I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trout jerkbait blank
Posted by: Nicholas Durst (---)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:57AM

Good afternoon,

Going to build a 6’-6’6” ML rod for throwing jerk baits for brown trout and rainbows. I use anything from f5-f11 orignal floating rapalas to cd7. I’ve been looking but before ordering looking for some second opinions on blanks I may have over looked.

Additionally has anyone built any Jdm blanks? Recently was turned onto a couple bfs (basic finesse system) articles and videos and got my head turning on a few ideas for that.

Thanks for your time Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout jerkbait blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2022 04:03PM

I was going to suggest a trimmed down Rainshaow Revelation REVS68ML blank, as I built a jerkbait rod for bass on one earlier this year. That is until I looked up the weight of an F5 original floating minnow. I built my rod as a casting rod, and while a spinning rod would cast a bait the size of an F5 better, I don't think the blank would load well enough for that light of a bait. Plus I think it would have too much power for the small hooks that come on an F5. I am sure it would do well with the F11 though.

Anyhow .... at times I throw #5 balsa shad raps on a drop shot rod I built on a NFC DS6107 IM blank. I am certain it would cast weights as light as an F5 quite well. And it's soft enough that it wouldn't tear out the small trebles on an F5. I don't know what type of blank you're looking at now, but a drop shot blank may be something to consider?

Date: June 18, 2022 05:02PM

Right now top of my list is nfc SJ721 IM but your suggestion of the rev is also on it. I find myself fishing mostly f9 and only down size if it’s a tough bite 85% of the time I’m f7 or higher.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2022 09:58PM

Nicholas,

We make a lot of blanks for JDM companies, they will import NFC blanks, make them into rods, and export them back out to the US/rest of world.

The trout blanks for the JDM market are mostly two piece when they go above 7ft...

The F5 is about 1/6 oz and the F11 about 3/16oz, the F7 a 1/8oz

I would again recommend a blank we made specifically for the BFS application the P700.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Nicholas Durst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good afternoon,
>
> Going to build a 6’-6’6” ML rod for throwing
> jerk baits for brown trout and rainbows. I use
> anything from f5-f11 orignal floating rapalas to
> cd7. I’ve been looking but before ordering
> looking for some second opinions on blanks I may
> have over looked.
>
> Additionally has anyone built any Jdm blanks?
> Recently was turned onto a couple bfs (basic
> finesse system) articles and videos and got my
> head turning on a few ideas for that.
>
> Thanks for your time Nick

Date: June 18, 2022 10:19PM

The reason I’m looking at ML is because I fish some smaller steams with 20”+ fish being very common with a lot of obstructions that you have to put the brakes on them from time to time, and I already blew up my former favorite trout rod the FW602-1 from leaning a little to hard on a fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:13PM

You might think about the lightest spin jig blank you can find, light fast tips with a bit more backbone than a FW rod possesses. I like my SB5100-1 for your needs, it's a special little stick not done by others. A 5' 10 " little powerhouse. 20+ inch fish have not been a problem for this rod for 30+ years. Trout, smallmouth, largemouth, walleye, chain pickerel, pink salmon, searun cutthroat, and a few steelhead by accident, one of Gary's classics.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2022 12:08AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2022 02:01PM

Nicholas - Here are some CCS numbers that were previously published by NFC, on some blanks you might be interested in.
Your old FW 602 - IP = 170 g, AA = 68
MB 661 IM - IP = 337 gm , AA = 68
MB 662 IM - IP = 386 gm, AA = 71
CB 661 IM - IP = 259 gm, AA = 69
SB 5100 IM - IP = 252 gm , AA = 71
SB 601 IM - IP = 284 gm, AA = 69
SB 602 IM - IP = 371 gm, AA = 69
SB 603 IM - IP = 465 gm , AA = 67
SJ 603 IM - IP = 431 gm, AA = 71
C 601 IM - IP = 299 gm, AA = 71
C 602 IM - IP = 362 gm, AA =76
C 603 IM - IP = 424 gm , AA = 73
Norm

Date: June 19, 2022 05:39PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Nicholas - Here are some CCS numbers that were
> previously published by NFC, on some blanks you
> might be interested in.
> Your old FW 602 - IP = 170 g, AA = 68
> MB 661 IM - IP = 337 gm , AA = 68
> MB 662 IM - IP = 386 gm, AA = 71
> CB 661 IM - IP = 259 gm, AA = 69
> SB 5100 IM - IP = 252 gm , AA = 71
> SB 601 IM - IP = 284 gm, AA = 69
> SB 602 IM - IP = 371 gm, AA = 69
> SB 603 IM - IP = 465 gm , AA = 67
> SJ 603 IM - IP = 431 gm, AA = 71
> C 601 IM - IP = 299 gm, AA = 71
> C 602 IM - IP = 362 gm, AA =76
> C 603 IM - IP = 424 gm , AA = 73
> Norm

Honestly up until yesterday I never heard of CCS I’m still new to rod building only having 15-20 personal rods built. I’m in the middle of reading up on it now.

Date: June 19, 2022 05:49PM

Okay thanks for the info Norm, the just is higher the grain the heavier the power and the action numbers makes a bit more sense now

Date: June 19, 2022 07:05PM

You’re correct, the higher the IP the higher the power, and the higher the AA the faster the action. The CCs numbers are very useful for comparing blanks. However, most manufacturers don’t supply these numbers. You implied that you liked your FW602 but felt it was not powerful enough for what you are doing. All of the NFC blanks I listed are more powerful but with similar actions, and they are all listed as UL , L. or ML power, which by itself does not mean much, but does imply that they should be able to cast the lures you use. My guess would be be to try something with an IP between 250 and 350 gm with an AA of about 70. Spencer’s SB5100 recommendation would be in the ball park, along with some others. I don’t have CCS data on REVS68ML recommended by David. The P700, recommended by Aleks, has an IP of 117 gm, so it is less powerful than the FW602. I don’t have any info on the SJ721 you listed (in fact I can’t find any info on it) but at 7’2” might be longer than you want. Hope this helps.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2022 12:18PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 20, 2022 12:23PM

Norman,
Where did you find this data? It's just what I have been looking for.
Norman Miller Wrote:
> Nicholas - Here are some CCS numbers that were
> previously published by NFC, on some blanks you
> might be interested in.
> Your old FW 602 - IP = 170 g, AA = 68
> MB 661 IM - IP = 337 gm , AA = 68
> MB 662 IM - IP = 386 gm, AA = 71
> CB 661 IM - IP = 259 gm, AA = 69
> SB 5100 IM - IP = 252 gm , AA = 71
> SB 601 IM - IP = 284 gm, AA = 69
> SB 602 IM - IP = 371 gm, AA = 69
> SB 603 IM - IP = 465 gm , AA = 67
> SJ 603 IM - IP = 431 gm, AA = 71
> C 601 IM - IP = 299 gm, AA = 71
> C 602 IM - IP = 362 gm, AA =76
> C 603 IM - IP = 424 gm , AA = 73
> Norm

Date: June 20, 2022 02:50PM

A while back NFC published CCS data on most of their blanks. A number a years ago a rod board member (Gib Portwood) archived this NFC CCS data in a public excel file along with the data from Point Blank and PacBay Quickline blanks. The front page of the file has an ERN calculator which you can use by going to the edit mode.
Here is the Ecell file, whIch I have shared a number of times before.
[onedrive.live.com]

Here is a recent discussion concerning the data
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Hope the links come through.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 23, 2022 07:39AM

As for the numbers for the REVS68ML blank. Mine is trimmed down to 6'1" and I came up with an IP of 433, with an AA of 72. I built it as a casting rod, and for the baits I throw with it, and the size hooks they have, it doesn't over power the hooks. The lightest baits I cast with it weigh 1/4 oz and have #6 hooks on them.

Oh and if anyone is looking for an awesome replacement hook for jerkbaits, I recently went from using Owner ST 36 round bend trebles, to the ST 35. It has a little shorter shank than the ST 36, and a wide gap of the same type as the Mustad Triple Grip treble hooks.

Dangerously sharp and the keep fish buttoned up very very well. The one problem I have had with them is that they are so sharp, that I have snagged countless numbers of shad with them when working around bait balls. lol

Awesome hooks !!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 27, 2022 09:20AM

What are the characteristics of trout jerk bait rods which separate them from other rods?

Date: June 28, 2022 08:01PM

For me it’s about application, I wouldn’t be able to use a 6’6” rod or bigger on the vast majority of the rivers of fish. So the characteristics I asked about was shorter rod with plenty of back bone and a soft tip.

Date: June 28, 2022 08:01PM

For me it’s about application, I wouldn’t be able to use a 6’6” rod or bigger on the vast majority of the rivers of fish. So the characteristics I asked about was shorter rod with plenty of back bone and a soft tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster