I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Wrap
Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-249-208.myvzw.com)
Date: June 04, 2022 09:29AM

If a Tip Top is Glued on with Tip Top Adhesive, is there a requirement for Wrapping it? Is it more for aesthetics? Or do you wrap over the tube
a little to help secure it? I am building an Ultralight rod and wondering if it would be okay not to have the wrap Tip Top. On my Ice Fishing Rods I
wrapped a guide for the tip top, but this is first time I am gluing a tip top on. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Wrap
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 09:37AM

I wrap the tip up to, but not onto, the tip-top - else it looks unfinished to me.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 10:55AM

Not necessary, but like Micheal, I always do one because it gives a finished look.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 11:34AM

On fly rods i just run a little bead of thread epoxy around the blank at the end of the tip top tube.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 01:33PM

Its a custom rod and you can do whatever you want, so wrapping over the tube may be aesthetically appealing to you. Something like a signature for the rods you build. I do not do it but I do a decorative wrap at the tip, up to the tube and when I put the epoxy on the wraps I slightly coat the end of the tube. On some of my ultra light builds I will not do a decorative wrap at the tip, but I like what Herb does. It looks like its missing something, so that little bead might be the ticket.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 01:46PM

I generally use a short tip top wrap up to the tip, but not over it..

When I build ice fishing rods I use florescent pink or florescent chartreuse tip top wraps. Often when ice fishing, it is in a dim shelter, or at night. As a result, the florescent thread really helps to illuminate the tip of the rod to be better able to notice light bites from fish down below.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 02:51PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On fly rods i just run a little bead of thread
> epoxy around the blank at the end of the tip top
> tube.
> Herb

X 2 on what Herb does. Looks great, easy to do and seals moisture out !!! Win win

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 04:06PM

Stan,
Tip wraps are optional = personal preference. All the replies above are good; for ultimate performance = no wrap, for aesthetics = wrap. I prefer a brief tip wrap which complements the guide wraps. On my UL / fly rods I often wrap an open spiral of a noticeable color to aid visual detection of light bites. In the end = to each their own.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 04:37PM

All my personal rods are done like Herb suggested, all types.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2022 04:55PM

I'm with Lance it is a custom rod, It is your choice.

Wrapping the the tip does not add to the integrity of the build, however it does add to the eye appeal of the rod.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 05:40PM

I wrap my MNST tip tops on surf rods with AAA thread.

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 06:26PM

Thanks for all the replies! So I put about 5 or 6 wraps of thread in front of the tip top and will coat with epoxy. Gives a little finish look with minimal addition hopefully. Once again thanks! Forum is so helpful.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: June 05, 2022 08:04AM

I will wrap on to the barrel of the tip.
It most certainly adds "some" extra support for the tip.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: June 05, 2022 11:07AM

I have this unusual story to tell...

One day I was wading the South Harpeth river with a friend of mine.
Every once in awhile he would make a cast and his line would snap and his lure would go flying.
Well this went on for about an hour. He was blaming it on having some bad line.
We took off the line and I spooled on half the line I had on my spool.
His very next cast....the line breaks and the lure goes flying.

I got to looking at his rod and noticed that that tip was loose.
What was happening was this:
When he made a cast...the tip was rotating on the blank.
This was essentially wrapping the line around the blank between the tip and the first guide and causing the line to break.
What was somewhat perplexing is that the tip never came off.
I took a lighter to it and remelted what little glue there was and it was fixed.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2022 11:39AM

Stash, your good to go, just glue it on and go fishing.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 05, 2022 03:14PM

Was told this about 1980 by Camm Clark. What he showed me was the Tiptop guide tube was a little larger than the blank so he recommend that it be wrapped toward the tiptop tube, When your wrap reached the tube you continue wrapping BACK over it self with the pull thru loop under this back tracking wrap until you got enough to contain the tag end and finish with pull through like any other wrap. this will take care of the tube step. My .02.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2022 08:34AM

I wrap my tip tops. I just think it looks nicer, but that's totally a personal choice.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2022 11:12AM

The science of physics predicts weight added to the tip-top will slow the action of the rod - and it will. Unless you go wild with wraps and decorations at the rod tip I doubt a short wrap at the tip-top will produce a measurable change in the rod's performance. If someone produces Numbered evidence to the contrary I will change my opinion. Obsession is a deep pit.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2022 02:23PM

Adding tiptop wrap to an ice rod IMHO, will not affect the performance of the rod. Ice rods are jigging rods of relatively short lengths. Often, spring indicators are placed on the rod end to act as a strike indicator. The tiny bit of weight added with wraps won't make the blank any less sensitive, and as stated in above posts ,can be of a florescent or reflective color to assist in visibility of the rod end. Accumulating ice on the rod tip will add more weight than the wraps. There are tiptops available with a tang provided so that wraps can further strengthen, and stabilize the tiptop.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: June 17, 2022 01:20AM

No need to wrap the tub, just wrap it up to the tip-top tube. Wapping the top-top got started back in the 50s and it was on all rods until the 70s on fiberglass rods because fiberglass would break easily if the rod got bumped up against a hard surface. With today's graphite blanks, a tip-top wrap is not at all important. A tip-top wrap. is more of a decorative touch that custom rod builders put on their rods but it is not really needed with today's graphite rods.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster