I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Firs rod build, need help.
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 12:21AM

Dee,
Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel with a wazoo rod, start with the simplest possible solution, in this case simply changing your bait. Bottom fish are basically stupid compared to the activly swimming / feeding fish above them (boy, I just opened the flood gate of opposition). Nonetheless, do you really want a <3oz rod when that 10lb SH takes hold?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 02, 2022 08:01AM

Do you use circle hooks? They greatly decrease the need for extra-sensitive bait-fishing rods and constantly staring at rod tips.

Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: July 02, 2022 10:27AM

Mark, I tried it all- shrimp, mud crabs, sand fleas. My hook up ratio significantly increased with lighter rod (megabass destroyer F2- 3.17oz). Recently hooked 30 inch Snook on it, that was fun. I would like to see how light I can go before I do some damage.

Phil. Yes I do use circlehooks. If I loose 2-3 bites, I change hook size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 12:03PM by Dee Rama.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: July 03, 2022 04:58PM

1/2 of a fresh medium shrimp, #1 short shank heavy hook,1/4 oz slip sinker, 8 or 10 lb fluorocarbon line. Wait until the rod goes down to set.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 03, 2022 05:31PM

Dee,
It seems that you have been-there-done-that and convinced that the lightest rod will solve your SH hook-up woes. While you have received good advice from a number of other members as well, follow Norman’s set-up suggestions TO A TEE!!!. He is the Fuji KR Guru!!! I build all of my UL trout spin rods with a KLAG 16-H based guide train for use with a 1000, rarely 2000 size reel. If there is a possibility that you might ever use a reel larger than your present 2500, a KL 20 based guide train may prove more versatile. I am confident that Norman would agree. Enjoy building and fishing your rod; let us know how it turns-out. And enjoy eating your mushy, flavorless SH lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 04, 2022 07:02AM

It has been my experience that the lightest rod is not always the easiest rod to detect a bite with. How a rod and reel balances can and does go a long way in detecting a bite. It's not just about the rod's ability to transmit vibrations ..... there is more to it than that.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster