I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Launcher Fishing Texas Lakes
Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2022 02:56PM

Check it out:

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Launcher Fishing Texas Lakes
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 02, 2022 04:01PM

I’ve been using a launcher type popping cork for a very long time. Use them for catching striped bass and hybrid stripe bass below spillways, as well as schooling bass. Also use them for saltwater fishing. They work great for Spanish mackerel, ladyfish, seatrout, red fish, plus others. Even caught a small tarpon using one. Using the smallest launcher you can throw a very light crappie jig a very long way. The secret to how well they cast is due to tying both the leader for the lure/fly/bait and the line to the reel to the top of the cork. This allows the weighted cork to pull the lure without any distance robbing helicoptering. Hard to believe how far you can throw one of these things. I’ve modified them by drilling a small hole in the top and glueing in a small glass rattle to make a little more sound.

Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2022 10:07PM

For many years, and even today, our best luck on white bass has been casting a Pop-R (hooks removed) trailing a 1/4 ounce Sassy Shad on an 18 inch lead behind the rear hook attachment on the Pop-R. A great way to fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2022 10:28AM

We have used them to get the casting distance needed to catch landlocked salmon from behind dams for decades.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 04, 2022 10:52PM

John,
For those folks catching the fish - do they smoke them.

I know that up in the midwest, smoking is one of the preferred way to eat these nice fish.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: June 06, 2022 09:36AM

I like them fried fresh. Not so great after the freezer.

Smoked Recipe:

6" x 12" long untreated oak board (I have some leftover flooring cut from fallen trees in my yard)
Pile the white bass filets onto the board 4 or 5 inches high and an inch away from the edges. Pack them onto the board tightly with your hands.
Season the top heavily with your own combination of spices.
Place the board on a grate over extremely hot coals and let the board catch on fire.
Close the lid to extinguish the flame and let it smoke. Depending how high your stack of fish is, about 30 minutes will work.
Check the mound of fish occasionally by inserting a blade into the thickest part.
When you see that the fish is cooked in the center remove the board.

From here you can make dips, or spreads.

My favorite is chopped pickles, celery, onions, cream cheese, a dab of mayo, salt and pepper. Mix the flaked fish and ingredients thoroughly. Enjoy!

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2022 12:08PM

Roger

They usually fry them. At the end of the video I showed a few seconds of the actual fish fry, even though they shot it in the wrong aspect ratio, so it goes...

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster