I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pitching rod for plastics/jigs
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: June 02, 2022 09:50AM

Currently own 2 each nrx 893/894. Love the blanks. Balance is mediocre but very lite in weight. Sensitivity is the gold standard. However I can’t get comfortable enough fishing these rods the last few years. I use to have and loved my falcon 6’-10” rods so I think the problem is the overall length. I also have built the Rodgeeks 4 series 76mhmf and the liberty 764. I got caught in the longer is better thought process. I’m considering moving on from these sticks and staying with something no longer than 7’3”.

Hobby builder so I’m considering building a new set of rods but not sure if available time is there for the builds. So factory rods are being looked at but I’m so picky which is the reason I build.

What is your blank of choice and the characteristics of a blank you look for when pitching to targets? Usually 1/4-1/2oz on weights living in the upper Midwest

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pitching rod for plastics/jigs
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 02, 2022 11:30AM

My personal favorite for what you describe is an NFC SJ736 for the heavier end of that and a MB 706-1(HM) for the lighter side.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.sub-174-240-233.myvzw.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 12:48PM

I need to do more research on nfc. Always had trouble understanding their rating system. Always expected them to be similar to loomis. Can you elaborate on those 2 blanks comparing to any blank or factory rod to compare.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 02, 2022 02:24PM

Assuming you don't follow the CCS numbers,

The MB706-1 is listed as a GLX2 remaster. It is listed as a Medium Heavy and a fast action. It is perfect for pitching light plastics at docks and wood. 84" length and has a strong taper. Whacky, Texas rig, shaky head... that is the wheel house.

The SJ736 is my workhorse on the Coosa chain where we don't have the heaviest of cover. Mostly rock, dock, and water willow. It is listed as Heavy with a fast action. If I classified rods in those terms I would call it more of a Mag Medium Heavy. I use it mostly pitching 3/8oz to 1/2oz jigs. The tip is fast enough to really load and assist the pitches. It is light in weight and mine are built balanced. All day use is no problem with either.

From what I understand the NFC rating system is line/length/power-pieces. IE: MB706-1 is a Mag Bass/7'/6 power-1 piece. Their power rating is a comparative measure between the other rods in that line on a scale from 0-9. (I am 99% sure on this. Aleks or others can correct me if I am wrong) So the SJ736 is 7'3" but the 6 power is stronger than the MB 6 power because the SJ taper is more aggressive which gives it different properties in the backbone. It is more powerful and the tip is a touch faster.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2022 04:24PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 02, 2022 03:05PM

I have the NFC xray SJ736 and MB736. I agree with Aaron above that the SJ736 would be the one you want. However, a 1/2 oz weight plus a heavy plastic is close to an ounce and that is too much for the SJ736. I've started building on Point Blank and I like them better than the xrays. They are a touch lighter for the same power, balance better, and I just prefer the feel. They are also more expensive given the long term sale going on with NFC. In your situation I would go with the 7'3" in either the MH or H. I built on the H and find it to be extremely versatile. Light tip allows a wide range of baits to be thrown, but it has tons of backbone to get fish out of heavy cover. Another option would be the Rainshadow Immortal 7'3" MH. It may be rated medium heavy but it is super stout. Not as light weight overall, nor as soft a tip as the point blanks. I'm sure the Rainshadow Eternity is great, but I have no experience with them.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: June 02, 2022 04:00PM

Peter Yawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the NFC xray SJ736 and MB736. I agree with
> Aaron above that the SJ736 would be the one you
> want. However, a 1/2 oz weight plus a heavy
> plastic is close to an ounce and that is too much
> for the SJ736. I've started building on Point
> Blank and I like them better than the xrays. They
> are a touch lighter for the same power, balance
> better, and I just prefer the feel. They are also
> more expensive given the long term sale going on
> with NFC. In your situation I would go with the
> 7'3" in either the MH or H. I built on the H and
> find it to be extremely versatile. Light tip
> allows a wide range of baits to be thrown, but it
> has tons of backbone to get fish out of heavy
> cover. Another option would be the Rainshadow
> Immortal 7'3" MH. It may be rated medium heavy but
> it is super stout. Not as light weight overall,
> nor as soft a tip as the point blanks. I'm sure
> the Rainshadow Eternity is great, but I have no
> experience with them.

I have 2 point blank 7’mhf builds and love them however they don’t have a H in 7’. How does the 73 mh and H compare? Thanks

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 02, 2022 05:04PM

I have 2 rods built on the SJ 736 X ray blank. Sensitivity will be right there with the NRX. They're pebble counters in that respect. Power wise, I wouldn't consider them fish haulers, so I don't use them when I am going to need to pull a fish out of heavy cover. For me they're more for fishing sparse laydowns, or moderate weed cover. If you like fishing a weightless 5" Senko, the SJ 736 has got to be about as good as it gets as far as blanks go. And being great for Senkos means it's also a great soft jerkbait rod. And it's also an awesome lighter Texas rigged soft plastics rod

What Aaron said as far as the type of cover he fishes on the Coosa chain is IMO, where the rod really shines. 3/8 - 1/2 oz football jig with trailer is right in its' wheel house. Definitely a versatile rod that does a lot of thing more than well.

If you are looking for a heavy cover rod though. I would look elsewhere. The Immortal IMMC72MH blank that Peter mentioned is an awesome heavy cover blank. It's not a well balanced blank though. I absolutely love the rod I have built on the blank, but I added weight to the butt to counter act its tip heaviness. With the weight added the rod fishes like a dream. The tip doesn't load as well as the SJ 736, but if you need to get a fish out of cover .... any kind of cover. The IMMC72MH will get the job done. It's vicious on a hook set, and has excellent sensitivity. If you are looking for a heavy cover rod, it's definitely a blank to consider.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: June 02, 2022 05:05PM

I also like the Point Blanks,
Here are some CSS number FYI:
NFC X-ray MB736 - AA = 71, IP=727 gm
NFC X-ray SJ736 - AA =75, IP= 793 gm
PB701MHF - AA = 78, IP = 801 gm
PB731MXF. - AA = 82, IP = 764 gm
PB731MHXF- AA = 79, IP = 826 gm
PB731HXF - AA = 77, IP = 947 gm
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: June 03, 2022 02:40PM

"Sensitivity" in the context of fishing rods refers to the angler's ability to perceive movement. It's not difficult to accurately and honestly measure movement [sensitivity] in a rod blank. If a rod maker had a blank that was exceptionally sensitive that rod maker would most certainly publicize that fact, including numbers!
Maybe some pecuLiar motive causes anglers to invent both the size/number of fish caught and the sensitivity of fish rods?

Posted by: Keith George (50.228.17.---)
Date: June 08, 2022 12:03PM

For NFC blanks, look hard at the X-ray SJ724 & SJ725. The 724 would be for the lighter weights and the 725 for anything over 3/8. These blanks are top of the line and very sensitive (as discussed this is subjective).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster