I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: All Purpose Fast Glass
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2022 10:32PM

Wow that is helpful. The MB is def stiff, but rated fairly low. I'll keep that DS in mind as it would be nice for thr small bass that I normally catch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 10:57PM

Threw the Zepher with 6 lb co polymer on the MB 733. 1/10 ounce jig can cast, but feels impossible to load the rod tip.

Date: June 18, 2022 12:31AM

Aleks,
Do you have the CCS data for that blank?

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Derick,
>
> Check out the P700 - its a new blank that is a
> "specific BFS" blank
>
> Best,
> Aleks
>
>
> Derick Jahnke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Targeting Small Mouths in big rivers, fishing
> near
> > bank from boat and foot. I usually use worm/Ned
> > type jig heads with small soft plastics.

Date: June 18, 2022 01:08AM

Any idea what the 742 might be CCS wise?

Leslie Cline Wrote:
> Here is my CCS data on some of the APFG blanks I
> have:
>
> APFG745: IP = 575, AA =80+
> APFG744: IP =447.5; AA = 80
> APFG786: IP = 638; AA = 75
>
> I am very impressed with the APFG line of blanks!
> They are light, crisp, with a fast tip. The 745 is
> a versatile blank for me as I have used it for
> jigs, frogs, and crankbaits. It handles them all
> vey well in my experience.
>
> I really like the NFC DS721 X-ray as my BFS rod.:
> IP = 268; AA = 76. It throws light baits well and
> I like the way it loads up with a fish. Pin em'
> and Win em! Ha!
>
> Don't overlook the Delta line, either! You might
> be surprised, as I was, at the performance of this
> line.
>
> Les

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:10AM

Derick, The CC and AA were posted recently when this blank first came out, you can look in SEARCH for it, my recollection is it was in the mid 5 weight fly rod range. PS posted May 5 this year, everything you need Delto know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 11:18AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:26AM

Derick,

In my experience with BFS, the ultra light to light power ranges have given me the most satisfactory results - especially in that 1/16 to 1/8 oz. category. That is a 0 or 1 Power rating to me.

I tried BFS with an off the shelf St. Croix Avid 69MLXF because it was the lightest casting rod I owned at the time (IP 358 and AA 77), and this combo worked best with 1/8 + lure weights. Will pitch a 3-4 inch senko/creature T-rigged anywhere I wanna go with it. Fast/soft tips shine for me when casting light lures and light line, that's why I think my BFS will STILL work with a rod a bit heavier in power than ideal.

The next lowest power blank I have is the NFC DS6100 = IP of 275 and AA of 78. I think this blank is in that transition area of light to medium-light power, though the blank is listed as "medium" power. I made this one into a KR Concept spinning rod and it, too, is very sweet for 1/8 oz. jigs. However, IMO, it might be pushing it for the lighter 1/16 oz. stuff. (By the way, I hooked a larger drum on this rig and found out the medium power designation is not necessarily misplaced; it has some power in the lower half.)

I don't have the 742, sadly. Is it an APFG series? Sounds like it MIGHT be a candidate because the other rods in this series have fast tips and are very crisp (faster speed and recovery) compared to other glass blanks I have handled. However, the 2 Power might be a tad much? (There is a great sale on these APFG's rolling right now, I think it is still going, and if you are like me, I can take a risk to find out if I like it. If not, I can find a hole to fill in my rod quiver.)

Alex (from NFC) gave you a great suggestion in the P7000, IMO. I am intrigued with this blank for BFS, too. Nice length, lower power, and X-Rays are wonderfully light and fast/sensitive.

It takes some experimenting for me to dial it in.

Les

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 18, 2022 11:33AM

I meant to say, Aleks from NFC....my apologies.

Date: June 18, 2022 11:47AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> Derick, The CC and AA were posted recently when
> this blank first came out, you can look in SEARCH
> for it, my recollection is it was in the mid 5
> weight fly rod range. PS posted May 5 this year,
> everything you need Delto know.

I must have missed the post. Was it on this forum or somewhere else?

Date: June 18, 2022 01:08PM

Oh nvm, you were talking about the new XRAY blank.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2022 01:22PM

Derick,

Here are the specs you were looking for:

[manage.kmail-lists.com]

Best,
Aleks

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
> Oh nvm, you were talking about the new XRAY blank.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: June 18, 2022 02:12PM

Derick,

I have the P700 blank. It is very light and crisp. I did a test with it lifting a 2 lb weight. It bends deep but didn’t fold. Not sure I would do that test with speed. Someone mentioned 5wt territory and that is probably close. I finished a 4wt Iconoglass recently and the P700 feels more powerful.

I have also been looking at the APG blanks and almost ordered the bottom three on several occasions. I have been very happy with the lifting power of the 8wt Iconoglass, it starts a bit soft, but locks up solid in the mid-butt section. My hope is that one of the APG will be similar, having a lighter tip with a strong taper to power in the mid to butt.

My use for BFS is as an alternative to fly fishing sight casting to redfish in the grass. 1/16oz jighead and ZMann TRD craws is my normal bait. I think the total weight is 4.4 grams.

The P700 is a bit light for what my intended use, but we will see when I get a better fish to test it. I have had luck with some moderate crank bait rods, but the P700 is my first non fly blank from NFC, so I am still trying to learn the properties between series.

Date: June 18, 2022 02:58PM

Would the 5.7 ERN be about 1800 grains/117 grams? If so, thst is much too light for me. I'm looking for something around 300 grams IP.

Date: June 18, 2022 03:01PM

I dont even know what makes a Delta a Delta vs SM/IM.

Leslie Cline Wrote:
> Here is my CCS data on some of the APFG blanks I
> have:
>
> APFG745: IP = 575, AA =80+
> APFG744: IP =447.5; AA = 80
> APFG786: IP = 638; AA = 75
>
> I am very impressed with the APFG line of blanks!
> They are light, crisp, with a fast tip. The 745 is
> a versatile blank for me as I have used it for
> jigs, frogs, and crankbaits. It handles them all
> vey well in my experience.
>
> I really like the NFC DS721 X-ray as my BFS rod.:
> IP = 268; AA = 76. It throws light baits well and
> I like the way it loads up with a fish. Pin em'
> and Win em! Ha!
>
> Don't overlook the Delta line, either! You might
> be surprised, as I was, at the performance of this
> line.
>
> Les

Date: June 18, 2022 04:40PM

I did what I could to measure the UC 66lxf. 532 grams to bend the blank tip down 26 inches (1/3rd of the blank length). I feel like that is not correct.

Date: June 20, 2022 09:55PM

Have you tried going to the bass specific sites and ask? Tackletour custom rod site would be one m i would try, they are pretty active and try new stuff relatively quickly, they haven't been out,there very long and the only one I've used was on the high end of their power options. Weight and reaction time was nothing like the regular S glass blanks I have used, a definite upgrade.

Date: June 21, 2022 03:22AM

I'm going to need to go up North. But I'll check out the mentioned forum.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 21, 2022 11:20AM

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
> I dont even know what makes a Delta a Delta vs
> SM/IM.

The difference is in the raw material the blank is made from.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: June 21, 2022 12:21PM

The folks over at bass resource can be helpful too. Just tell them what lure weight and your river smallies. Some BFS antagonists there like everywhere, but a blank is a blank.

I think I am going to give the APG a shot to see what they are like. I like glass out of the kayak. 5g bait to a slot red is old man happiness every time.

Date: June 21, 2022 02:31PM

The material used in the Delta, Iconoglas and All Purpose Fast Glass is higher modulus than anything we have had historically AND it is installed from tip to butt just like carbon materials which increases the modulus even more compared to earlier glass materials laid out in a mat fashion. Any type of fiber that is laid at an angle increases hoop strength (scrim/toughness), but it dramaticaaly loses it's modulus compared to the tip to butt laid material.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2022 01:05PM

if your looking a higher glass modulus try a lower modulus like that found in Walmart graphite rods. They don't feel much stiffer than a good s glass rod.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster