I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dark black accents for cork
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: June 27, 2022 04:22PM

What are users doing for making narrow, dark accents for cork? I have been using old fashioned black automotive gasket material but not always satisfied how it turns. Are there any better materials for making dark narrow accents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dark black accents for cork
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 27, 2022 07:23PM

EVA Foam or burnt burl cork rings. You can get EVA sheets in different colors and thicknesses at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores. Here from Amazon.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 27, 2022 08:12PM

This also works quite well. [knifemaking.com]

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: June 28, 2022 12:16AM

You already mentioned gasket material...that comes in black paper and also rubber. You can also use thin plastic material, EVA.
I will usually just go with the black paper...once its epoxied it goes a little darker.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: June 28, 2022 08:00AM

For ultra narrow, black lines between cork rings use TiteBond III colored with black marbling dust from VooDoo Rods.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: June 28, 2022 09:44AM

I see a couple items here that might be worth a try. Thx.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 28, 2022 02:49PM

There is also rubberized cork gasket material that gived a bit darker accent than similar burl cork and it comes in colors depending on the material the cork in mixed with, be it Viton, or some other material.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 28, 2022 04:22PM

I think I read about using vinyl tile many years ago. Soft enough to sand, but durable, too.

Plastic poker chip? Old black, checkbook cover? Credit card (white).

The auto gaskets would be very thin! Great suggestion by others!

My cork jig can cut a wafer to about an 1/8th inch. Sometimes I will sand it down on a block a bit thinner. (Can get a little fiddley and uneven if not done slowly and evenly.)
Not super thin, but relative to the grip length, it can look great.

Thinnest thing I can think of is my patience! Ha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster