I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: All Purpose Fast Glass
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: July 12, 2022 03:32PM

Ended up going with the 1 power All Purpas Fast Glass. Tied casting, it is a nice casting rod for 4-5 gram Ned's. Reminds me more of a light drift rod, than a bass rod. But will do well for what I want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 23, 2022 11:15AM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 02:09PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: July 23, 2022 12:32PM

I picked up the APFG710-1 in teal for the wife, it is in no way one of those whippy ultralights and has better than decent backbone also, I'm no expert on BFS, but I wouldn't be afraid to start here.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: July 23, 2022 12:55PM

Good to know, just ordered the same blank plus the 2,4 power to try.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 23, 2022 04:57PM

That 744 is a sweet blank! I can feel a difference between it and the 745; and my CCS data confirms it. I appreciate the noticeable difference as some rods/blanks are harder to distinguish.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 24, 2022 12:28PM

The harmonic period of a rod blank gives solid information of how a rod built on that blank will feel and respond. Harmonics aren't a question of individual or advertising opinions, it's science. Rod marketers prefer not to provide useful scientific facts about the physical qualities of their blanks. Instead, you are promised blank or rod with a "smooth" or "fast" or "powerful" or [my favorite] "soulful" action. Bon Chance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 24, 2022 03:01PM

Phil, do you measure "harmonic period?" If yes, how?

Date: July 24, 2022 08:15PM

About time to stop whining and start contributing. Your post on reel seat shims is the only positive thing I've ever seen you post. Good for you on that, but you can do better than just one.

Date: July 24, 2022 11:20PM

Yea, If I had a decent reel, this thing would probably throw sub 4 grams. But it is killer with little Ned rigs and my Kast King Zephyr. Def has some serious backbone for how light the tip is.

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I picked up the APFG710-1 in teal for the wife, it
> is in no way one of those whippy ultralights and
> has better than decent backbone also, I'm no
> expert on BFS, but I wouldn't be afraid to start
> here.

Date: July 26, 2022 09:49AM

For those of you that have handled this blank, what are your thoughts on cutting it?

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2022 11:14AM

Michael, I think your being very unfair to Phil,.I have learned quite a few things from Phil especially when he doesn't talk about advertisers...lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 27, 2022 10:00AM

Michael: Rather than use an oscilloscope or some other whiz-bang testing machinery I prefer to test-cast a rod blank before I buy it. I belong to a fly-fishing club whose members generously allow me to test cast their rods with their lines - or mine. I truly believe there is no reliable substitute for test-casting a rod blank; in the case of a fly rod test-casting with two or more different lines. All casters have different strokes, so results are personal things - especially the difference between fly-rod wavers and double-haulers. I can't see how a static test for ERN is much help in finding the best tool for a dynamic activity like casting, especially double-haul fly casting - which is the only way you will get much distance with a fly rod. It's easy to buy a blank or a rod you hate if you don't test-cast it . . . not so easy if you do. Please don't take this personally . . .

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2022 11:51AM

See..that was the good Phil, not a word about advertisers..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 01, 2022 11:49AM

I don't dislike advertisers. They're just trying to make a living by being "creative" in their claims. I will continue to urge buyers of blanks or rods to rely upon dynamic testing - how far or easily a blank casts - rather than static testing - how a blank behaves when clamped to a bench - especially if buying a $600, $900, or $1200 fishing rod, and regardless of the advertising hype and status surrounding high-priced rods. Handsome is as handsome does.

Date: August 04, 2022 08:15AM

"I can't see how a static test for ERN is much help in finding the best tool for a dynamic activity like casting,"

Same for length and weight, right? Rod characteristics like weight, length, and ERN (which measures where the blank bends) are valuable in telling you which rods you might want to test cast.

By the way, I don't use an oscilloscopes or any other technology that most people don't already have in their pocket.

Date: August 04, 2022 08:29AM

"Same thing . . ." - What gave you that idea??

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 04, 2022 04:44PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> By the way, I don't use an oscilloscopes or any
> other technology that most people don't already
> have in their pocket.

You don't have an O-scope in your pocket?

Date: August 04, 2022 06:13PM

Darik, Hard to guess as you didn't say where, or how much you want to cut.

Date: August 09, 2022 09:04AM

Michael: I don't measure harmonic period, which equates with rod recovery rate, I believe. I prefer to cast a rod before I buy it, rather than pore over bench tests. Buying a rod or rod blank without test-casting it seems like buying a car without driving it?

Date: August 09, 2022 12:35PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> Darik, Hard to guess as you didn't say where, or
> how much you want to cut.

I thought about building another one, with 6 inches off the butt.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster