I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help me find the blank, please.
Posted by: Dee Rama (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 01, 2022 03:26PM

Hi all,

I am looking for 10 ft, 2 pieces blank, up to 25 lb line rating, 1,25 oz max lure rating, medium/ light, fast to ex.fast, up to 2.6 oz weight.
or 9ft blank with simular specs.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help me find the blank, please.
Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: July 01, 2022 03:47PM

I would look at NFC and look at the Salmon blanks. Should be one about this rating.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.oakpure.com)
Date: July 01, 2022 04:05PM

Dee
Look at the CTS Jet Stream
Max lure rating 1.24 Oz, 10', 2 pc. Line rate 22#.
Contact me for RB.org price
Herb
CTS U.S. Rep

Date: July 01, 2022 04:33PM

NFC does not have a lot to choose from in 9-10 ft range.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 05:25PM

I don’t make a lot of 10’ rods, but make a lot of 9 footers.
I have the 9’ version of the CTS Jet Stream which Herb mentioned above. An extremely nice blank, picked it up at the Expo a few years back.
Look at MHX steelhead and salmon blanks, as well as the Rainshadow Revelation steelhead and salmon blanks. I have used both over the years and they are both very nice. I’m sure they will have something you will like. I make them to be used as light surf rods, as well as spillway rods. They both work great.
Finally look at Lamiglas they also make some nice Steelhead and Salmon Rods. I have a Kenai special that I still use. However, It may be more powerful than you want.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 02, 2022 06:18AM

If I am reading this right, you are looking for a 10' blank with the specs you listed, that weights a max of 2.6 oz?

Date: July 02, 2022 10:05AM

yes. I broke my Lunamis 10ML. Love this rod. Lunamis weight 4.72 oz. I figured 2 oz - parts, 2.6 oz blank give or take. Hopefully I can rebuild.
thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 11:22AM by Dee Rama.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2022 12:11PM

Dee - Don’t know where you were looking but NFC has several steelhead blanks which may fit your needs. For example, ST964-2, ST904-2, ST905-2, and maybe even the ST10O4-2, and there may also be others. All are lighter than 2.7 oz especially the HM version, and all will cast above their lure wgt designation. One company’s ML designation may be another company’s L , or M, or even MH rating. One of the reasons why CCS came into existence for comparing rod blanks. So don’t use these subjective designation to choose a blank, you basically have to make an educated guess as to what you want unless you have CCS data for the blank you want.
Norm

Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 01:28PM

Norman- I am new to rod building. My guess is as good as coin flip. I am in research phase now. This is why I ask for help. One thing I know, I can't buy brand rods any more. Time is now to start building as it become an addiction.You are right about rod power designations. I shouldn't stick with ML rating.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 01:31PM by Dee Rama.

Re: help me find the blank, please
Date: July 02, 2022 01:54PM

My guess would also be a coin flip without more objective data. However, I’ve been building rods for over fifty years so I have a lot of experience with a lot of different rods and thus can make an educated guess, but I still wouldn’t know until I had the blank in hand. Having never handled a Shimano Lunamis, I have no idea of its action or power. Reading its description online it’s described as a sea bass rod which sounds very much like a steelhead rod to me. That’s the reason I pointed you in that direction. Maybe someone here has handled a Lunamis rod before and can give more insight.

Date: July 02, 2022 08:25PM

Norman- Whould you like to take a look at it? I can ship it out to you with return label. It is one foot short, not sure if it possible to make determination... Worst case scenario you learn something new...:) This was a joke, I am sure a man with 50 years of experience is hard to impress. Anyways let me know that you think.

I'll order blanks you have mentioned to see if it anywhere close to Lunamis. If not, I will make last exception and buy brand rod again.

Date: July 02, 2022 09:03PM

Have you checked to see if there is a warranty on your rod? You might be able to get a replacement for a small replacement fee. It’s certainly worth a try. After all it was a fairly high end rod. If not, it may be possible to repair the rod. If you broke 12” off the tip section it was probably caused by high sticking, a very common type of break. If Shimano won’t replace the rod, I’d be more than happy to look at it, might even be able to repair it. It seems a shame to relegate it to the broken rod pile. At the very worst you may be able to salvage most of the components for future use.
As far as the Lunamis description is concerned, it really sounds like a steelhead rod blank will make a suitable substitute.
Norm

Date: July 02, 2022 10:02PM

Yeah.., no it was stupid mistake I made, It fell heavily and hit rocks, I pulled on the line with no drag and it snapped. I imported it from Japan. Shimano does not offer it to USA market. It'll be cheaper to salvage it for parts if anything. I'll reach out to supplier in Japan to see if it is possible to warranty it, but I doubt all associated cost will make it financially sound to replace it.
I was thinking to possibly rebuild/replace upper half of the rod but again this is a no man's land for me. I won't be able to match it. For me it is easier to start from the scratch and try to build new rod.

Lunamis is one of the best rods I held in my hands but again... I did not held a lot of rods in my hands. I am sure there are better weapons out there. I don't get sentimental about the things but this one makes me sad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster