the two that fit and make sure it is perfectly square, then mark center for the holes. Unmount the chuck and drill the new holes. When you re-mount the new chuck, leave the the bolts loose before tightening them. Make sure it is square and tighten them down all the way. You can use a lead pencil to mark the squareness at the front of the chuck on the base to use as a guide when you tighten it down. Your new set up sounds really cool.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2022 08:44PM

I also have a Pac Bay power wrapper that I upgraded with the Alps chuck. It was the best investment I ever made as far as my wrapping equipment goes. It was as easy as easy can get. I didn't have to drill any extra holes and the holes in the Alps chuck lined up perfectly with the holes that were drilled for the cheap plastic Pac Bay chuck.

As far as that plastic chuck goes, I understand wanting to keep cost to the consumer down, but man that thing was lacking in so many ways when compared to the Alps chuck.

You are going to love the Alps chuck.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: July 10, 2022 02:56PM

Thank you all for your feedback! Sounds like a straightforward upgrade. Planning on stopping by Get Bit and picking up the Alps chuck this Monday or Tuesday. And I should have my new roller stands and thread carriage early this coming week.

And thank you Mark for the tip about using a straight piece of metal rod to check the alignment between old and new. And I don't plan on using it for any turning as I had a friend of mine help me make a cork lathe with an old corded drill that I bring outside to turn cork and eva.

And yes I'm planning on buying the whole assembly like the one Roger posted the link to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster