I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guide Sizing
Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-249-252.myvzw.com)
Date: July 03, 2022 09:09AM

Greetings.

I am not a fly fisherman, well at least not since I was a young lad. I was talking to my college buddy and he has been doing some fly fishing trips and having fun and talking about the fly rods he was using..
(This was for Freshwater, trout mostly)

I thought with the NFC sale going on I would be a few fly rod blanks and build myself some rods so that I could maybe go with him next time..

I got the Gamma Alpha Fly Rod Blanks.. in 4,5,6 wt.

I looked at the Rod Maker Article about only using 3 Guide Sizes.

Looking at the Flex Coat Guide Spacing/Sizing.. it looks like for 4-6 wt rods you use the same size Guides for the runners

Could I use Fuji KW12, KW8, and a Fuji Arowana 6, Seaguide TiXmg size 6 Runners for all the various wt rods? Other option would be snakes in Size 1.

Thanks

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guide Sizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2022 01:47PM

Yes, you could do that and it'll work fine. But why the two style #6's? Just go right on to the 6's all the same type.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: July 03, 2022 05:02PM

Sorry. I wasn't very clear. I will use the Fuji Titanium #6 Arowana tip top. And Seaguide Tixmg #6 running guides since Fuji doesn't seem to make titanium fly style ceramic running guide's

Date: July 03, 2022 07:28PM

Unless something has changed, Fuji has offered small, low frame, single foot titanium SIC guides for many years.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 04, 2022 01:16PM

Both the KB and KT guides come in Ti, if you prefer the L frame style you may still find some TLSG guides at some of the smaller dealers. Try Angler's Workshop.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 04, 2022 01:32PM

Fuji stopped making L guides with a titanium frame. L guides are still available with stainless steel frames. So with the lack of titanium L guides, the SeaGuide titanium TiXMG guides are a suitable substitute.
Norm

Date: July 04, 2022 03:11PM

Are Fuji KT running guides appropriate for fly rods? I was assuming they weren't, maybe I was wrong in that assumption.

Thanks Norm.

Date: July 04, 2022 03:12PM

The Fuji KT guides will work fine on a fly rod.

Date: July 04, 2022 03:19PM

Thanks Tom.

I guess it proves one shouldn't just make assumptions.

Date: July 04, 2022 07:03PM

Remember that a rod is a rod is a rod. The line has no idea how the guide is shaped. A guide ring is a guide ring. So just think about what the item has to do and decide if it'll do that. Some guides will work better for some things than others but these are generally specialty guides made for particular applications.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 05, 2022 05:03PM

Why put ceramic guides on a fly rod? Fly lines don't groove guides.

Date: July 05, 2022 10:09PM

Because they're quieter and play out line more smoothly under load. Your fly line will also last longer.

And yes, fly lines do groove guides, to an extreme.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 06, 2022 09:10AM

There is a considerable difference in flexibility between different types of fly line, say, between a full floating line and a fast sinking line. It would be no surprise to learn that different size guides work better for different types of fly lines. Also, the best fly lines and guides for the Salmon River in December are not the best fly lines and guides for the Mosquito Lagoon in July - and these differences will influence the best choice of guides.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2022 06:28PM

Phil, there is an algae in all lakes, rivers and oceans called diatoms..they are coated in silica or glass..they coat our fishing lines, not just on the surface but into the line and are very abrasive..they cut all metals but not ceramics..they turn our lines into files,.Google it..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 07, 2022 12:00PM

Ben, those diatoms are the reason I never put any goo, grease, wax, or line dressing on my lines. Years ago (when I put line dressing/goo/grease on my fly lines) guide grooving was a problem for me. Not any more. Both my guides and my fly lines last much longer - and my casts are longer too.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2022 09:26AM

Thanks Phil..

Posted by: Al Jones (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 15, 2022 08:55PM

I did just notice on my 10 wt I've only fished a few months the rec tip ring is already grooved noticeably. Yeah I've fished a few spots where the line got a little dirty but if that's the type of fishing I do I might need to consider ceramics.
[ibb.co]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2022 09:28PM by Al Jones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster