I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to size tip top?
Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: July 07, 2022 07:24PM

Hi all,
Once again I am reaching out for help.
I am building on NF SB683 blank, tip top. 4.5.
Blank O.D. 1.6mm.
I will use 4.5 Fuji TORZITE Titanium T2-KTTG running guides.

Should I use 4.5f- 1.8mm tip top pipe size or 1.6mm will be enough? or should I go with 4F or 5F tip top and 1.8mm or 1.6 mm pipe?
Is there "tip top" general rule you all use?
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2022 07:25PM by Dee Rama.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to size tip top?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 07, 2022 07:57PM

The one that fits snugly without having to force it gets my vote everytime, don't overthink the little stuff.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 07, 2022 11:07PM

^^ What he said.

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> don't overthink the little stuff.

...all things are little.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 07, 2022 11:32PM

Yeah, I figured it'll be the best course of action. The problem I have is that I don't have a bunch of tip tops laying around(first build). I thought there are some tip top rules and regulations you follow:).
I guess I'm going to learn this one the hard way.
Thanks.

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: July 07, 2022 11:49PM

You need to buy a sizing guide for tip tops. This will allow you to accurately measure the blank and buy the correct size all the time. It has been my experience to order a tip top a half size bigger than the blank measures, it works best for me. The specs for your blank state the tip measurement at 4.5, I would buy a 4.5 (1.8mm) tube tip top.

Steve

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 12:02AM

The NFC catalog says it should be fitted with a size 4.5 tip top. In other words, the tube size of the tip top should be 4.5/64”. Tip top sizes are commonly measured in 64 ths of an inch, this is how most tip tops are sold in the US. The ring size of the the tip top is measured in millimeters, and usually the tip top ring is the same size as the running guides, in your case that is 4.5 mm. Some people like to up the ring size a little, so a size 5 mm ring would also be fine. I like to keep the ring size of the tip the same size as the runners, but that’s your choice. I would order a tip top having 4.5mm ring with a 4.5/64” tube.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 08, 2022 12:38AM

Dee
If you continue with the craft I assure you that over time you will have an ample supply of various tip tops for projects, repairs etc.

Tip tops are no different than reel seats, arbors, grips, butt caps, one prepares them to fit snug and then bonds them together.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 12:49AM

Dee,
While most blank manufacturers supply accurate tip (and butt) measurements, do not rely on it each and every time!!! If ordering the blank and tip top from the same vendor, ask them to “size” the tip top to the actual blank; most will gladly do it for you. If they will not accommodate you = find a different vendor who will.
There is nothing wrong with Steve’s suggestion of ordering a tip top a ½ size (.008in) larger = certainly better than the tip top being a ½ size (or even .001in) too small!!! In the end, you do NOT want the tip top too snug = some difference in diameter is desirable to allow the adhesive (hot melt or epoxy) to easily flow entirely around the joint.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 08, 2022 01:05AM

Can't wait for all the parts to arrive so I can start building.
Thanks a lot.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 12:03PM

Buy a measuring guide:

[mudhole.com]

First check the size of the tip by inserting the tip of the rod into the various holes until you find one that matches.

Then, order a tip top that matches what you just measured.

Especially with these days of micro - I will generally use a tip top that is at least one size larger than the rest of the guides. I just find that for myself, the use of a slightly larger tip top helps to pass knots and minimize issues for myself.

Others use the same size tip top as indicted by the measuring gauge.

Best wishes

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 12:52PM

I can certainly understand Dee’s dilemma about tip top size. I m sure he wants to have all the components in hand and to start building the rod as soon as it arrives. Some problems with this are: First, NFC does not sell guides or tip tops, so you can’t ask them to fit a tip top for you. Second, the rod is not yet in hand, so one is forced to trust the tip top size given in the catalog. If you don’t trust the tip top size given bu NFC then you have to either buy two tip tops, or one that is a size larger, or wait until the blank arrives before buying the tip top. Third, buying the tip top first is that the Fiji Titanium Torzite KG tip top costs more than $26 ea, making it an expensive proposition to buy extra tip tops, or buy the wrong size. So probably the best thing to do is to wait until after the blank arrives, so the right size tip top can be purchased. This may delay building, but not by much.
Norm

Posted by: Ivan Hartavel (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 01:53PM

What Norm said. The best way is to wait till you have the blank in hand and go from there. And if your guides are 4.5 I would go with 4.5 or 4 for the ring size. It looks better if the tip top is same size or smaller

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 08, 2022 02:00PM

Right on, Norman Miller. Very insightful and helpful post.

Date: July 08, 2022 05:49PM

blanks are on hands. couldn't pass on buy 1 get 2 free offer. tip measure came at 1.6mm
Thanks

Date: July 08, 2022 05:49PM

blanks are on hands. couldn't pass on buy 1 get 2 free offer. tip measure came at 1.6mm
Thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 01:09AM

NFC has been talking about a store front with components in the new place for some time, we can only hope. I don't think Fuji would be their first choice to sell however.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 03:26PM

Dee,
Just curious as to why you select the use of Torzite guides.

Yes, they are one of the most expensive guides on the market, but what else do they have.

If you compare the casting distance between rod set up with torzite guides compared to say - pac bay minima steel guides, I doubt very much that you would find any difference.

If you compare durability with all of the guides - except for the tip top - I would expect that you would find any difference.

Yes, I do think that I gip top with a ceramic or other similar material liner does give more durability.

Just wondering.

Best wishes

Date: July 09, 2022 07:05PM

Roger,
I am going for the build below 3 oz total weight.
My lightest finesse big brand rod seats at 3.17 oz.
I know it not much of the difference but I am trying to push it as low as possible.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2022 11:33PM by Dee Rama.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster