I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat
Posted by: Greg Ware (---.72.223.160.nat.affiber.com)
Date: June 19, 2022 04:10PM

Can anyone offer suggestions as to where to find a reel seat for a NFC Iconoglass 8 wt fly blank with a 0.588 butt.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 19, 2022 06:03PM

Alps RCAH for me, pricey but very classy and bullet proof.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (97.120.160.---)
Date: June 19, 2022 08:00PM

Contact Mike McCoy at Snake Brand, he has great looking fly rod reel seats in Polished Aluminum, Nickel Silver, and Black Nickel. His wood inserts are outstanding! (https://www.snakeguides.com/)

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2022 10:38PM

+1 for Lemke or McCoy - the Lemke seats are just beautiful, and I use them on personal rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2022 11:33PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 20, 2022 06:04AM

Check the bore availability before buying.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2022 09:01AM

You have plenty of options especially if you are looking for an all metal seat, several of the board sponsors carry stuff from REC, American Tackle, Batson and Pacific Bay, plus a few I may not have mentioned.

Joel Lemke has a couple also, he is the guy that makes Snake Brands skeletons. If you are looking for a wood with metal seat, that .588 bore is going to be tough, possible with certain woods, but you would be better off installing a Stent. You just cut off from the butt section the length of the seat you are using, the Stent goes insides the butt section, typically about 3 inches and epoxied in place. Stent is similar to a Spigot Ferrule to paint the picture. Then just install the seat on the Stent.

If you ever built on a Tom Morgan Rodsmiths glass blank, many of them come with a Stent, most models are rather large on the butt end.

I buy Carbon tubes from Goodwinds, lightweight and strong, they have many diameters and the wall thickness is substantial enough that you can slightly taper the tube so it will match the inside diameter of the blank.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (68.235.61.---)
Date: June 22, 2022 02:20PM

I do not know what sort of style or look you are after but a Fuji composite seat in a size 16 will easily fit your blank and holds a reel better than anything else.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2022 07:37AM

I second.what Mike suggested. It,s the only seat I use for fly,spin or cast.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 24, 2022 10:45PM

I like proof fly fishing seats. They also don’t cost an arm or a leg either. Lemke makes really nice seats too.

Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 27, 2022 12:08PM

We make a ton of Fly seats and other accessories! We have dealers all over the US and the world so reach out to them and they will have what you need!

Kevin Landers

Marketing Manager
American Tackle Co.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster