I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Name direction on rod
Posted by: Douglas Roeber (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 12:00AM

Is there a traditional direction for putting a name on a rod ie. towards the tip ?

Re: Name direction on rod
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 12:47AM

Douglas,
Good post!!! Yes, it is called personal preference. While possibly insignificant to most, your question has plenty of merit. While the vast majority of inscriptions / decals read from buttt to tip, that is opposite to what the typical, right-handed angler sees when holding the rod. Although I have admittedly following-the-norm with the “butt-to-tip” read orientation of inscriptions / decals, it certainly makes sense to reverse that so that it reads easily for the angler. It is odd that you mention it because I have recently been thinking of reversing my inscription orientation to accommodate the predominant right-handed angler (tip to butt). I am anxious to learn of any reason why an inscription needs to read one way or the other rather than personal preference. Splitting hairs? = most definitely, but isn’t that what rod builders do?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (97.120.160.---)
Date: June 04, 2022 06:18AM

I actually use both - I have the rod specifics reading from the butt-to-tip anh my label (or a customer's custom label) on the opposite side reading from the tip-to-butt

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 07:56AM

Over the years, I have almost lettered from the tip to the butt for the name of an owner.

For the very reason that Mark points out.

A right handed person grabs his rod in his right hand, and then glances down at the rod. Normally the tip of the rod will be brought across his body and into his line of vision. This means that the tip of the rod is on the left and the butt is on the right.

i.e. When a person reads a book one reads - when reading english - that one reads from left to right.

So, if holding the rod in front of you with the tip on the left side, and the butt on the right side it is self evident that the writing should start on the tip side of the rod and go toward the butt end of the rod.

Your choice.

Enjoy.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2022 08:02AM

When you're looking over a rod, whether reading the specs on the rod decal, or reading any inscriptions that may be on the rod, aren't you holding the rod by the butt and reel seat area? I would orient any such media where it is most easily read, left to right.

As the majority of people are right handed, unless you had a specific request to the contrary, I would think you would want it to read from butt to tip.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2022 09:23AM

Douglas,

Your question has merit and as expected the response will be mixed and all for valid reasons.

If I hold the rod in my right hand and read left to tight it will be tip to butt.

If I hold the rod in my left hand and read left to tight it will be butt to tip.

So, you have to filter through the responses and do what you are most comfortable with, but the bottom line is, you should do what the end user (customer) wants.

Have fun

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 10:37AM

It’s personal preference. I always write from butt to tip, with the butt to my left. I just like it better that way.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 11:14AM

I am attempting a calligraphy logo right now for the first time. I save the clippings from Decal Connection, separate the backing and Scotch tape it on the edges to a paper pad with the sticky side up. The calligraphy ink adheres nicely to the surface so far. After the ink dries, I replace the backing until I a ready to apply. My problem right now is that my penmanship skills are terrible. What makes it even better (LOL) is that I have to draw or write the logo backwards.

I always go from butt to tip on logos.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2022 01:46PM

When I first started I really didn't think to much about it and just started from the butt to the tip on the right side of the rod. It just looked right to me. If I put decals on the left side it is from the tip to the butt. I put my logo center to right top of the blank and the blank and line description below that, butt to tip. Where do you guys put your logo? Top center, right or left side? Very interesting subject.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 01:50PM

For myself, since I wrap with my left hand, I have the power end of the rod wrapper on my right.

So, as I move down the rod, it is easier to wrap with the rod oriented in that direction.

As a result, the butt of the rod is to my right when it comes time to do the lettering.

So, without changing anything it is just simple and easy to letter from the tip to the but and concidentially - it works well for users to read the lettering when the rod is held in their right hand.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 05, 2022 09:28PM

I love this place! I do em' all tip to butt.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.sdns.net.rogers.com)
Date: June 07, 2022 04:43PM

Here’s a thought as well: if you put two sets of info (say rod specs and a name) do folks prefer to align the text such that when the rod is spinning in the dryer it can be read right side up continuously? Or write them such that when looking at the rod from left side it’s upright and when reading the other text on right side it’s upright.

I do generally like writing from butt to tip tho for all

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: June 08, 2022 11:05PM

Makes sense to me that the writing be easily read according to whether it’s being held in the left hand or the right. Unless the real seat has any writing or logos, then I will orient decals to match the hardware branding / lettering.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2022 05:20PM

Put the name on the rod on the same side the reel handle is on. This allows the name to show if the angler has his rods stored in a vertical rod holder fixture in his home or on his boat. The name should run left to right regardless.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster