I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
All Purpose Fast Glass
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 16, 2022 11:37AM

Anyone have experience with these blanks? I'm considering building a BFS rod and can't dig up any objective information on this line of blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All Purpose Fast Glass
Date: June 16, 2022 03:35PM

Has no one had their hands on these blanks?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---)
Date: June 16, 2022 04:12PM

Never heard of them

Date: June 16, 2022 04:28PM

North Fork Composites All Purpuse Fast Glass.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2022 05:41PM

There is a Forum that caters to glass, Fiberglass Flyrodders , you'll find some reviews of the North Fork glass there, I do a lot of glass builds, but I've never built on the North Fork offerings.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: June 16, 2022 06:09PM

It would have helped if you had used the NFC name as well. As I only build fly rods, I am familiar with NFC Iconglass blanks and recommend them

Date: June 16, 2022 07:20PM

Yes apologies. I'm specifically looking at their all purpose blanks. I don't know how to edit the title.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 12:17AM

Maybe this will give people a little more insite as to what he is talking about
[manage.kmail-lists.com]

Posted by: John Durbin (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 06:39AM

I have 2 of them I have not built yet, so I can not give you much Information on them. The CCS numbers I did are APFG10-1 IP# is 174 AA 76. The APFG45-1 IP# is 635 and AA 75. The AA numbers could be off a bit but those are what I came up with. I will be building the APFG10-1 in a couple of weeks when I get back home. They seem very nice for the price.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 10:21AM

Still trying to wrap my mind around what BFS really is, the rod spectrum seems to be all over the place, with the power ratings going up weekly. Seems like it will soon be any rod you put one of those little reels on.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 17, 2022 10:34AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still trying to wrap my mind around what BFS
> really is, the rod spectrum seems to be all over
> the place, with the power ratings going up weekly.
> Seems like it will soon be any rod you put one of
> those little reels on.

Pretty much where I figured it would go in traditional fishing. Basically a system for folks who don't like spinning reels. I gave it the college try. It is not for me. I am just as accurate with a spinning reel on the cast and for bottom bait I just don't get the free fall I look for with BFS as the reel still has a good bit of resistance in the spool. I also don't mind angling and fighting a fish so the extra torque when reeling in is not my style.

Now if I am doing some unique Japanese style urban creek fishing I might choose the BFS.

Date: June 17, 2022 10:56AM

I'm not trying to get crazy, I just don't like the XRAY MB 733 thst I built. It's very stiff and I'm not too comfortable with it. I have one of the UC DHX ultralight blanks thst I might try out, it seems it could be a bit softer and I purchased a Kast King Zephyr to see if the reel size would be acceptable.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 17, 2022 01:00PM

If you really wanted to stick to X-ray the SJ703 is worth a look. It is my favorite "finesse" rod. I have one that keeps a ned rig on. Usually 1/16 to 1/8oz which is in range of the rod after plastics are added. Another I use for light movers like underspins or Okashira heads with finesse swimmers.

What is your application specifically?

Date: June 17, 2022 01:35PM

Targeting Small Mouths in big rivers, fishing near bank from boat and foot. I usually use worm/Ned type jig heads with small soft plastics.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 02:11PM

I built a medium light one. I like it especially for the river I fish by where I live

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 02:17PM

United Composites DHX blanks are like NFC in some ways, the 601 is listed as a fast but it is considerably faster than my 65LXF though less powerful.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2022 04:03PM

Derick,

Check out the P700 - its a new blank that is a "specific BFS" blank

Best,
Aleks

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Targeting Small Mouths in big rivers, fishing near
> bank from boat and foot. I usually use worm/Ned
> type jig heads with small soft plastics.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 05:44PM

Here is my CCS data on some of the APFG blanks I have:

APFG745: IP = 575, AA =80+
APFG744: IP =447.5; AA = 80
APFG786: IP = 638; AA = 75

I am very impressed with the APFG line of blanks! They are light, crisp, with a fast tip. The 745 is a versatile blank for me as I have used it for jigs, frogs, and crankbaits. It handles them all vey well in my experience.

I really like the NFC DS721 X-ray as my BFS rod.: IP = 268; AA = 76. It throws light baits well and I like the way it loads up with a fish. Pin em' and Win em! Ha!

Don't overlook the Delta line, either! You might be surprised, as I was, at the performance of this line.

Les

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 07:39PM

Derick,

I forgot that I have some CCS on the MB733 also: IP = 438 AA = 78 versus the DS721 X-Ray = IP 268 and AA of 76.

No wonder you found the 733 too stiff for BFS for the lure weights you may want to throw! It is a blank with more power than a St. Croix V 66MF IP = 400 AA = 70

Granted, I am still learning the CCS and how to measure accurately (others may have other measurements and variances), however, I am not that far off, IMO.

If you are in the rod-building game, or have the bug, it is worthwhile to learn how to CCS. It helps me determine the characteristics of rods that I find effective for the kinds of fishing I do. It will do the same for you.

I, too, am interested in BFS fishing, and have started doing it more this year - starting with throwing 1/8 road runners for spring crappie. Worked well for me, and I also ran into the occasional freshwater drum and channel catfish...fun! You can whip a good size fish with BFS if you need to do it. The REEL (Curado BFS with 6-pound fluoro) is low inertia and game to throw anything I tie on. It is the rod that is the game changer, as you know.

Hope I helped you in some way - even though I was so excited to share my recent CCS testing on the APFG blanks that I forgot you were about BFS and not so much about APFG!

Les

Date: June 17, 2022 09:06PM

Wow that is helpful. The MB is def stiff, but rated fairly low. I'll keep that DS in mind as it would be nice for thr small bass that I normally catch.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster