I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 wt. Running Guide Sizing
Posted by: Joe Boenish (207.71.136.---)
Date: June 28, 2022 03:42PM

Hoping to get some help in selecting running guides for a pike/musky fly rod I am planning.

The build will be a 9' 10wt North Fork LMX blank and planning to use ceramic (LZR) single foot guides as runners due to the abrasion resistance with sinking line, instead of snake guides.

To base my initial sizing off of I have a Redington Predator 10 wt, which uses snake guides, and a size 8 LZR guide is very similar in inner diameter, but in the case for saving weight what keeps me from using a size 6?

If I size down, am I just worried about knots getting through or does it impact casting?

The weight difference for just the running guides, 6 vs 8, is 1.7g, 3.5g vs 1.9g. Looking at the over guide train, so different tip-top, it's a difference of 2.2g. 7.6g vs 9.8g. I've built a few casting rods, but I'm a novice fly fisherman and have never built a fly rod, so I'm not as confident in what I will be asking of this equipment and where the limits are.

I feel like 2.2g won't be noticeable on a 10 wt., but building a custom rod is all about building to maximize performance, so why throw the weight on if I don't need it.

Curious what people think on this. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 wt. Running Guide Sizing
Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: June 28, 2022 04:41PM

I feel like 2.2g won't be noticeable on a 10 wt., but building a custom rod is all about building to maximize performance, so why throw the weight on if I don't need it.

DON'T

Posted by: Joe Boenish (207.71.136.---)
Date: June 28, 2022 04:55PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel like 2.2g won't be noticeable on a 10 wt.,
> but building a custom rod is all about building to
> maximize performance, so why throw the weight on
> if I don't need it.
>
> DON'T

Right, I'm with you on not adding weight, but you believe a size 6 would also be just as functional then?

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 28, 2022 05:08PM

I have some experience with building a few fly rods for pike. Mine are 9 wt.

In general: Use the smallest guide that will work AND pass your line and leader knots. Even small, single foot guides are brutishly strong. I used size 7 rings for my set up, That is right down the middle of 6 and 8! Ha! If you can get away with 6's, that's what I would do. You could also trial and error with 6's or 8's.

Stripper guide: place 31-32 inches from butt. Size 16 for a 10 wt. (You can go smaller if it still casts well)
Intermediate guide: (one) size 8-10 ring.
Running guides of the size you like (6 to 8) ring.
Static test you guide set-up or space progressively.

You are right to go as light as you can go as a 9/10 wt. with an appropriate size reel, sink tip, and hefty fly is a load to huck all day, as you probably know already!

Sounds like you are gonna build a very nice rod!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2022 05:54PM

I put together a 9' 10wt 4pc Sage One blank with Fuji Ti framed Alconite 7mm L guides (bought them on sale after Fuji discontinued them) for runners and a TKGTT 8mm tip top. The stripper guides I used were Fuji KW 20mm and KW 10mm Ti Torzite. The first fish caught on the video is with that rod the second and after is a 8wt rod I put together with a TFO BVK blank and conventional double foot snake guide runner set up.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 29, 2022 10:40AM

For all-day casting "light" is absolutely the way to go, even small snake guides are plenty strong enough for leaders up to #50, and the double-haul will save you shoulder now and even more later.

Posted by: Joe Boenish (---)
Date: June 29, 2022 07:56PM

Thanks for the feedback all. I’ll just have to test the 6’s and see how the knot at the end of my fly line goes through.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster