I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank and Guide Reccomendations
Posted by: Landon Moore (74.120.6.---)
Date: July 02, 2022 08:17AM

Recently broke my Walleye jig rod and looking to build a new one. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations/experience with a build on an NFC X-ray blank that is cut down to 6’3” or 6’4” but hoping to end up with a ML XF or M XF type action. I will use the rod almost entirely for vertical jigging walleye with 1/8-3/8 oz jigs. I use this on our Canada trip, so it will frequently tangle with walleye as big as 30+ inches.

Also curious if anyone can recommend a guide train that sticks out above the rest. I used Pac Bay minima guides on the rod I broke and liked them, but not sure if there is better out there. Trying to find the best combo of durable but very low weight.

Thanks all for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank and Guide Reccomendations
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 02, 2022 12:56PM

I like my SB-683-1 Xray for vertical jigging Walleyes in the Mississippi River. I never cut it down though. Pac Bay Minimas are my go to guides. I recently purchased the SJ 703 and may cut it down to 6' 6".
Steve

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 01:34PM

When you cut a blank from the butt you will slow the action (lower the AA) and decrease the power (IP) of the blank. So the more you cut the slower and less powerful the rod becomes. So you need to know exactly what you are doing to get what you want when trimming. You might be better off getting a 6’ 6” Blank and only take 2” off, or getting a 6’ Blank and extend it 3” or 4”.
I prefer a KR guide concept setup. You can use Fuji KR (KL-H, and KR/KT) spinning guides, or PacBay Minima (M and F) guides, or SeaGuide (XOHG and XOG) guides or SeaGuide (HLG and MKG) guides. They all work well.
Norm

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 02:00PM

Fuji KR.

SIC guides are more brittle and easier to break. A simple drop or twist of guide frame can do them in.

ADDED: Some real world search info found on numerous forums about how brittle SIC guides are.

[www.stripersonline.com]

SiC Guides Breaking Easily???????

I've got some ugly sticks that i've literally run over and the rings stay put. These crack/break seem to break waaaaaaay too easily.

[www.bdoutdoors.com]

today I was cleaning my favorite custom Gloomis saltwater rod and acidentally dropped it. Just once, soft drop :(
Guess what damages it caused... The ring inside of tip broke into pieces and two of the guides are cracked. Yes, they are FAMOUSE SIC guides. I thought they are supposed to be the strongest guides available on the mark. arggggg... well I should have gone with alconite guides.

[www.ifish.net]

Issues with brittle guides from factory rod.

[www.360tuna.com]

Ti frames are nice for their light weight and corrosion resistance. But IMO the issue is that Ti is Too Flexible for heavy applications... The problem is that SIC is extremely brittle. It will chip and crack with Very little coercion... So a frame that flexes (even a little) is a Really, Really, Bad thing."

And because of this brittle issue is why this is being brought up because the OP asked this: "Trying to find the best combo of durable but very low weight." And he added this detail as well: "Recently broke my Walleye jig rod..." which adds up to deserving a warning about SIC guides and how easy they are to break and crack.

Key words "durable" and "recently broke." This comment is to provide accurate information so they can make the best choices for themselves, and not regret anything down the road like the search info above clearly shows he might want to avoid if durable is important.

Weight is not going to be an issue because if SIC guides are slightly less in weight, the difference would be virtually imperceptible on the finished build compared to non-SIC guides.

KR guides! Norm knows best!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 05:38PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2022 04:40PM

I've never broken a SIC guide.

One thing you can do if you plan to cut a blank is to measure the CCS numbers with the blank in its normal position, then position the blank with the intended butt position at the lower support point. Make sure to adjust the distance between the supports and also the new 33% deflection number.

Or you can also simulate it by putting the reel seat up where it would be with the shortened blank. Both are worth a try. You can only cut once.

I have never had a need to cut a blank since there are thousands of choices out there. I've always found a blank that fit my needs without cutting.

I agree with Norman on Fuji guides. I use the KR software with either 20KLH 10KLH 5.5M or 16KLH 8KLH 5.5M then a couple KB's then KT's to the end. Mostly size 4's, but be sure of your knot if using braid + leader before going that small. I don't even test cast any more and the rods always cast and fish well.

Posted by: Landon Moore (74.120.6.---)
Date: July 02, 2022 08:37PM

Fuji KRs by a like it seems, thanks everyone for the help!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 09:17PM

Michae is correct about suitable blank choices being out there. For example, both the Rainshadow Revelation and Immortal series have 6’2” blanks that may work very well. In addition, MHX has some 6’3” blanks in both their Elite X and Mag XF series. These are all extremely nice blanks.

Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 03, 2022 10:44AM

Is there any hard evidence that ceramic guides perform better than carbide or chromed guides? Hard evidence comes in inches, feet, and yards - not vague, undocumented personal claims. I would like to see what all the fuss about guides boils down to - in reality.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 03, 2022 10:47AM

Run your own tests, Phil. You won't believe anyone else anyway.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: July 03, 2022 12:06PM

As Norm said there are lots of suitable blanks out there. I've built several rods with the Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF 6'2" walleye blank. I use them for a different purpose but they're extremely sensitive. I use either minima or Mudhole SSR guides with a ceramic tip top.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 03, 2022 06:03PM

The MHX MB752XF is one of my favorite walleye blanks. The Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF is very similar in action and power. Really a matter of color preference picking between the two.

I have been using Seaguide guides with Adaman coating lately. HLG for reduction, MKG for runners and a ceramic ring top. Makes for a really light build. HLGs and MKGs are now available in gunsmoke and silver in addition to black.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 03, 2022 09:00PM

Michael: I ask questions about prospective product purchases BEFORE I buy a product - and found I have purchased a lemon. This cautionary purchasing procedure works well for me. I don't trust advertisers' claims and double-talk, so I seek the opinion of knowledgeable rod builders rather than buy now and regret later. You need not reply to my requests for opinions (or better yet, experience) with specific rod building components. But if doing so pleases you . . . go ahead!

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: July 04, 2022 12:29PM

just put a book under your arm and pinch the line but remember you can't push a rope, no matter which guides you use.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 04, 2022 12:59PM

I'm with Mr. Danek, I passed on a few Berkeley Series One rods that came with SiC's from back in the 80's, I never had any guide failures and neither has the young gentleman that I passed the rods on to.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 04, 2022 05:57PM

I use SIC tips and Pac Bay Minima guides and never had any issues. I do mainly fresh water fishing.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: July 07, 2022 11:20AM

Another vote for the KR concept guide train. I like 4.5 for the running guides most of the time and have also used size 5. For vertical jigging I'd argue that just about any light, sensitive fast action blank will do well. NFC has some great options. The thing I want to mention is their soft-touch carbon handles. Consider the KSS grip with soft touch carbon handle in front of the reel seat and the SKSS16/ASH nut behind it. You'll have the most sensitive and comfortable handle on the planet in my opinion. They're coming out with a hidden hood soft touch nut cover for the KSKSS16 nut at the end of the year if you can wait. I think that will be even better than the SKSS16/ASH nut (which is darn good and comfortable).

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2022 09:28AM

Landon -

Where do you fish in Canada? I just returned from a trip to North Central Ontario where we caught lots of Lake Trout vertically jigging spoons.

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2022 08:53PM

Who even mentioned sic guides, or was this just a friendly warning? Please disregard this post as many days late and several $ short. I was actually in Canada when the original post was made and got caught up in the post jumps to the top thing. That and the fact that I didn't thoroughly read the Sic post!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2022 05:33PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 01, 2022 07:41PM

Rainshadow ETES62M-SS will get it done.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: September 01, 2022 10:02PM

SB -683 is very nice. It was my first build with Fuji KR titanium, ended up being a bit less then 2.8oz. Very sensitive, I had people aking me where I get it from and why it cast so far. I am able to feel bites of fish as little as 4 inches long in size on 10 lb braid. with 14 lb rating it can do a lot. SJ 703 is also nice, being ML it is a bit slower; might be better for jigging. If you have resources get them both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2022 11:07PM by Dee Rama.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster