I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: species specific rods
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 08, 2022 06:14PM

Maybe lure specific rods would make for a better thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 08, 2022 07:11PM

In many cases the series of rods is species specific with each model labeled for a given presentation/lure.

I personally think St Croix does a pretty darn good job with their recommendations. There are other not exactly custom, but definitely not mass produced, manufactures that put a lot of time into developing rods for specific techniques. Alpha Angler is a company that works directly with professional bass fisherman. They also have had some social media stuff to explain some of their design process that it is pretty good stuff.

Of course, even when you get the rod a pro uses for a given technique, it is just his opinion.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 08, 2022 10:31PM

lol..."doodle socking"....never heard that term used for a crappie hog stick before... a new name to put on one of my decals..seems the original post has swayed from rod builders to rod manufacturers which I know nothing about since I started building my own...Like Tom says "a blank is a blank is a blank"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 01:23AM

Kent,
I'm willing to bet a bunch of those short, light powered rods some of the waders love are in the walleye short light jigging rod blank wheelhouse. I used to use to old pre-2000 catalogs to select many of my rod blanks because they listed the many species they thought that rod/blanks could be effectively used on. Species specific in reverse.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2022 03:40AM

lol Steven. I laughed when I first read it all those years ago. A year or so ago I was watching a Youtube video of an interview with Dee Thomas. While he didn't call it doodle socking, he talked about bass anglers cleaning up in tournaments using a crappie fisherman technique using long rods and dipping baits into holes in cover. Evidently other competitors were complaining because of people using that technique, so BASS came to him asking about a rod length restriction. If I remember right he suggested 8', and the flipping presentation was born out of that restriction.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 09, 2022 07:55AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol Steven. I laughed when I first read it all
> those years ago. A year or so ago I was watching a
> Youtube video of an interview with Dee Thomas.
> While he didn't call it doodle socking, he talked
> about bass anglers cleaning up in tournaments
> using a crappie fisherman technique using long
> rods and dipping baits into holes in cover.
> Evidently other competitors were complaining
> because of people using that technique, so BASS
> came to him asking about a rod length restriction.
> If I remember right he suggested 8', and the
> flipping presentation was born out of that
> restriction.
Thats interesting. My Doodle Socking rods have caught a lot of bass by accident for sure.. definitely going to have to use that term on one of my decals...lol

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 09:59AM

David Baylor Wrote:

> ....an interview with Dee Thomas.
> While he didn't call it doodle socking,

I just watched a video on doodle socking and it appears to be about the same thing as jigger pole fishing?

This video with Ray Scott lists both techniques in the video title and infers they are one and the same thing? Only difference being a cultural difference in what it is called? [youtu.be]

In the following video of Lynyrd Skynyrd, this film was shot on Doctor's Lake off the St. Johns River in Orange Park, Florida near his then home on Brickyard Road a month or two prior to his death in the plane crash 1977. As the film opens up you can clearly see the lead singer of the band, Ronnie Van Zant using a jigger pole to fish for bass. Is this also the same as doodle socking? I'm not familiar with this term in Florida, but we are familiar with jigger pole fishing. [youtu.be]

Another curiosity- who made the first flipping rods?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2022 10:03AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2022 10:38AM

Fenwick made the first flipping rods that I recall of fiberglass back in the 60s..

Date: July 09, 2022 12:20PM

You can call it whatever you want ..... it's using a long rod to dip a bait into cover. It's not species specific, it's technique specific

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 12:50PM

One things for sure. You never want to use your doodler in heavy cover for bass.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2022 04:37PM

The profusion of names for specific rod builds for specific species zooms upward. My guppy rod is an example.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 09, 2022 06:15PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fenwick made the first flipping rods that I recall
> of fiberglass back in the 60s..

Wow. OK. That goes back further than I was expecting. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2022 09:02PM by Kent Griffith.

Date: July 09, 2022 09:03PM

I definitely agree Mark. I sure wouldn't want to try pulling a fish vertically out of heavy cover with that long of a rod. Probably end up hurting myself. With that said, I have doodled bass out of heavy cover with my flipping and pitching rods a few times. It's definitely exciting.

Doodling is also a deep water technique that I learned about at a Bass University seminar I attended years ago. Rich Tauber was the presenter. It involved using a brass bullet weight with a glass ball as a ticker and shaking the bait in place vertically under the boat. I tried it a few times back then and caught some smallmouth out of deep water. I've since switched to a drop shot for that type of fishing, but the whole doodle socking thing has me wanting to try it again if I can't get the fish to hit a drop shot.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 10, 2022 08:25PM

Any time you get into an argument with a fish in heavy cover, just keep the entire rod pointed directly at the fish.

Then, simply reel and use your upper arm, forearm and elbow to literally hoist the fish out of the cover.

Since the rod is pointed directly at the fish you are placing essentially 0 force on the rod - only on the reel and your body.

But, if folks are using unusual rods that are too light, too heavy, too short or too long - take the rod out of the equation and essentially hand the line back to your location.

Best wishes

Especially if dealing with novices when fishing from shore. I simply tell the person who is fishing to keep the line tight and when the fish gets close to the shore, simply stop reeling and simply walk backward with the tip pointed up at 45 degrees to keep the line tight and continue walking until the flopping fish is well away from the water. Then, there is no excess stress on the rod, on the reel and the fisherpersons body. Let your feet do the walking to simply walk the fish ashore. This technique works particularly well if the shore is a sandy non rocky shore.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2022 10:44PM

My brother in-law in Wisconsin has a rod he uses for walleyes, In FL I have a rod I use for bass. When he visits me, his walleye rod becomes a bass rod and when I visit him, my bass rod becomes a walleye rod.

It is amazing how these rods morph or transform depending on location and specie. HOW do they know?

By the way Phil, does your guppy rod come with a video?

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 15, 2022 10:57AM

My videos require a wide-screen projector with a zoom lens. Otherwise, you might mistake my species-specific rod for an ordinary fishing pole.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 18, 2022 03:06PM

G Loomis since the 90's has built multiple species of rods on the same blanks. A hotshot blank will also be seen in their walleye section for Lindy Rigging or other trolling needs with crankbaits. Their Hot Shot, Mag Bass, and SJ blanks can be found painted green for their Green Water series. Their catalogs had a alphabetic system behind the rods description that when you referenced the letters and the bottom of the page you could see what other species they thought that rod would crossover into.
I see no reason why some of those short, light powered SJ blanks used walleye 1/8 oz. jig fishing wouldn't be effective for those Texas waders that like the short rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 03:13PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2022 12:45PM

Fishing is an act of faith. The physical properties of blanks is not. Their physical properties do not depend upon the names marketers/advertisers give them.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 20, 2022 01:51PM

Marketers of fishing rods or blanks would do anglers and rod builders a great favor by specifying the attributes of specific blanks with measurements and numbers which distinguish the physical attributes of a blank rather than suggest which species of fish you should fish for with this blank!!. Specifying the target species or fishing technique for a blank will sell more blanks but won't improve fishing success.
There are tens of thousands of fish species and thousands of of fishing techniques, and tackle builders/retailers will gladly sell you a "different" blank or a rod for every one of them, especially blanks for suckers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2022 02:48PM

Phil,

They already offer those specs.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster