I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank for small plastic soft jerk bait and 1/8 oz hard jerkbait
Posted by: Louis Yang (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 12, 2022 06:55PM

I built a NFC Delta MB664 for topwater and hard jerk bait. It bombs 1/4 oz jerkbiat out a mile and I really enjoying jerking with the stiffer tip section. But this rod can't handle 1/8oz small jerk bait or soft jerk bait (zoom fluke jr). I am looking to build another 6ft6 length jerk bait rod specifically for the smaller jerk bait application and am looking at Point blank.

I have built PB701LXF, PB731MXF as casting, but they are way faster action and too powerful that I am struggling to throw bait under 1/8oz on the PB701LXF. This blank sweet spot is 1/4oz bait. PB731MXF is a different animal.

I am looking for 6"6 length, spinning setup, throwing 1/8 oz hard jerk bait or zoom tiny fluke. Don't know if anyone build PB661MLF for this application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank for small plastic soft jerk bait and 1/8 oz hard jerkbait
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 12, 2022 09:19PM

PB661 Light Fast? That's as light as they get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 09:20PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 13, 2022 01:14AM

The PB661F Lynn mentioned is I'd say 1/6th less powerful than your PB701LXF and just a bit slower. It would be on my list.

Posted by: Louis Yang (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 13, 2022 01:39AM

How about PB691MLXF? I think I can tolerate the length to 6 ft 9". Hope it can throw some weightless fluke/tiny fluke & small hard jerk bait (1/16 oz to 1/4 oz) and can do a good twitch. Good thing about PB691ML is that it can also double as drop shot rod if needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2022 01:39AM by Louis Yang.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2022 09:03AM

Agree with the recommendations.

I'm surprised that the 701LXF doesn't do better than you report. Maybe wrong casting technique? Using only wrists I quickly move the rod overhead straight back to about 2:00 and with no hesitation on the change of direction, snap it forward thus loading and releasing the rod well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 13, 2022 02:23PM

There is a larger difference in power than between the 69MLXF and your 70LXF, and I want to apologize for my first post being in err, my rotten handwriting and a bout of CoVid, anyway, the difference in power between the two blanks is much closer with the 661LF still lighter powered, but only 7 % less so. Since it has virtually the same butt diameter and tip size and is 0.3 oz lighter makes me think it is a bit thinner walled much like some of my favorite Lamiglas rods. Again sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2022 12:10AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 13, 2022 07:12PM

The 691MLXF is a peach!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---)
Date: June 17, 2022 03:44PM

Here are the specs on both 6'6" and 6'9" PB's. Note the comments by Kyle Welcher, Bassmaster ELITE Pro angler on the models he has fished (in italics). Click "Hard Specs" for CCS and RDA info on each model.

[pointblankrods.com]

[pointblankrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster