I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The do all blank
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 02:23PM

Got a friend that shore fishes bass, cats, pike, pan fish. Doesn’t catch anything big, just the normal run of the day fish. He wants me to make him a rod that he can do it all with. I told him good luck! He said to “do your best”. So, what would you recommend for a do all rod in the 6-6 1/2’ length range? I was thinking maybe a medium light power?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The do all blank
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 03:42PM

David,
You were certainly correct in telling your friend / customer “good luck”. A “do all” rod will not perform any specific task optimally. But then, your friend’s acceptance reply of “do your best”, takes you off the hook (pun intended). When one really gets down to it, virtually ANY rod can catch virtually ANY fish but catching a crappie with a tuna stick is not much fun and inversely catching a tuna on an UL would require some serious angling skills!
That being said, understood and accepted by your friend, your thought of a med light power rod is probably good, something in the 4 - 10lb range. Fast - med / fast action. Seriously consider FG over CF; FG tends to be more full-flexing to make the pan fish fight more fun while tougher for the larger cats and pike. Just my thoughts but I’ll be following your post to see what others (who dare to dive into the realm of “iffy”) have to offer.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 01, 2022 04:26PM

If I had to choose only one rod to fish freshwater where I live in central AL, I would pick a SJ703 (ML-F) spinning. Aside from pike I have caught all those fish on it. I even hauled in a 7lb White Buffalo carp fishing a 1/10oz ned rig. I can fish shallow and weedles with a weedless ned or wacky worm. I use it for underspins with small swimbaits for Alabama spotted bass. It is also my go to for small jerkbaits like the X-75 and X-80 trick darter. Not the perfection we all chase for everything, but I tend to have the most fun fishing light with this rod in my hands.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 01, 2022 05:28PM

Good luck is right But my fishing habits tend to align with your friends.SO..

I would check out the Mud Hole CRB IS701ML or the MHX SJ782-MBP they are very durable and inexpensive. I use them and recommend them.

The CRB IS701ML is 7ft but can be trimmed down to 6 1/2 ft. from the butt.

Date: July 01, 2022 06:17PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David,
> You were certainly correct in telling your friend
> / customer “good luck”. A “do all” rod
> will not perform any specific task optimally. But
> then, your friend’s acceptance reply of “do
> your best”, takes you off the hook (pun
> intended). When one really gets down to it,
> virtually ANY rod can catch virtually ANY fish but
> catching a crappie with a tuna stick is not much
> fun and inversely catching a tuna on an UL would
> require some serious angling skills!
> That being said, understood and accepted by your
> friend, your thought of a med light power rod is
> probably good, something in the 4 - 10lb range.
> Fast - med / fast action. Seriously consider FG
> over CF; FG tends to be more full-flexing to make
> the pan fish fight more fun while tougher for the
> larger cats and pike. Just my thoughts but I’ll
> be following your post to see what others (who
> dare to dive into the realm of “iffy”) have to
> offer.

Hi Mark,
Sorry for my ignorance but what is FG and CF?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2022 06:24PM

What is a "medium light" power?

At the time, the G.Loomis MB 783 (6'6") or MB 843 (7') turned out to be extremely good all-around freshwater rod blanks. 3/16th to 3/4 ounce lures. Not too light and not too heavy. Extremely versatile and excellent for all-around bass fishing. Find a blank that matches those specs and you'll do about as well as you can.

The same rod that fishes great for panfish isn't likely to fish well for Pike and Cats, and vice versa. There is no rod that can do everything well in such a wide spectrum. Maybe you can push your customer into buying two rods.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 06:51PM

David,
You are not ignorant but simply uninformed. FG = fiberglass, CF = carbon fiber.
I totally agree with Tom = convince your friend to have you build him 2 rods; a 2-6lb UL (ultralight) and a bit heavier 6-10 or possibly an 8-12lb rod = combined, they will suit the species sought much better than 1 “do all (sort of)” rod. Furthermore, you will get twice the building experience = sounds like a win, win to me!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 01, 2022 06:53PM

Thanks everyone, I will see what I can do to get him to do two rods, but doubtful

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 08:45PM

I would tend to lean towards a "medium".

Posted by: Richard Bowers (97.120.160.---)
Date: July 01, 2022 11:51PM

If I were tasked to build a rod for "everything", I would look to the American Tackle Matrix MA-SP66-2/6-15 - it checks off all the boxes. It is 6 1/2" long, a 2-piece blank making transport easier, and is rated for line from 6lb through 15lb. It is a Mod-Fast so the panfish will still provide some fight, yet it also hase the beefier butt section to handle the larger fish. Rated for 1/4 to 5/8 ounce lures, it is a very flexible platform! I have one set up as a spinning rod with titamium guides fo I can even use it in the salt. It has never failed me, and I have felt each and every fish due to the sensitivity of the blank!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 02, 2022 08:18AM

With gel-spun line a surprisingly small reel can handle a surprisingly big fish. A fiberglass rod is more resistant to breakage than a graphite rod. Your friend should consider these facts when selecting his blank and components.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 03, 2022 11:52AM

:One cannot have too many rods. Like purses and women's shoes. Two isn't even close. Ten isn't even close.

Having said this, we should remember this comment: "Doesn’t catch anything big, just the normal run of the day fish." This would lead me to a long, (about 7 1/2 feet for good shore casting distance) medium power, mod-fast or fast action. It won't do everything well, but will do most.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster