I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Another ERN Question
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 28, 2022 01:44PM

Proclaiming a rod has "power" shows the triumph of advertising over common sense. Stating a rod has "power" is the fruit of endless marketing campaigns. Physical power is the product of force times distance. The only power any fish pole has is produced by the caster, not the pole - in precisely the same way that all the power in a shovel is provided by the shoveler. Bending a rod blank does not store energy and then release it in a cast. When you cast you release your line BEFORE your rod begins to straighten. A fish pole and a fish line can only pull a lure or sinker, not push it. As for "power" being the amount of resistance of a blank to deflection - isn't this identical to the "weight" of a rod? If not, why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2022 12:50PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 28, 2022 01:51PM

I wonder if the line and/or lure is ever pulled during a cast? I wonder what variables would effect the energy exerted in this theoretical pull?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2022 03:49PM

Phil,

You really just don't understand what is meant by rod "power." Think "stiffness" and you'll be on the right track and perhaps be able to clear some of your confusion regarding the term as it applies to fishing rods. The same term often has different meanings depending upon the particular subject and context in which it is being used.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 28, 2022 04:15PM

Tom, I went over the definition of fishing rod power yesterday in detail, and it had no effect. Then you did it again today. If it isn't understood by now, it's not going to be understood. But nice try.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 28, 2022 04:24PM

He understands what rod power, action, and frequency are. He’s playing stupid and just being his usual PITA. Just ignore him, please.
Norm

Date: July 28, 2022 04:52PM

I would suggest that Phil read a copy of Dr. Hanneman's "Fly Rod Expertise by the Numbers." It will answer every question he has posed including what, exactly, is a "soulful action." While somewhat tongue in cheek, it's on the mark as to where all the marketing jargon comes from and how it is arrived at. Maybe that will satisfy him.

Date: July 28, 2022 07:28PM

Tom: I understand that the stiffness of a rod blank influences the effective length of the blank and thus the distance of the cast. The more the blank bends during the cast the shorter the distance between the caster's hand and the tip-top, and the lower the velocity of the rod tip, line, and lure or bait. The mechanics of a type-1 lever (like a fish pole) has long been known. Longer distance between caster's hand (fulcrum) and tip of rod creates more speed at rod tip. The more the rod tip bends back toward the caster's hand the shorter the effective length of the rod (lever), and the slower the line speed, and the shorter the cast. I look forward to reading Fly Rod Expertise By the Numbers". Thanks for the tip.

Date: July 28, 2022 08:46PM

Phil,

I am not talking about casting. No one here is. We are talking about rod power/stiffness. It is an inherent characteristic of any rod and you can measure it.

Date: July 29, 2022 04:47PM

Thanks, Tom. I can easily see the benefit in measuring a rod's stiffness - resistance to deflection. The stiffer the blank the longer the effective length of the rod during the cast and the more leverage/speed the rod is capable of generating. But stiffness [resistance to bending] is NOT power, which is calculated by weight, distance, and time. Conflating these terms in buyers' minds makes rod advertisers and retailers rich and would be casters discouraged and low on cash. All the power in the cast of a fishing rod comes from the caster, not a drop from his his cold, dead equipment. Forgive my persistence, but I hate to see advertisers sell anglers a bill of goods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 29, 2022 05:00PM

Phil, read the glossary definition. And stop whining about advertisers.

Date: July 29, 2022 06:04PM

Phil,

You're not grasping the concept of what we're talking about here.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2022 06:13PM

Phil, your grip is not with advertisers, They are just hired help. it,s the company owners that pay them to make up this nonsense..go after the big dog not the hired help if you got the nerve..lol.

Date: July 30, 2022 09:05AM

If you are interested in a rod's performance more than its looks, especially in the case of fly rods, WHERE a rod bends is more important than HOW MUCH it bends.

Date: July 30, 2022 10:47AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are interested in a rod's performance more
> than its looks, especially in the case of fly
> rods, WHERE a rod bends is more important than HOW
> MUCH it bends.

And the AA measurement covers that.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2022 06:51AM

Phil, you saying a rod has no power of it,s own.. I build what I call a bow and arrow rod where I just pull back the lure to put bend or bow in the rod , then release the lure which is shot by the rod up to sixty feet..I supplied the potential energy and the rod suppliec the power..The more I flex the rod the more energy it stores to shoot the lure..If I used a stiffer rod it would have more power..Aha, he,s thinking..If I look south towards Florida I can see the smoke..lol.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2022 08:48AM by ben belote.

Date: August 05, 2022 10:27AM

Everyone who switches to bow-and-arrow casting should use the blank you use to cast 60 feet! I have never managed to bow-and-arrow cast much farther than twenty feet. Please share the make and model of the rod blank you used, and the weight of the plug that sailed off sixty feet!

Date: August 05, 2022 10:54AM

No problem..the blank is a CRB 61/2' long cut back to 5' light power e fiberglass rod from Mudhole..I use 10# Power Pro line on a size 1000 reel spinning..shooting a 1/4 oz.rattle trap with the shot removed, no hooks when practice shooting..I think that covers it..I strongly suggest you practice to get timing down between lure release and line release...Good luck Phil..Just adding..instead of tying to the back of the rattletrap try tying to the tail end hook holder when practicing , I fish this lure alot in farm ponds and do not use a tail hook just a belly hook for safety..lol..It is a good idea to start with mono line which will help with timing then move on to braid later which will give you the most distance..also I wear a hoody..lol..Watch out for those hooks! You may want to crush the Barb's. By the way Phil, the guide train I use is not the designed for distance but for hook setting power but it still gets sixty feet..I do not recommend shooting lures like this and on!y use it because I don,t have room for a regular type cast..I do not shoot cast otherwise..I almost forgot, a shooting rod like this can be built for less than $50..Less than $40 if you use EVA and CRB guides.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2022 01:59PM by ben belote.

Date: August 06, 2022 04:53PM

I wish I had known this when I was fishing trout streams with lots of cover over and around them! I always went with a longer rod and dapped the bait or lure. . . Now I fish the salt.

Date: August 06, 2022 06:14PM

And you use a fly rod..fly line is too heavy to shoot

Date: August 11, 2022 11:15AM

It's clear that longer bow-and-arrow casts are a boon for older spinning rod anglers with bad shoulders! Rod blank marketers are ignoring a large (and well-off) group of spin-rod buyers/anglers. Advertisers should boldly state the bow-and-arrow cast distances which their products can achieve. Rod power does play a part in casting distance here - the WHOLE part!

Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster