I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fastest glass fly rods?
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 22, 2022 02:30PM

I was thinking of making a glass fly rod. Maybe 8 feet for 5 weight. Who has the fastest glass fly blanks? Who has tried the NFC glass blanks? Thoughts?

Re: Fastest glass fly rods?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: June 22, 2022 04:48PM

I have built a number of NFC Iconoglass rods and fish a 4wt myself. It is much faster than the older fiberglass, don't know if it is "the fastest."

I like it very much.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---)
Date: June 22, 2022 05:08PM

Of the glass I have built on : McFarland GTX, those blanks are a blend of S2 and E glass. I have been told the NFC glass is a fast blank, but I don’t have any experience with them. I have fished and built on the following: CTS Quartz, Livingston Rod Co, Steffen Brothers, Kabuto, Tom Morgan, Larry Kenney, Epic and my own tapers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2022 05:39PM

Action is independent of material so "speed" may be what the OP is asking about here.

Posted by: Greg Ware (---.72.223.14.nat.affiber.com)
Date: June 22, 2022 06:35PM

I am currently building 2 NFC Iconoglass, an 8 wt and a 5wt. The 5 wt is on the slow side. Faster than bamboo but not by much. The thing I don’t like is the size of the butt. It’s hard to find a reel seat that fits.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2022 07:22PM

I'm thinking this is about speed not action. You can make super fast action bamboo rods.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: June 22, 2022 07:45PM

8wt NFC has a ton of backbone and can generate line speed.
4wt is slow

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.195.59.---)
Date: June 22, 2022 09:14PM

David,
Consider the new CTS Turbo Taper glass.
I just built a 8'6" #6 for light saltwater use - sweet
Contact me by clicking on my name for RB.Org price
Herb
U.S. Distrib for CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 09:15PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 23, 2022 09:23AM

There is only one source of energy for a fishing rod: the angler, not the rod itself. The rod's effective length leverages the caster's energy, producing more speed, but there comes a point where the rod's length produces enough leveraged weight and wind resistance to produce diminished line speed - and distance. The only way around this problem is to increase line speed. Fly casters accomplish this with the double-haul; spin and bait casters separate their hands when they grasp the rod to cast, making it a third class lever. Even fishermen are forced to obey the laws of physics - instead of advertisers.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2022 09:57AM

All I build is glass rods, and only e glass because of it,s fish fighting fun as M ark Talmo would say..I get all the sensitivity I need or want from the ten pound power pro line that I use. To me the line is a better source of sensitivity than the rod but the glass rod supplies the best qualities for fighting and landing the fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2022 04:24PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 24, 2022 01:02AM

It is certainly refreshing to learn that I am not the only one who recognizes and has reaped the benefits of FG rods. CF certainly has its benefits, but so does FG. To ignore FG rods simply because they are not the latest wonder-fabric is foolish; hiding one’s head in the sand. Neither FG or CF excels across-the-board, in every application; the wise builder / angler recognizes when to use which!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2022 11:44AM

Mark,

Gary Loomis said that if we had materials that we use in the APFG/Iconoglass lineups in the 70s, he would have never gotten into graphite.

Best,
Aleks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster